Hacking Discussion mercury tilt contact as a jig ?

aeropic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seen on a french forum an idea to use a mercury tilt switch as a contact to emulate the Tegra home button.
" hackintendo com ! tutoriaux ! switch ! modifier-son-joycon-rcm-avec-contacteur-mercure" (replace ! with slash and add the missing dots ...)

Besides the fact the guy uses pins 10 and 9 (I would prefer 1 and 10) what do you think of this idea ?
When the switch is used vertically with the joycons attached no contact is present, when upside down the contact is done.
But when the joycon is detached, there could be a contact during motion or when the joycon is horizontal... Is this a problem ?

2019-08-20_22-15-54.png

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Mercury is highly toxic and import is forbidden in some countries. I would not recommend this. There are similar switches without mercury available.

aeropic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mercury is highly toxic and import is forbidden in some countries. I would not recommend this. There are similar switches without mercury available.

Besides the toxicity what do you think of using a tilt switch inside the joycon ?

Krushx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could insert a tilt switch, but I'd prefer using a reed switch. Hold a magnet on it, check. Take the magnet away, normal joycon.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I would just solder a 8-10k resistor in there and be done with it but if you are happy with it go for it. But keep in mind you will need a resistor anyway because i bet you don't want the Joy-Con disconnecting randomly (based on angle) which is what would happen each time the switch is active and shorts to GND.

Reactions: aeropic

aeropic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would just solder a 8-10k resistor in there and be done with it but if you are happy with it go for it. But keep in mind you will need a resistor anyway because i bet you don't want the Joy-Con disconnecting randomly (based on angle) which is what would happen each time the switch is active and shorts to GND.

Do you mean that connecting pin 10 to ground disconnects the Joy-Con ?
And adding a resistor in serial would prevent this ? Good to know, thanks.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, a resistor would limit current flow to just enough for RCM detection but not enough to break the communication between Switch and Joy-Con. The other pin is actually used while the Switch talks to the Joy-Con.

Reactions: aeropic

CraftyCanine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a magnetic reed switch. Then just buy a really powerful magnet and store it in your bag with your Switch. Whenever you want to RCM, just hold the magnet to the bottom portion of the joycon and hold volume up! Works perfectly every time and it was a pretty simple solder job. I'm still not allowed to post links so I can't share the link but just search for "magnetic reed switch". The tutorial I followed was by gallymimu!

EDIT: That was actually my fifth post so I can post links now. Here's the tutorial I followed: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-another-magnetic-reed-switch-rcm-installation.505438/

Last edited by CraftyCanine,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1