Memory Full

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by h3xxl0r, May 20, 2009.

May 20, 2009

Memory Full by h3xxl0r at 3:24 PM (1,069 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. h3xxl0r
    OP

Newcomer h3xxl0r Newbie

Germany
    I tried to install Majora's Mask today, only to notice after rebooting that the wii said its memory was full. I deleted the MM wad again and then i had more free blocks left than i had before installing the wad, so i think that this failed install may have killed some data on my wii. My Backup Channel also doesn't load One Piece: Unlimited Adventure anymore.
    My questions are:
    - Is it possible that some IOS's got erased/damaged?
    - If so, how can i find out what is damaged and
    - Is there a way to fix my wii?

I can still access the Wii's system options etc.

Any help would be appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Backup your save data, delete everything, and reinstall the cIOS's.

There's really no way you could have overwritten anything though.

3. h3xxl0r
    OP

Newcomer h3xxl0r Newbie

Germany
    What does the deleting do, then?

4. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Delete the save data and channels you have installed... just to be on the safe side.

If your having a space issue, would you rather keep everything on there, and install more things, or get rid of everything, and start fresh?

Your best bet is to backup everything you can, do a full downgrade to 3.2, then go back up to 4.0. This should fix any problems with block reporting.

DO NOT USE THE FORMAT FEATURE!!!!!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE FORMAT!!!

5. Cuber

Member Cuber GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    o_o;

May I ask why?

6. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    Format assumes you don't have homebrew. Using format messes stuff up badstyle, especially if you have preloader.

7. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    I don't really know, but when you wrote more to the NAND chip than what it supports, it might've written the data that didn't fit to the ECC area and after you erased the game, it might count the blocks you used in ECC into the standard size of the NAND (the NAND is 512MB + 16MB ECC memory IIRC)
    I don't really know though if it'd be able to even do that, as i'm not sure if the ECC memory is bound to the NAND or not before it's needed...

for more about ECC, read this:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The same thing happened to me once, long ago, and I believe the wad was Sin and Punishment, but that doesn't matter. I just shrugged it off, and it's never, ever caused me ANY problems. I think the post by noONE above regarding ECC is entirely correct. I don't think the system menu will calculate anything lower than 0 available blocks. If you tried to buy Zelda from the Wii Shop, it would simply tell you that you don't have enough blocks free for the download. When installing via Wad Manager however, it's entirely possible to install a game that uses more blocks than the reported available number. Thus, if you had 270 blocks free before installation, and the game size is 320 blocks, you now have -50 blocks. I'm pretty sure the System Menu sees that the NAND has zero blocks free, and when it deletes 320 blocks, it adds that to zero. So you get this:

Before installation: 270 blocks available
    Install 320 block game: -50 blocks available
    Delete 320 block game: 320 blocks available

I bet this will happen any and every time you install something via Wad Manager that is larger than your available blocks. Perhaps I'll give it a try later this evening, just to prove my point. BTW: I'm sure there's no way it deleted any of your IOSes (but it's possible, I suppose). Not sure what to tell you about your game backup, though. Are you using a USB launcher? If so, are you still using the old version of WBFS with the delete glitch? If you are, and you've deleted a game and then installed a larger game, another game will get overwritten and break. If this is not the case, then perhaps just try reinstalling the IOS that the game uses... glitches can happen occasionally. Even if the IOS did break somehow, that's all you need to reinstall, certainly not a full downgrade/upgrade.

I really wouldn't worry about the block issue. I most definitely wouldn't go through the whole downgrade and upgrade thing; seems totally pointless. The only reason to go through that much trouble is if the Wii was somehow reporting that you have LESS blocks available than you really do.... and even then, you could probably just find the title that didn't get deleted properly and kill it with AnyTitleDeleter.

9. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Chances are, it wrote over part of your backup channel. My advice is just reinstall it.

If that doesn't work, not sure what is causing it.

10. imapterodactyl

United States
    It's worth a try, but I'm pretty sure that if it overwrote part of the backup channel, then the backup channel outright wouldn't work. It wouldn't prevent just one game from working.

11. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    depends what it wrote over really.

12. imapterodactyl

United States
    True. Doubtful, but definitely true, and that's why its worth a try [​IMG]