Memphis Beat

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by TrolleyDave, Jun 25, 2010.

Jun 25, 2010

Memphis Beat by TrolleyDave at 4:57 AM (676 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    "Memphis Beat centers on Dwight Hendricks, a quirky Memphis police detective with an intimate connection to the city, a passion for blues music and a close relationship with his mother."

IDMB Link

Just finished watching the first episode of this show and I gotta admit I really enjoyed it. Admittedly it doesn't bring anything particularly new to genre but the characters are well written, the acting was solid and the story was good. I've always been a fan of Jason Lee since seeing him in Mallrats, but he's always done comedy before so wasn't entirely sure he'd be able to pull this off but he did any excellent job. If they can keep up the quality all the way through the season then I can see myself enjoying it alot. Oh, and I loved the soundtrack - even if it did have an Elvis tune in there. lol

2. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I was half curious about this show. I, too, have enjoyed Lee since Mallrats (That kid is BACK on the escalator again!) and wasn't quite sure if he'd handle a "drama" so well. I mean, i have faith in his acting... i just haven't seen him in a serious role, as of yet.

However, i learned something. The other day i rewatched Road Trip. And i thought to myself... i REALLY don't like DJ Squalls. I can't put my finger on it, but he irritates the hell out of me. I saw his face on a preview for Memphis Beat, and my interest sank a bit.

That won't stop me from checking it out though. My love of Jason Lee will always be higher than my dislike of Squalls [​IMG]

Oh, and the whole Singer By Night thing is fucking key. I REALLY want to hit up memphis, nashville and new orleans for their music scene. So very badly do i want to spend a week in each town. I loves me some blues, jazz and bluegrass.

3. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    I tend to love shows on USA Burn Notice Royal Pains White Collar they all have a good balance of comedy and a good storyline

4. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Burn Notice is a tough one for me. I hate the lead guy. I don't know why, but he just screams "mouth breather," but he's charming. The chick is irritating, but lovable, and bruce campbell needs to stick with the Undead... But i enjoy the show. I only started watching it a few weeks ago, and it's a good, charming show.

Royal Pains is another one. I don't "want" to watch it, but if it's on, i'll enjoy it.

White Collar is just a superb show all around. I can't get enough of that one.

I'm hoping for Memphis Beat to fall in between White Collar & Burn Notice on My Enjoyment Scale.

5. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Snap! It's one of the few places I'd really love to visit in the States. Always been a fan of jazz and blues. The soundtrack to the first episode is great. And if it's Jason Lee doing the actual singing in the nightclub scenes then he's got a belter of a voice.