Menu 4.2 and Wii still wants an update? -

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by singur, Oct 14, 2009.

Oct 14, 2009
  1. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States
    I have this strange problem, I wonder if anybody else has it or know of a solution.
    I have a Wii USA, first gen, modded with Wiikey, was at 4.0U, everything was fine, had HBC installed, all backups and originals worked fine. Then 4.2 came, I've decided to install BootMii, usually I don't like to touch anything if it works (you know the saying, If it ain't broke...). Anyway, was getting ready to move up to 4.2 when I noticed something strange suddenly, when I try backups of , let's say Wii Sports Resort or Grand Slam Tennis (which worked before by the way), the disc channel said Wii System Update, when I start it, wants an update. Well, after that, I've uninstalled and re-installed BootMii and HBC a few times, but no change. Then I've upgraded to 4.2U following Zektor (Thank you very much) , but I still have the same problem, some older games work fine, originals work, but nothing new. Anybody seen this or has any suggestion how to fix it?
    Can't pretend that I understand everything.
    Appreciate any help rolleyes.gif

2. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Install Preloader/Startpatch 4.2.2U and enable 'block disc updates'

3. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    its because the discs have newer ios files on them then what is on your wii.Do like the previous poster said and get starfall or preloader and block disc updates.

4. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States
    I've tried StartPatch, but it quits with an error 1017 always. Don't know why.

5. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Try installing IOS36 with Trucha sign (use DOP-IOS v8 via HBC). Then try again to install Startpatch/Preloader. I used Zektors offline guide and had to do this step to overcome this update shit. Afterwards, you can re-install up-to-date IOS36 as per Zektor's offline guide.

6. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States
    Thanks, I should try, however, the interesting thing will be to understand why and how it happened, as I always do ad-literam what a good guide says, and I see no logical reason for something like this to happen. Right now it's just a puzzle for me.

7. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    install preloader then enable the block disc update...

8. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    He cant. I think he's lacking Trucha because he has clean IOS installs (receiving a ret=-1017 error). See post #5

9. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

No, no it is not because of that. This has been answered in the Safe Updater thread a week ago. Games will display the "update needed" on first run. It will scan your IOSes to make sure you have an equal or higher version on your Wii than the one included on the game disc. This occurs even with a system that has been updated with the normal Nintendo updater. As soon as it verifies (it will as all of the IOSes on his system are the latest versions) and the game will launch and no longer ask for the update. It is a good idea to use StartPatch and block updates anyway (for future firmware versions and games), but right now he's fine because he is running the latest of the latest. Please do not spread false information.

10. zektor

United States
    Again, no. He is receiving that error because he StartPatch requires IOS36 to be trucha signed AND es_identify patched. This has been discussed in the StartPatch thread as well.

To original poster:

Simply run DOP-IOS MOD v6, select to use IOS249 to run the application, then navigate to IOS36 and Press "A" a few times on it to download, sig patch and es_identify patch. Afterward, StartPatch will work.

11. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States
    Zektor, many thanks, you were right, so simple, but just to be on the safe side I've killed the internet connection, lunch the game and it worked. However, it seems I've lost the ability to play Euro games, I don't know if this is because of 4.2 or not.

12. zektor

United States

Are you running backups or retail games? How are you running them? Neogamma or other?

13. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Zektor saves the day. I accidentally omitted the ES patch part, my bad. Trying to work and bum around clearly doesn't agree with me. I had to do the ES_identify patch to get Preloader working. Although, the upgrade message stayed with me even after the first run so I had to have hacks in place

14. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh my god... What do we do?..

15. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States

Backups, passed thru WiiBrickBlocker and RegionFrii. Always did it this way and didn't have problems (if the game is confirmed to work on U region).

16. zektor

United States

Just use Neogamma 8 beta 3 and choose to force NTSC in the settings for the specific Euro game you want to play.

17. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Turning off your internet connection and doing a disc update doesn't do anything to stop it from updating. It updates from the stuff on the disc, not from the internet.

18. zektor

United States

Yup. Use StartPatch and block updates from disc AND block online updates. Then you should be pretty safe [​IMG]

19. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States

I know that, but I've used the same disk before, so that part I knew it was safe [​IMG] , I was worried it might try to connect.

20. singur
    OP

Newcomer singur Newbie

United States
    Thanks Zektor, I guess I'll try it, but I was wondering why after 4.2 no foreign disks work, it probably disabled the Wiikey? All the games that worked - not anymore. Just trying to understand.