Homebrew menuhax, it won't autoboot to rxTools?

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello guys, i'm almost done following this guide.
But i have one small problem. I have followed this guide:
Launching rxTools at boot - Menuhax!

These steps will setup Menuhax, which we will configure to allow rxTools to boot the moment you turn on your 3DS/2DS! IMO this is the best way to launch rxTools.

Note:
You must be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware. This means your sysnand has to be on or between 9.0 to 9.2 system version. To update to 9.0 or 9.2, scroll down to the section How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2 and follow the instructions, then come back here.

1. Download the Homebrew Starter Pack and extract the contents to your SD card root. Put the SD card back in your 3DS.
  2. Set a random theme on your 3DS, then change it back to the default theme.
  3. Launch browserhax (it took MANY tries for me to finally get it to boot). Zoom-in all the way to the slider at the top-left and touch the very right of the bar. It may work touching the very left side as well.
  4. Once in the homebrew menu, run the menuhax_manager v2.0 installer and install menuhax.
    • (At this point, I also set a custom button setup so that it loads sysnand only when I hold R. This is Type 2 in the config menu.)
  5. After all that, test if menuhax boots you into the homebrew menu at cold boot. Just turn off your 3DS and turn it back on. Be sure to hold a button (or not), depending on what config you chose. The default is to hold L during boot. In my example above, I don't have to hold anything to launch menuhax, but if I hold R, then menuhax won't launch.
  6. Now to set it to boot rxTools instead, download the latest CTRBootManager. Rename the boot.3dsx that is on your SD card to boot_hb.3dsx. Then place the boot.3dsx and boot.cfg from the CTRBootManager download onto your SD card root.
  7. OPTIONAL: Open up boot.cfg with notepad and change this:
to this:

Now save the boot.cfg, eject your SD, and put it in your 3DS

When you turn on your 3DS, you should see the red screen, followed by the rxTools splash screen. If you chose a custom button setup in the Menuhax installer, keep that in mind. By default, you must hold L when booting to let Menuhax run at boot-up. In my case, I chose TYPE 2, and selected the button R. This means that Menuhax will always run at boot unless I hold R (which would bring me to sysnand instead of rxTools).

I don't know if i messed up, or if i missed a step... But when i don't touch anything it will just boot up to the normal sysnand...
And when i hold L while booting it up, the screen is flickering with different colors and it MIGHT boot it up to emunand.
The only reason i write MIGHT is because it won't always do that.
I have tried it like 20 times now, and 18 out of 20 times, i get this screen: http://i.imgur.com/hoZNxFW.jpg

And when i try to boot browserhax using this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/

It just forward me to the rxTools menu.
How do i fix this?:(:(
And why can't i boot browserhax anymore? :(

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You probably have the boot.3dsx of CTRBootManager instead of the boot.3dsx of the homebrew launcher. That was intended (in the guide), but if you want to access the HBL again, simply rename boot_hb.3dsx back to boot.3dsx, or increase the timeout in boot.cfg so that you have enough time to select the HBL.

As for your button combination, you just need to launch Menuhax_installer again and change the config.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You probably have the boot.3dsx of CTRBootManager instead of the boot.3dsx of the homebrew launcher. That was intended (in the guide), but if you want to access the HBL again, simply rename boot_hb.3dsx back to boot.3dsx, or increase the timeout in boot.cfg so that you have enough time to select the HBL.

As for your button combination, you just need to launch Menuhax_installer again and change the config.
Thank you! I will try that :D

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well i have another problem, i can't access emunand from clicking on the rxtools app in the homebrew menu...I get an endless black screen instead...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well i have another problem, i can't access emunand from clicking on the rxtools app in the homebrew menu...I get an endless black screen instead...
You probably have an outdated version of the rxtools launcher app, try the one included with the rxTools version you were using, or if that doesn't help, there are some alternate launchers floating around, some are more stable than others.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You probably have an outdated version of the rxtools launcher app, try the one included with the rxTools version you were using, or if that doesn't help, there are some alternate launchers floating around, some are more stable than others.
But isn't Menuhax the best of those alternative launchers?

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is the one from the rxtool version I was using...i have been following the install rxtools guide for 3ds and 2ds and I'm using the one in the 10-02 build, since it's the one in the guide...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But isn't Menuhax the best of those alternative launchers?
Menuhax isn't a launcher. He still needs a .3dsx file that launches rxTools.
It is the one from the rxtool version I was using...i have been following the install rxtools guide for 3ds and 2ds and I'm using the one in the 10-02 build, since it's the one in the guide...
I saw another one that people claimed was more stable than the 10.02 one but I don't have a link to it. If you want, you can launch it directly from CtrBootManager instead. CtrBootManager seemed to boot correctly 99% of the time for me, at least with *hax 2.1. With *hax 2.5 it was unstable.

D

Deleted-236924

9/28 forever
Everything works good

What if you hold L as rxTools boots? Does it get you to the menu?
Then when you manually select boot rxTools rxMode emunand does it work? as opposed to letting it do it automatically.

Reactions: wormdood

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I get a red lower screen and then an endless black one on top and bottom screen same when i select PastaCFW...it seems to only boot with Ninjhax1...

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Menuhax isn't a launcher. He still needs a .3dsx file that launches rxTools.

I saw another one that people claimed was more stable than the 10.02 one but I don't have a link to it. If you want, you can launch it directly from CtrBootManager instead. CtrBootManager seemed to boot correctly 99% of the time for me, at least with *hax 2.1. With *hax 2.5 it was unstable.

So you are saying that you don't recommend the 10.02??
And where can i download this CtrBootManager 2.1? The one in the guide is 2.5 :(

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's the first time I set up a CFW...I never used a previous build.I started with my 3ds at sysnand 4.3.0-9E , for convenience I decided to set up the 4.x MSET exploit. I also installed rxtools as an app to be launched from homebrew with ninjhax 1.1...I then updated my sysnand to 9.2 with a modified update pack that would keep my MSET low
..It was successful, then I did two things: install the 4.X DG Mset through my ds flashcart, and put the slot key file back to my pc. Afterwards I decided to install menuhax and go from ninjhax 1 to 2.5. I downloaded the starter pack, unzipped it to the root of my sd card, kept the rxtools.3dsx as it was from ninjhax1, installed menuhax through ninjhax, kept the boot as default, tried to launch rxtools from the app in homebrew from menuhax and Ninjhax..;same result: a red lower screen and an endless black screen...I have the black theme set-up in emunand but my nands are unlinked...

I can go to Emunand with the MSET exploit but I can't when selecting the rxtools app in homebrew launcher...

adiktus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And where can i download this CtrBootManager 2.1? The one in the guide is 2.5 :(

I use 10.02, and the same CtrBootManager included in the guide, and I haven't got problems. Sometimes, I do get that yellow screen but I think that's menuhax failing, not ctrbootmanager nor rxtools.

CtrBootManager has been pretty stable for me, and I don't have to use the ninjhax rxtools launcher (haven't touched it, actually :P). Just make sure to configure the correct key combination in the menuhax manager.

It's the first time I set up a CFW...I never used a previous build.I started with my 3ds at sysnand 4.3.0-9E , for convenience I decided to set up the 4.x MSET exploit. I also installed rxtools as an app to be launched from homebrew with ninjhax 1.1...I then updated my sysnand to 9.2 with a modified update pack that would keep my MSET low
..It was successful, then I did two things: install the 4.X DG Mset through my ds flashcart, and put the slot key file back to my pc. Afterwards I decided to install menuhax and go from ninjhax 1 to 2.5. I downloaded the starter pack, unzipped it to the root of my sd card, kept the rxtools.3dsx as it was from ninjhax1, installed menuhax through ninjhax, kept the boot as default, tried to launch rxtools from the app in homebrew from menuhax and Ninjhax..;same result: a red lower screen and an endless black screen...I have the black theme set-up in emunand but my nands are unlinked...

I can go to Emunand with the MSET exploit but I can't when selecting the rxtools app in homebrew launcher...

Same as above. If you're having trouble with the rxtools homebrew launcher, give CtrBootManager a try.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I use 10.02, and the same CtrBootManager included in the guide, and I haven't got problems. Sometimes, I do get that yellow screen but I think that's menuhax failing, not ctrbootmanager nor rxtools.

CtrBootManager has been pretty stable for me, and I don't have to use the ninjhax rxtools launcher (haven't touched it, actually :P). Just make sure to configure the correct key combination in the menuhax manager.

Same as above. If you're having trouble with the rxtools homebrew launcher, give CtrBootManager a try.

I have now followed the guide and i have also configured a key combination (i choosed R), but i still get the yellow screen (majority of the time). And it will just freeze there...
Is there a better way to boot to rxtools without having to suffering by the yellow screen that freezes up everything?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The latest version of CtrBootManager seems to be 1.2 so I doubt that. I wasn't talking about the CtrBootManager version though.
The 10.02 version of rxTools is stable and I've used the same version myself, I just never used the .3dsx that was included with it (which I heard is kinda unstable with *hax 2.x), I used CtrBootManager to launch the /rxtools/sys/code.bin directly instead. I had the same issue as you when trying to boot the rxtools.3dsx included, but CtrBootManager is more convenient as it works in conjunction with menuhax autoboot and autoboots rxTools if you don't move the cursor to one of the other options (which you can configure yourself to boot any CFW or any .3dsx homebrew directly from the menu)

As for 2.1 I meant the homebrew launcher payload itself. I don't know whether this is still the case but last time I tried it the 2.5 payload was unstable with CtrBootManager and when launching CFW directly from HBL. That was a while ago though.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The latest version of CtrBootManager seems to be 1.2 so I doubt that. I wasn't talking about the CtrBootManager version though.
The 10.02 version of rxTools is stable and I've used the same version myself, I just never used the .3dsx that was included with it (which I heard is kinda unstable with *hax 2.x), I used CtrBootManager to launch the /rxtools/sys/code.bin directly instead. I had the same issue as you when trying to boot the rxtools.3dsx included, but CtrBootManager is more convenient as it works in conjunction with menuhax autoboot and autoboots rxTools if you don't move the cursor to one of the other options (which you can configure yourself to boot any CFW or any .3dsx homebrew directly from the menu)

As for 2.1 I meant the homebrew launcher payload itself. I don't know whether this is still the case but last time I tried it the 2.5 payload was unstable with CtrBootManager and when launching CFW directly from HBL. That was a while ago though.

Is there a guide of how to do it your way?:blush::blush:
Because according to the guide, you "remove" the boot.3dsx by changing it's name to boot_hb.3dsx.
So isn't that the same way you do it?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is there a guide of how to do it your way?:blush::blush:
Because according to the guide, you "remove" the boot.3dsx by changing it's name to boot_hb.3dsx.
So isn't that the same way you do it?
I used this guide (the text based one not the video): https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/
There is a spoiler tag that says "ALTERNATIVE METHOD if you want to install multiples CFW and use Homebrew launcher at the same time", that's the instructions for CtrBootManager :)

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I used this guide (the text based one not the video): https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/
There is a spoiler tag that says "ALTERNATIVE METHOD if you want to install multiples CFW and use Homebrew launcher at the same time", that's the instructions for CtrBootManager :)
Thank you!
But after comparing the link you wrote and this guide:

Launching rxTools at boot - Menuhax!

These steps will setup Menuhax, which we will configure to allow rxTools to boot the moment you turn on your 3DS/2DS! IMO this is the best way to launch rxTools.

Note:
You must be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware. This means your sysnand has to be on or between 9.0 to 9.2 system version. To update to 9.0 or 9.2, scroll down to the section How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2 and follow the instructions, then come back here.

1. Download the Homebrew Starter Pack and extract the contents to your SD card root. Put the SD card back in your 3DS.
  2. Set a random theme on your 3DS, then change it back to the default theme.
  3. Launch browserhax (it took MANY tries for me to finally get it to boot). Zoom-in all the way to the slider at the top-left and touch the very right of the bar. It may work touching the very left side as well.
  4. Once in the homebrew menu, run the menuhax_manager v2.0 installer and install menuhax.
    • (At this point, I also set a custom button setup so that it loads sysnand only when I hold R. This is Type 2 in the config menu.)
  5. After all that, test if menuhax boots you into the homebrew menu at cold boot. Just turn off your 3DS and turn it back on. Be sure to hold a button (or not), depending on what config you chose. The default is to hold L during boot. In my example above, I don't have to hold anything to launch menuhax, but if I hold R, then menuhax won't launch.
  6. Now to set it to boot rxTools instead, download the latest CTRBootManager. Rename the boot.3dsx that is on your SD card to boot_hb.3dsx. Then place the boot.3dsx and boot.cfg from the CTRBootManager download onto your SD card root.
  7. OPTIONAL: Open up boot.cfg with notepad and change this:
to this:

Now save the boot.cfg, eject your SD, and put it in your 3DS

When you turn on your 3DS, you should see the red screen, followed by the rxTools splash screen. If you chose a custom button setup in the Menuhax installer, keep that in mind. By default, you must hold L when booting to let Menuhax run at boot-up. In my case, I chose TYPE 2, and selected the button R. This means that Menuhax will always run at boot unless I hold R (which would bring me to sysnand instead of rxTools).

Is see no difference at all. I mean they are almost identical, Both of them let us download the same files. :(
Should i only follow the ALTERNATIVE METHOD? :(
And i can't download the CTRBootManager that you find in the ALTERNATIVE METHOD, its invalid:cry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.