Memory Card speeds?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mike1984, Nov 12, 2006.

Nov 12, 2006

Memory Card speeds? by mike1984 at 1:38 AM (583 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. mike1984
    OP

Member mike1984 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Anyone know if there is a difference when you are acytually playing the ROM? I bought a Transcend 512 MB compact flash that has 45X. Is this fast enough? Is there any slowdown? What does the speed of the card actually mean?

2. mike1984
    OP

Canada
    An answer would be nice...

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    why not do a search? plent of posts containing information regarding card speeds. You didn't list what device you used either. If it's a m3, visit www.m3wiki.com to see other people's experience with their media.

4. mike1984
    OP

Canada
    I'm talking about the Compact Flash itself. Not the flashcard. I have a Supercard CF btw but it's irrelevant. Basically, my question is, will games run smoother if I use SD, SD Micro, or Compact Flash? Does the memory card your using have any effect on how the game plays or no?

5. Rayout

Member Rayout GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not sure if the read/access times for different types of cards carry over but I am using an A-data 50x sd card and don't notice any slowdown with ds games and the only GBA game with slowdown that I've played is Kingdom Hearts (and only when there are a bunch of those green health restore/moogle point sphere's bouncing around, none during gameplay).

So there have been some posts regarding read/access times mattering for the supercard lites, but I don't recall hearing anything about other media.

In general I think after a memory format has been established (CF/SD) there really are no speed problems as the majority of cards on the market are rather fast. For newer media (MiniSD [back when it was new I mean, I haven't heard about speed issues regarding miniSD for a while], and MicroSD) you might want to look for a card with better speed.