Merging posts is dumb

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Yeah it’s not my favourite new feature, because I post regularly in a main thread my posts now get muddied together.

I understand it’s probably a move to prevent flooding/spamming the same thread and getting post count higher, but it’s a bit naff for daily users…
Yes precisely just posted something in the Aio ps5 thread and no one gets notifications about it

Reactions: KiiWii

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I think this is an old feature that initialy got lost when gbatemp updated to xenoforo 3.

Personally, I like the feature and it should still allow for non-merged double posts if the post is older than 24h.
So one post every 24h if you want avoid it.. Pfft
Guess you can avoid if you reply to a post

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
And Btw. You can somehow still spam a thread if there is a new post every minute
if you can avoid merging if you post after another user posting

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Merging of posts has always been a thing but as said earlier it seemed to disappear for a while there.

While I understand why it happens I would agree that maybe editing/merging a post that has been previously been read means the edit get lost by other posts/questions that do not specifically apply to the post/subject discussed, therefore encouraging another post to be made later repeating the earleir edit.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Merging/editing posts used to mark the thread as "unread" for users, to let them know there have been updates, so that would be nice to have back.

And the automerge time limit used to be shorter?

Anyway, the feature was absent when the forum was moved to the new software, it's been implemented again, now it just needs tweaking.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This auto merging option is nice as this no chat, its about information. We also dont like thread bumping or double threads. So "first thinking, then writting". For direct conversation gbatemp has a chat, too.
And yes like Veho says, maybe if possible some tweaking to mark this post as unread or edited, but normaly a user will make a notification "EDIT:"which a experienced user will see and read it.

Maybe there is also a tweak blocking the quote in the reply directly under the original post, too. 😋

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Minox and Kwyjor

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This thing of merging posts is exactly what I've noticed yesterday in my GBC colorization thread.

It already exists in forums like Super Mario Bros. X and ROMhacking.net (yes, THAT ROMhacking.net).

UnderJinx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If it's because of some users is spamming threads, then can you just "send them on a vacation"
or ban them. instead of hitting us regular users

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@spoggi This is about automatism, because you cant check them all manually, or will you? And you will give every user which does mulitpost a temporary ban? Naaa.. If it would have been only a smal number, nobody would have say anything, but its spreading enormly.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It was common before, then it broke and now it's back. Do you guys how lovely it is not to need to merge posts manually? It's a bliss!
Does it not bump the post anymore? I haven't been paying attention...

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry to bump this, but...

Yes, the new automerge feature is strange.

Before it was 10/15 minute wait in order to avoid posts merged.
But now, even if two posts are months old, as long as last and new post is made by the sane user, it will automerge with the "last edited by USER just now" legend when it happens.

I get its annoying to post continually, but this automerge just killed some threads with constant posts. I'm talking about the "post here funny pictures" thread. I mean, the thread was active by the same 5/6 members that continually posts pictures.
Now it's not.

Can't we go back to old waiting 10/15 minutes in-between same user post in order to prevent automerge system?

Reactions: UnderJinx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol