Mental health in this crisis

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's see...my work threw me on absent leave since last wednesday. I was pretty pissed: we've got a skeleton ICT crew of 4 people, and I had already prepared most to work comfortably from home. Would have been the time to properly write documentation, overview active mailboxes and do all the non-urgent stuff. But then I was put on leave without any chance to even defend why this was needed (I mean: my boss knew. Even our directors had a pretty decent idea. But the decision to cut was made even higher, on a level where they most likely had no idea what the actual job we were doing aside from a vague description). It's understandable...I mean: with most of our stores closed, with what money were they going to pay me? ...but I was pissed nonetheless. Stupid wankers. :angry:

...but now (five days later) I've mostly settled in. I knew there were still quite some household tasks to be done in the house after the move/renovations, and I've got more than enough time to be a dad to our newborn child. It's certainly better for my girlfriend, who has a much needed helping hand(1). I've picked up jogging, sleep out longer, read more and we often go for a walk (it's pretty sunny in this area). If I wanted to I can play more video games but I'm fine with the prospect that I CAN when I want to.
Ow...gotta go change a diaper. Yup...an unemployed person's work is never finished. ;)

(1): erm...in a literal sense, she doesn't NEED me for those tasks. But it's absolutely a convenience if one of us comforts our child while the other one prepares her bottle.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We currently have a complete lockdown where I live. No more than two people from different households are allowed together outside at any time.

This crisis has been the best thing to happen to my mental health in a long time. It has never been so peaceful and quiet in my village. Combined with the sunny springtime weather it helps me relax. I'm not anxious at all. My workplace has closed down for the time, so I'm at home. Everything has slowed down. There is less traffic and almost nobody outside making noise. I can't cope well with constant stress and noise, so this is like a vacation for my nerves.

I'm working at hobby projects, playing videogames from my backlog and talk to my friends via discord. Maybe staying home is easier for me because I have aspergers. I can still go jogging in the woods too.

The only time where things get stressful is when I need to go out to buy food. Long waiting times and unfriendly/unreasonable people are a problem. Like that one guy who doesn't understand why he shouldn't stand so close to me at the checkout and gets angry when I point it out.

If everybody would understand the urgency of the current situation and respect the safety measures it would be fine. Unresonable people are the main issue as far as I can tell. The infection rate is slowing down in Germany, so it seems to be working, hopefully buying the hospitals some time until a vaccine has been created.

Of course I want this to be over soon. But I honestly believe that the current slowdown can be a good thing for our stressed minds and fast modern lives. I think I will miss that quite a bit when normality returns.

Last edited by Reynardine,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
same here. how do you guys calm yourself down about this? I can't seem to get calm and keep overthinking about this pandemic.
To me it's very simple - I do my best to manage and I hope others do the same. If things then don't quite go as planned - well, at least I tried. There is no situation where panicking helps.

Reactions: Deleted User

supersega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just started working from home today, now that the tickets are trickling in slowly and less people "need"/want laptops to work from home. I hope the cases go on the decline though, for both everyone's sake and my mental health; I started going out with a particular someone right before this stuff happened, and they don't text very much or very well, so our communication is now super limited. Which of course makes me overthink, get worried that we are now doomed because again... not too much communication. So then I get anxiety and it spirals into a point where if I'm not busy, I get depressed because of it. Funny how that be...

mezz0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Anxiety & epilepsy and ulcers made me turn to weed at a fairly young age. Given our current movement restrictions I feel I'm losing it. My 3 year old makes me keep it together... not sure I'm doing a good enough job though, which makes me even more anxious. I feel for everyone who suffers actual mental health issues, they must feel like this is the end of the world... (which it might well be).

cyo_the_vile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not actually at my house in USA. I'm doing ok. My wife is taking it all fine so far but I think if COVID shit goes on beyond summer she will break down.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm a clinical psychologist myself, and find it hard that I can't reach out to those needing me right now. Some patient I give counseling through videochat, but it's not for everyone. I do feel once this corona crisis us over, my schedule will be swamped. But let me give you some advice how to get through the next few weeks without being swinged towards a depression.

- Keep routine. Get out of bed on a decent hour, eat at regular hours and don't go to bed too late. In a few weeks, life will go back to normal and it will be hard getting your sleep cycle back on track once it's derailed

- Keep occupied with something useful. I've seen some videos of people climbing their stairs and walls, but while fun, they add to your thoughts that you're locked up with nothing to do. Use this time useful: learn new skills you always wanted, bingwatch that show you never got around to. Actually do some research about politics and health care. The internet is an almost infinite source of information, use it for something good and keep your mind occupied. For those almost starting college, you can even get some ACE credits and get a jumpstart.

Keep healthy: A no brainer, but make sure you eat healthy, get enough vitamines and keep being active. If you can't go outside for a walk or aren't allowed to do so, try moving indoors. If you still have a wii balance board, now is the time to get it out. You might also want to consider getting vitamines, as vitamine D levels will go down due to the lack of sunlight.

DO NOT get carried away on social media. As toxic as it already was, it is even more now. I see people posting everything they do, making 20 posts a day because they need confirmation in life. Focus on yourself, external approval isn't what you need now. Also, watch out for fake news, there is a lot going around now. One google search can easily debunk or verify news regarding corona.

Reactions: SunTea07

Undertow76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to worry about the things I can change and reflecting, at home for about a month now!
Playing videogames inbetween watching the news on youtube, and watching movies to take my mind off of things.
Worrying about the future and making conspiracy theories in my head about what this economy is going to do and how it will effect everything.
Sleeping in later and later today was my personal record : woke up at 2 in the afternoon!!
Miss seeing my family and friends and spending time with them, been texting more now.
I also am saving aloooooot of money not going out to eat at resturants, I am shocked at how much I spend actually.
Trying to lower my bills so I can save money because my hours have been reduced, less lights and water useage, I just have the TV, kitchen light, and laptop on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario