Memor 32

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by evoo1, Aug 7, 2008.

Aug 7, 2008

Memor 32 by evoo1 at 9:39 PM (2,970 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. evoo1
    OP

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Does anyone of you guys have any experience with the Memore 32?
    Apperantly it's an advanced memory card which can also be used as a mobile Modchip.
    Though it doesn't have 100% compatibility I really like the concept behind it but I'm still a bit skeptical [​IMG]

So anyone here who can recommend purchasing this, based on personal experience [​IMG] ?

thanks!

2. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't have one, but it works as it says.

Although if you want, there is a method to do this with any memory card(You need swap magic however). The memor 32 is the easier way to do it, but a bit more expensive. But it won't void your warranty like most other methods.

3. evoo1
    OP

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Yeah I "modded" my old PS2 with Swap Magic and running games from a HD I built into it.
    But as it seems, PS2-Slim prices are dropping and it looked like a really neat solution to run backups on my next ps2 without any modding [​IMG].

thanks for your reply!

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

I have one and their great [​IMG]

You need to load it with hacked memento firmware to get backups to load ..and you also need to patch the ISO image file before burning ...

I would say they are at least 80% compatible with games straight from the start although some still do not load e.g. SINGSTAR games will not load directly, with the memor32 card with memento firmware update .... But ... using a DVD LOADER ELF file you put on the memor32 card can get even tricky games such as singstar games to load just fine so brings it up to practically 100% with all ps2 games [​IMG]

my biggest issue with memor32 cards is the cost ... a lot of places charge quite a lot for them £50+ ... I paid £52 for mine including postage/shipping [​IMG]

then again it was WELL WORTH IT as a NON INVASIVE/NO HASSLE mod chip that works on just about ALL PS2's even slim ones!

5. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    LOL. Everyone here is buying Memor 32 but all you need a MC card (anyone), AR (most work), FREE_MC_BOOT (free) and ESR (Free) = Memor 32. Read this.

6. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it's good but doesnt run jak 2, jak 3 and final fantasy XII my friend has one and we couldnt get these games ot work, but with swap magic 3.6 they worked perfect

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    So get CogSwap and run it with uLE. Don't be a noob.

8. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just got mine the other day. I've got a recent PS2 slim to replace my dead phat, and have got the memor32 with memento 1.2e, which along with a USB stick I used to load Free MC Boot 1.6 plus ESR 9a onto an 8MB Sony gamecard. i.e. it's handy if you have a slim, don't want to/can't mod it. (also put SMS and uLE 4.25 on the FMCB card).

uLaunch ELF is working fine AFAICT with stuff from USB stick, but I still haven't tested a game backup or any homebrew yet so it's a little early for me to fully comment.

Installing memento was trivial.

FMCB was a little trickier to install, as it wants to install onto the memory card in slot-1 with no apparent way of changing this(n00b alert), so I put the installer on a USB/uSD adapter with a 128M uSD and instaleld from that after using memento to boot uLE browser, then launched the FMCB installer and swapped out the memor32 for an 8MB Sony card. (attempting to directly install on memor32 with memento led to a freeze, so I decided to keep memor32 a pure memento 1.2e install and use another card for FMCB).

FMCB installation really needs the entire directory in the archive, as if you read the instructions it tells you what to put where (every directory had a readme.txt) and the name that the files need to use. The filenames ARE CASE SENSITIVE, so use the filenames EXACTLY as they are given and all will be automagically installed and ready to go for you. FMCB 1.6 also includes a configuration app, and the guides detail what the various settings.

From what I've read between memento and ESR you'll get fairly good ability to run backups, only problem being some "old" games that either need more IOP memory or use the same location that ESR files use, but it looks pretty good for not having to crack open your PS2. The developer is working on further reducing IOP memory usage.

psx-scene.com is the place to check for info on FMCB, look under the homebrew forum, then the FreeVAST sub-forum.

Google should turn up the memento homepage and/or a link to the "official" forums. The memor32 forums are, as expected, nearly useless and the memento forums not much better.

Now, I need to dig up a site with good homebrew details.

All that's missing now is a way to boot PS1 disks, but I've still got my old modded PSX. (ESR's developer was apparently attempting to port a PSX emulator to run on the PS2, but has temporarily dropped it while working on ESR, so either he or someone else may eventually pick it up and allow a fair number of PSX games to run that way.)

[EDIT]
    Swap Magic:
    You WILL HAVE to BUY an actual copy of swap magic. Home burned iso will NOT work for this. I went for memor32 because I was lazy and wanted it quicker, plus a 32M memory card extra with ability to dump to PC is handy.

Memor32 cable: It's just a mini-USB/A cable, so don't buy one unless you need one, and it'll likely be fairly cheap to buy fromt he memor32 vendor v. some retail outlet or even somewhere else with a cheaper cable when you factor in shipping costs.
    [/EDIT]

9. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    it works fine with HDLoader, great thing [​IMG]

10. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    The freemcboot actually works better then memor32.

ratchet and clank 1 doesnt work for example on memor32, same disc works fine with freemcboot or swapmagic.

so i would suggest against buying the memor32.

11. cutterjohn

United States
    Thats why I check both reported compatibilities for ESR AND Memento 1.2e.

If it is reported to work with memento 1.2e I patch with the memento 0.9e patcher, although a drawback seems to be that memento patched ISOs won't auto-boot ESR properly with FMCB. They work fine if you manually start ESR though. Memento 1.2e on the Memor32 works as expected and autoboots them.

If it's not reported to be memento 1.2e compatible and/or not listed on either list I just assume that my best chances lie with ESR, so I patch with the windows build ESR 0.24a patcher. Drawback with this is that memento v1.2e refuses to boot these ESR patched disks, but so far they've all worked fine under ESR.

Well, I'm off to see about converting a PAL game to NTSC as an experiment but going to ask int he other thread.

12. kobykaan

United Kingdom
    ps1 disks are easy to do but not all work ....

1) Open the ISO CD with UltrISO
    2) Change properties to media DVD, UDF, DOS 8.3
    3) Save modified ISO (now DVD format, but size still approx the same)
    4) Patch the new ISO as per PS2 disks
    5) Burn

[​IMG]

13. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Are you sure you're not referring to PS2 CD games? Because putting PS1 games on dvd to boot doesn't sound right.

14. cutterjohn

United States
    It looks like he is, as everything that I've read said that PS1 CDs do NOT work unless you use... hmmm... the Action Replay(?) CD, or the PS2 PSXLauncher.ELF which is floating around, but it still requires a disk swap with the sensors tricked (magic key? or slide tool thing...)

The Memento website/forums claimed that PSX play would be in v1.3, but that's not shown up yet and I'm kind of doubtful that it will.

Seems like PSX best bet for ease of use will be for ffgriever to finish his PSX "emulator" that runs on the PS2. A thread post said that it was mostly finished but the GPU HAL needed some work to speed up some of the more graphically complex games, but the project is on hold while he works on ESR.

PS2 cds: According to ffgriever (IIRC) ALL PS2 CD games CAN be converted to DVD format. According to him most can be done very simply, while the others with hard coded LBAs(? IIRC) need a little extra work but can still be made to work. Also I believe that the above process steps are either incorrect or missing some steps from what I recall at psx-scene...

15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I just use disk 2 of gameshark 2 (ps1 bonus code disk) to boot them, it acts just like COGSWAP

16. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I was just saying. PS1 booting is actually quite easy with any of the ps2 version above v7. You can simply go into the PS2 browser, insert an original PS1 game, highlight the disc, then swap out for a backup.

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I have to try that

I have a v10

18. YeeHaH

Newcomer YeeHaH Member

Australia
    well im surprised that theres not that many negative reports on the memor32. The compatability rate is ridiculous. If your going to develop something like this and take peoples money for a product then it should work 100% like all the new nds flash carts do. I have one and am very dissapointed with it. so i going to chuck it in my desk drawer and get a chip put in my ps2.

19. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I've got one, and I like it. I've never been a fan of modchips so this I think the Memor32 is great.

The compatibility could be better, but a lot of the games I play work moderately well. And I contacted the memento team, they said they were almost finished with the new firmware.

20. kobykaan

United Kingdom

use the ESR elf loader on your MEMOR 32 CARD you can get almost 100% compatibility by swapping between using memento firmware and loading via the ELF [​IMG]