Memory Lane #1: Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire turn 15 years old

pokemon rs.png

Welcome to the first-ever issue of the new “Memory Lane” article series, where I’ll be writing about influential and nostalgic games and hardware that have reached an anniversary milestone, in order to celebrate them. Today, we’ll be tackling a set of two popular games that many people hold near and dear to their hearts. If you’ve read the title, or seen the promotion image for this thread, then you of course already have figured out what those games are! Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire versions, which as of today, March 19, released 15 years ago, in North America. Comparatively, it launched four months prior in Japan, and four months later in Europe.

Pokemon - Ruby Version (Uewewewe) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Rubewwwwwwwwy Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon -dfsfssdf Ruby Version (U) (V1.1).png Pokemon - ewrwerRuby Version (U) (V1.1).png

After the incredible success of the Pokemon franchise on the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, an anime series that had taken the world by storm, and merchandise sales that were through the roof, GameFreak was ready to release a brand new Pokemon experience on Nintendo’s latest handheld, the Game Boy Advance. These new games would take the series from 8-bit into the world of 32-bit games, offering much more color and detail and new features than any entry before.

IVs and EVs were changed and Abilities and Natures were added, radically changing the competitive scene. The Apricorns from Gold, Silver, and Crystal became something even better, as Berries were introduced, letting players plant and water their own crops which would result in hold-items that could do a wealth of things in battles. You could now also fight Pokemon in 2v2 matches, called Double Battles. There were Secret Bases you could decorate and show off to friends, and the Contest minigames, which let your Pokemon compete in a more strategic way than just battling. And finally, we of course had a whole 135 new creatures to catch and train, in a brand new region that had no ties to Kanto or Johto. This last addition was controversial at the time, as the lack of returning older Pokemon made the games feel much different from Gen 1 and 2, of which fans had grown quite accustomed to and comfortable with. Sales for Ruby and Sapphire would peak at about 16 million units sold, and while it became one of the most popular games of all time on the GBA, it would never reach the same popularity that Red and Blue (27 mil) and Gold and Silver (23 mil) did.

Pokemon - Ruby Veeqqrsion (U) (V1.1).png

Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (Vr1.1).png Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) 1(V1.1).png daycare.png

Hoenn was quite the unique region, with its water-laden routes that required boat travel, or vast amounts of ocean (7.8/10 too much water) that you had to traverse, and even dive through. The games’ soundtrack will forever be remembered for the blaring trumpets in its themes. It had perhaps the most obtuse puzzle in accessing a legendary Pokemon, requiring Braille in order to get past. In 2005, the third version to the games--Emerald--would release. This game refined the formula created in Ruby and Sapphire, and added in major changes, such as the beloved Battle Frontier. Eleven years later, the two games would be remade in 3D, in the form of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which received moderate-to-positive reviews, and would eventually come close to selling the same amount of their predecessors, at 14 million units sold.

The generation of players that started their Pokemon experience with these two games have likely grown up now, fifteen years after release. There’s no doubt that Ruby and Sapphire are beloved by many, and are likely considered by many to be the peak of the series as well. So, then, what are your thoughts? Are these two games something you remember fondly, or did you skip these titles, and move on from the series? Or are you perhaps more familiar with the remakes that came later down the line? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

If you liked this article, and would like to see more of these anniversary celebrations in the future, be sure to comment as well, and mention which game you'd like to see featured in future threads!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I still remember actually reading about R/S in I think Nintendo Power or possible Game Informer, still I remember having my mind blown when I saw double battles! R/S truly felt an innovation on the Pokemon games, even if they kept most of the core features.

Reactions: THYPLEX

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Nice new editorial series, I look forward to reading more of them as they are written and published!
I never had Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire. I did, however, play Emerald. It still remains one of the best Pokemon games in the series that I have played to this day, but it will NEVER beat my personal favorite, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness for the Nintendo GameCube.

Reactions: Chary

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus 15 years already? My 2nd favorite game was Pokemon Emerald, I don't think I played these ones..maybe I did. I remember buying it....I mean getting as as a gift from my mother and seeing the clear green cart and I was so hype.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
definitely my most hated series ever ,
must be my age group
but this and its predecessors so badly suck ass
...it inst even on my most hated list
it doesnt even score close to the worst rated game i can think of
.... its below any of the worst rated games i can think of

D

Deleted User

I remember this release fondly. My first pokemon game like many was blue. When this was release I was blown away by it. Ruby was my choice thanks to zangoose. Will continue to be one of my favorites. Really enjoy the new article keep em comin!

D

Deleted User

Hoenn was always my favorite region; it's also the region I've sunk the most time into,.

There's just something unique about it that I can't quite put my finger on it; maybe because it's imperfect, has blemishes, unlike other regions like Kanto and Johto, which get universally praised. It also seems a bit dilapidated compared to other regions in the Pokemon series. Heck, R/S gave birth to a million memes about water and trumpets, and was the first game ever to get Nuzlocke'd. Maybe I've just got nostalgia goggles on, I don't know, but I've got something of a soft spot for these games.

Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But have you ever heard of those Gamecube demo kiosks? In some versions of it, there would be a link cable so you could download a patch to allow berries to keep growing as well as recieve a pokemon.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Ruby on Christmas 2004, along with a GBA SP that had an NES design to it. Coincidentally I was wearing a red sweater when I opened up the presents. Between that and Emerald, Gen 3 was the one I put the most heart into, so it remains my favorite generation. Plus it's home to my all-time favorite pokemon Rayquaza. So while there is nostalgia over it, going mad over Battle Tower in Ruby and then Frontier in Emerald, the sad part about both games is that I ended up no longer owning them. The Ruby game and that SP were stolen by someone who I thought was my best friend. When I confronted him about it, he denied. Next thing I know, he and his family moved out of town. Emerald I got some time in 2006, and for some insane reason, I traded it, along with a slick light blue SP for a meager GBA and FireRed. I had a bad habit of always saying "yes," and it still comes up here and there. That's probably the only regret I had, because I didn't play much of FireRed because it's a quick game to finish and the postgame was severely lacking. After that, I didn't play any Pokemon game extensively for 7 years. I probably played a battle, a few minutes here and there on Stadium or a secondhand Ruby that someone in the family ended up possessing. I don't know where that FireRed cart ended up. In 2014 I saved up money and ended up getting all the main series games from Gen 3 to 6 at the time, and of course got all the Gen 7 main series games. Also the hardware to support it all.

It all turned out well in the end. So with nostalgia being high, ORAS remains my favorite 3DS Pokemon game, even though that lacks Battle Frontier. I played some Gen 3 OU on Showdown recently and it's amazing how some Pokemon really benefited from the pre-Physical/Special split (Alakazam and the elemental punches being special moves). That was fun.

the Contest minigames, which let your Pokemon compete in a more strategic way than just battling.

Meh, they were fun when I was 12 years old, but at the time I had no clue about the competitive aspect, IVs/EVs and natures didn't come to my knowledge until 2014. As a result the Contests were more attractive, but now they're a repellent, I don't really like them anymore. It's not more strategic than just battling, it's just an alternative and gives otherwise abandoned pokemon a chance to shine, such as dazzling with a Swablu when I'd rather do some damage with Dragon Dancing Altaria. Also the too much water thing didn't bother me back then, though I admit it's easy to get lost in routes 127-129. Route 126 isn't bad because you hit the big white rock and you know you're a diving expedition away from Sootopolis.

Music wise, introduced in Emerald, the best battle theme ever, Frontier Brain.

Also all the battle themes were amazing, such as the Gym leader one, first games that had a unique E4 battle theme, the theme when battling the mascots, the Regis battle theme, so much audio sex from those games.

The event pokemon aspect wasn't touched on, which was insane, at least for me. Southern Island events, Jirachi (I do own that bonus disc for Colosseum that gifts Jirachi). You had to wait until FRLG and Emerald, but Deoxys, and how at the time its form changed according to what Gen 3 game you played, Ruby/Sapphire got you the normal form. Emerald had Faraway Island, an event that never came up in the US, FRLG had Lugia and Ho-Oh. Then event distributions like the Wish eggs. Oh, into another topic, I loved berry blending, you needed to do that to evolve Feebas to Milotic, its beauty needed to be maximized. Also not really mentioned, the villains, this was the first and only time you had game-specific main villains in the main series, Magma for Ruby, Aqua for Sapphire. A badass Elite 4 with Steven at the top, the Emerald change to Wallace was a step down unfortunately, but you get to battle Steven in the postgame. Amy & Liz being the first double battle gym leaders, Wally (though improved in ORAS)! This article is too general, there's some particular details about RS that makes it special. Your rival is the opposite sex, depending on who you choose, I always picked Brendan so my rival was May.

Salamence, Metagross, Blaziken, Swampert, Latis, Gardevoir, a crap ton of competitive pokemon, some improved with mega evolutions and hidden abilities but they all came from here. Also you can link up the games to Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness and watch them in great Gamecube era graphics. Pokemon Box came out for RS, the precursor to Pokemon Bank.

I think I said enough, I have to rein myself in, it shows how much I love the Gen 3 games.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm definitely liking all the new articles that have been coming out of temp recently.

I remember borrowing this game from my cousin after not playing pokemon for many years. I was hooked from the word go and I never looked back.

15 years....15 years...STOP MAKING ME FEEL OLD CHARY!!!

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm definitely liking all the new articles that have been coming out of temp recently.

I remember borrowing this game from my cousin after not playing pokemon for many years. I was hooked from the word go and I never looked back.

15 years....15 years...STOP MAKING ME FEEL OLD CHARY!!!
in my old time, Pokemon trainer were unable to run
in my old time, opponent trainer weren't able to move until they see you
in my old time, Pokemon shown in battle weren't moving, at all...

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get my emerald tell a while after it came out, but I HATED parts of it. Beauty contests felt like they were trying to attract girls to play, but as a kid it was supposed to feel like omg power defeat team rocket whos your daddy rival. But I didn't feel that way. My rival wasn't a dick to me, I didn't feel good kicking his butt. The pokemon's EYE PATTERNS changed nobody talks about it, but pokemon like kekleon or ninjask with eyes not like a charmander or a scyther etc. It felt really off. Not knowing brail sucked, never caught a relicath and had no friends. Never ran into one to pokedex him either. No internet back then. I liked the frontiers although it felt very rng'd. In crystal I could frontier with 10's if I wanted, but each felt like a challenge and winning them I felt proud of. Renting pokemon I thought was awesome really cool idea the 2 v 2 with an ai was fun too rng or not. BASES <3 had my place decked with slides and dolls. It didn't have the impact I had hoped, but the introduction of abilities and a new bike really made me enjoy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D