meh got myself a new lite and now it just turns

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by xflash, Nov 2, 2006.

Nov 2, 2006
  1. xflash
    OP

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    well yeah im sure some of you read about my old lite anyway now i decided to buy a new one and was trying to flash it a sec ago but whenever i short sl1 it just turns itself off for some reason anybody know why?

2. deathspawn999

Member deathspawn999 GBAtemp Regular

nintendo may have gotten wise and set up something to stop you from flashing it. that or something is being done wrong.

3. xflash
    OP

Norway
    im supposed to short the hole furthest away for the battery right?

4. ordrept

Newcomer ordrept Member

United States
    the lite has a sl2 bridge inside the hole with sl1 (the left hole) make sure that your flash tool has no metal sides exposed, only the very tip. - If you have sides exposed then you're touching the SL2 bridge on the left side of the SL1 hole.

I had a flat-topped toothpick with foil on it, then used tape around it to cover the sides. That worked fine for me.

5. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

well, actually youre not supposed to be shorting it at all. don't get me wrong, I've considered flashme before. But its definitely an "at your own risk" endeavor, although I've read posts here on this forum from more than a few irresponsible adolescents who returned their bricked DS's so they could try again.

hope you get it sorted out.

6. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    read the guide here on flashme and familiarize yourself with where the sl1 is and what exactly you're shorting instead of just sticking metal objects in the slot and sloshing it around. This is what leads to bricks, lack of research. And yes if you're shorting anything other than the sl1 around that area, it will turn itself off to protect the ds itself...and if this happened @ 0% (aka immediately), you got yourself a brand new brick.

7. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I would say that they are irresponsible adolescents... I'd say they were complete retards because they couldn't even do a simple thing like flash a ds lite, without fucking it up.

8. xflash
    OP

Norway
    nahh it seems like it got bricked right now because it turnd it self off at 0% but the safety feature still works lol but yeah i guess i'll read som more about it but i'll have to do that tommorow cause im going to sleep now

edited: forgot to mention that i even got to the menu of my super card as in i could see what i was chosing lol

edit2: nahh don't mind me you guys i finally got it flashed today

9. Caboose

Newcomer Caboose Newbie

Canada
    I can't get my SL1 bridged for the life of me. I tried sevral methods many times and I just can't get it to short. I have a DS Lite, and I did my old DS just fine. I've tried using wires, Toothpick with the tin foil, screwdrivers, it just won't budge. If I turn it off now (it's at 0% and nothing has been bridged) will it still brick? I just can't short the SL1 [​IMG]

Edit: Never mind, I got it to work. I was looking around on this forum to see if I could shut it off at 0% when I found a link to a website with recommended tools to flash with. I ended up cutting a paperclip in half (kind screwed up my scissors but whatever) and taping the pieces together. Was kind of hard to get in with the tape but I got it and it worked [​IMG]

10. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Just make sure the tin foil end is flat and rounded to the toothpick. Then tape up the sides, and you're set [​IMG]

11. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I dont understand the problems you guys are having, i can stick a screwdriver in my SL1 hole and wiggle it around and it wont turn off. It took me like 20 seconds to flash and it didnt turn off and hasnt no matter what i try to put in the hole. I swear there are like different versions of the ds lite with different sl1 locations or something

12. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    by now with how many I've flashed, I can just directly stick in the paper clip I use now and get it to go without wiggling or anything. I use a paper clip bent in half with insulated tape. Much more exact than any other method I think.

13. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

14. shinji257

Member shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

United States
    Is this a Nintendo DS Lite? Was it already flashed? Some people suspect that the auto-shutoff bit is in the stock firmware. There is a thread over at scdev.org and the guy that posted about it stated that all of the units that had this issue before flashing no longer had it after he flashed them.