menuhax, it won't autoboot to rxTools?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by theasker, Dec 21, 2015.

1. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Hello guys, i'm almost done following this guide.
    But i have one small problem. I have followed this guide:
    I don't know if i messed up, or if i missed a step... But when i don't touch anything it will just boot up to the normal sysnand...
    And when i hold L while booting it up, the screen is flickering with different colors and it MIGHT boot it up to emunand.
    The only reason i write MIGHT is because it won't always do that.
    I have tried it like 20 times now, and 18 out of 20 times, i get this screen: http://i.imgur.com/hoZNxFW.jpg

And when i try to boot browserhax using this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/

It just forward me to the rxTools menu.
    How do i fix this?:(:(
    And why can't i boot browserhax anymore? :(

2. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    You probably have the boot.3dsx of CTRBootManager instead of the boot.3dsx of the homebrew launcher. That was intended (in the guide), but if you want to access the HBL again, simply rename boot_hb.3dsx back to boot.3dsx, or increase the timeout in boot.cfg so that you have enough time to select the HBL.

As for your button combination, you just need to launch Menuhax_installer again and change the config.

3. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Thank you! I will try that :D

4. Amapola62

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Well i have another problem, i can't access emunand from clicking on the rxtools app in the homebrew menu...I get an endless black screen instead...

5. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Yea i also get that sometimes.. I have no idea why :(

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You probably have an outdated version of the rxtools launcher app, try the one included with the rxTools version you were using, or if that doesn't help, there are some alternate launchers floating around, some are more stable than others.

7. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    But isn't Menuhax the best of those alternative launchers?

8. Amapola62

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    It is the one from the rxtool version I was using...i have been following the install rxtools guide for 3ds and 2ds and I'm using the one in the 10-02 build, since it's the one in the guide...

9. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Menuhax isn't a launcher. He still needs a .3dsx file that launches rxTools.
    I saw another one that people claimed was more stable than the 10.02 one but I don't have a link to it. If you want, you can launch it directly from CtrBootManager instead. CtrBootManager seemed to boot correctly 99% of the time for me, at least with *hax 2.1. With *hax 2.5 it was unstable.

10. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    9/28 forever
    Everything works good

What if you hold L as rxTools boots? Does it get you to the menu?
    Then when you manually select boot rxTools rxMode emunand does it work? as opposed to letting it do it automatically.

wormdood likes this.
  11. Amapola62

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    I get a red lower screen and then an endless black one on top and bottom screen same when i select PastaCFW...it seems to only boot with Ninjhax1...

12. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    So you are saying that you don't recommend the 10.02??
    And where can i download this CtrBootManager 2.1? The one in the guide is 2.5 :(

13. Amapola62

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    It's the first time I set up a CFW...I never used a previous build.I started with my 3ds at sysnand 4.3.0-9E , for convenience I decided to set up the 4.x MSET exploit. I also installed rxtools as an app to be launched from homebrew with ninjhax 1.1...I then updated my sysnand to 9.2 with a modified update pack that would keep my MSET low
    ..It was successful, then I did two things: install the 4.X DG Mset through my ds flashcart, and put the slot key file back to my pc. Afterwards I decided to install menuhax and go from ninjhax 1 to 2.5. I downloaded the starter pack, unzipped it to the root of my sd card, kept the rxtools.3dsx as it was from ninjhax1, installed menuhax through ninjhax, kept the boot as default, tried to launch rxtools from the app in homebrew from menuhax and Ninjhax..;same result: a red lower screen and an endless black screen...I have the black theme set-up in emunand but my nands are unlinked...

I can go to Emunand with the MSET exploit but I can't when selecting the rxtools app in homebrew launcher...

14. adiktus

adiktus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2013
    United States
    I use 10.02, and the same CtrBootManager included in the guide, and I haven't got problems. Sometimes, I do get that yellow screen but I think that's menuhax failing, not ctrbootmanager nor rxtools.

CtrBootManager has been pretty stable for me, and I don't have to use the ninjhax rxtools launcher (haven't touched it, actually :P). Just make sure to configure the correct key combination in the menuhax manager.

Same as above. If you're having trouble with the rxtools homebrew launcher, give CtrBootManager a try.

15. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    I have now followed the guide and i have also configured a key combination (i choosed R), but i still get the yellow screen (majority of the time). And it will just freeze there...
    Is there a better way to boot to rxtools without having to suffering by the yellow screen that freezes up everything?

16. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The latest version of CtrBootManager seems to be 1.2 so I doubt that. I wasn't talking about the CtrBootManager version though.
    The 10.02 version of rxTools is stable and I've used the same version myself, I just never used the .3dsx that was included with it (which I heard is kinda unstable with *hax 2.x), I used CtrBootManager to launch the /rxtools/sys/code.bin directly instead. I had the same issue as you when trying to boot the rxtools.3dsx included, but CtrBootManager is more convenient as it works in conjunction with menuhax autoboot and autoboots rxTools if you don't move the cursor to one of the other options (which you can configure yourself to boot any CFW or any .3dsx homebrew directly from the menu)

As for 2.1 I meant the homebrew launcher payload itself. I don't know whether this is still the case but last time I tried it the 2.5 payload was unstable with CtrBootManager and when launching CFW directly from HBL. That was a while ago though.

17. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Is there a guide of how to do it your way?:blush::blush:
    Because according to the guide, you "remove" the boot.3dsx by changing it's name to boot_hb.3dsx.
    So isn't that the same way you do it?

18. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I used this guide (the text based one not the video): https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/
    There is a spoiler tag that says "ALTERNATIVE METHOD if you want to install multiples CFW and use Homebrew launcher at the same time", that's the instructions for CtrBootManager :)

19. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Thank you!
    But after comparing the link you wrote and this guide:

Is see no difference at all. I mean they are almost identical, Both of them let us download the same files. :(
    Should i only follow the ALTERNATIVE METHOD? :(
    And i can't download the CTRBootManager that you find in the ALTERNATIVE METHOD, its invalid:cry:

20. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    go with cakes.....
    :)