MelonDS emulator 0.9.3 released, fixes touchscreen input, allows direct running of DSi homebrew

unnamed.png

@Arisotura brings us the latest version of the melonDS emulator. Version 0.9.3 is freshly released and now available, and comes with a good amount of bugfixes and optimizations. This new update features new audio interpolation, which can make the emulator's sound output a little bit better. MelonDS also now offers the ability to downgrade the audio quality to be much more in line with how the original Nintendo DS played audio, in 10-bit format. Touchscreen input has been improved and fixed as well, and supports those on tablet devices. Additionally, in the lead up to the 1.0 release of the emulator, an experimental feature for booting DSi homebrew and games has been added, and you can install DSiWare titles to an emulated DSi NAND.

:arrow: Source

We bring you melonDS 0.9.3, a tad late, but it comes with a good deal of improvements.

First of all, we fixed touchscreen input, it should now work as expected in all screen modes. We also added support for touchscreen devices (tablets etc).

On the emulation side, we added support for audio interpolation, as an optional emulation improvement. Depending on how good your game's samples are, you may see an improvement in audio quality. There are multiple interpolation types to choose from, so you can see which one you like best.

We also added a setting to optionally degrade the audio output to 10-bit, like the actual DS, for more authentic experience. This goes hand in hand with emulation of the SOUNDBIAS register, too. Emulating this register means nothing for the average game, but it could be used for cool tricks in homebrew. Hell, we even managed to make the DS play a song solely by regularly changing SOUNDBIAS.

There have been several improvements to DSi mode too. Namely, touchscreen calibration is now automatically patched in DSi mode, eliminating the need for a recalibration. It is also possible to boot DSi games and homebrew directly now, although this feature is still experimental. Last but not least, the DSi title manager allows you to easily install your DSiWare titles to your emulated NAND.

A ROM info dialog has also been added under System -> ROM Info.

There's also the usual slew of bugfixes and other little additions, you can check the changelog for the full list.

For the eventual 1.0 release, we also want to make melonDS less obtuse all around: providing user-selectable paths for savefiles and such, BIOS/firmware substitutes atleast for DS mode, less obtuse DLDI support, etc...

Enjoy!

melonDS 0.9.3, Windows x64
melonDS 0.9.3, Linux x64
melonDS 0.9.3, Linux ARM64
melonDS 0.9.3, macOS x64
melonDS 0.9.3, macOS ARM64
melonDS 0.9.3, macOS universal

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I had a DS that look like watermelon so I can call it MELON DS! :P
Thanks for the update patches. This emulator is great, but it's still not ideal when it comes to touch screen situations. Doesn't make me look forward to vita emulation with a included REAR TOUCH PAD. :ph34r:
I wish I had a watermelon that looked like a DS so I can call it DS MELON!!! and then eat it

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That audio downgrade option sounds interesting. Would it sound better somehow as games were designed for that kind of sound output, or is the actual audio still better?
I'm not going to make assumptions, but maybe is something like how other emulators can change the sample rate. Snes has sample rate of 32000hz but can be upsampled to 48000 or if you're lucky, all the way up to 192000hz, depending on the emulator. Honestly I usually never use lower sample rates, but interpolation or some kind of low pass filter I do try depending on the system.

Snes without the standard Gaussian filter is some gnarly stuff. Unfiltered snes audio creeks and cracks like the mGBA experimental XQ audio. Linear, Cubic or Sinc seems to range from decent to better balanced between no filter and Gaussian filter for snes emulators. Sega Megadrive on the other hand, you either turn on low-pass filter like they intended or turn it off. The difference? Louder audio without it, softer with it. FM must need it for what most games hid behind it on that system. :ninja:

Can't wait to try NDS interpolation. Though not sure if it's useful since most games use streamed audio unlike older games that didn't.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, this is pretty cool. I've never used MelonDS before, but hearing about this upgrade caused me to switch to it, so that's rad.
Not many options that I'm aware. Is either NO$GBA, DeSmuMe or Melon DS. :ninja:
DeSmuMe as I'm aware, was discontented by the original team and now maintained by the people responsible for TASVIDEOS.ORG Constantly tweaked for Tool-Assisted speedruns which should mean emulation accuracy . NO$GBA on the other hand, probably not intended for casual use. Think all those "No cash" emulators are for debug purposes.

Melon DS on the other hand shows lots of promise. The games I tried had no emulation problems and the speeds are great. Being able to increase internal resolution is also a plus though like other emulators with the same feature, switching to open gl to use it may cause graphical glitches compared to software render. (Maybe they will add Direct X or Vulkan Render sometime) Hopefully with some more features like rewind, rapid fire keys, customized screen layout and maybe some pixel shaders/filters, and even a video dumper like DeSmuMe and other emulators, it will become more accessible. :ninja:

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not many options that I'm aware. Is either NO$GBA, DeSmuMe or Melon DS. :ninja:
DeSmuMe as I'm aware, was discontented by the original team and now maintained by the people responsible for TASVIDEOS.ORG Constantly tweaked for Tool-Assisted speedruns which should mean emulation accuracy . NO$GBA on the other hand, probably not intended for casual use. Think all those "No cash" emulators are for debug purposes.

Melon DS on the other hand shows lots of promise. The games I tried had no emulation problems and the speeds are great. Being able to increase internal resolution is also a plus though like other emulators with the same feature, switching to open gl to use it may cause graphical glitches compared to software render. (Maybe they will add Direct X or Vulkan Render sometime) Hopefully with some more features like rewind, rapid fire keys, customized screen layout and maybe some pixel shaders/filters, and even a video dumper like DeSmuMe and other emulators, it will become more accessible. :ninja:

And DraStic was supposed to be open source but Exophase never released it. It's stuck on Android, and hope you're not on Android 11, Scoped Storage completely ruins it and he doesn't want to fix it.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wake me up when I can actually have the game operate as two full screen windows. having each monitor on my set up be it's own ds screen would be great but it's the one thing you don't really see in all of these emulators...except for specifically the mac version of desemume...not any other version of the emulator...just mac...what

Last edited by jt_1258,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It works very well with TGDS Projects (i've tested NTR mode, but I can guess TWL will work as well). Namely the ARM7 DLDI emulation and sound stream. It works about 40% faster than Desmume in these tests and has been useful overall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.