Megaupload raid may have been illegal

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When New Zealand authorities raided the estate of MegaUpload boss Kim Dotcom, they confiscated nearly £125 million worth of property. But as it turns out, the court order authorising this seizure was invalid because the police filled out the wrong paperwork. Oops.
Prior to the raid, police commissioner Peter Marshall’s office reportedly applied an inapplicable legal statute to the case and consequently filed for the wrong kind of restraining order—one that would have prevented Dotcom from properly defending himself in court. The police realised their “procedural error” on January 30th—after the raid went down—and refiled the correct forms while listing property already in their possession.
Basically, the police asked the court’s permission to do something they had already done. Presiding Justice Judith Potter is not amused. On Friday, she invalidated the initial (incorrect) order but did allow the new order to stand, though only on a temporary basis. The police are now arguing that despite the five errors on their initial filing, the the fact that the new order has been granted—and that they’ve already got Dotcom’s stuff—the entire situation is a non-issue. Dotcom’s defense team, conversely, is arguing that since the seizure was carried out using an invalid order, it was “unlawfully seized and restrained” and should therefore be released.Justice Potter must now decide whether or not to actually return Dotcom’s property as the law in question does grant a degree of leeway for filing mistakes like these and the defense will have to prove the prosecution acted in bad faith. If she does side with the defense, Dotcom will likely dedicate obscene amounts of money to his cause—like dig up, reanimate, and hire Johnnie Cochran sorts of obscene money.

Source

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what happens when you side with the united states, an think you can f##k with peoples rights. this kinda crap has been happening for years in the united states..
the only difference my be,is at least they might have said they were wrong, were as the united states would have found some one to point the finger at.(like a two year old baby).

MENU!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAY have been illegal? MAY HAVE??

Alright. Now I'm pissed.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Reactions: 1 person

MENU!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What pissed me off about the seizure was all the rare Oblivion mods that I planned to download went *poof* in an instant.
Not to mention those of us (ahem, me) who had legit stuff on there.

Just imagine, there's probably some poor guy out there that was running out of HDD space and put a bunch of family photos on MU to make room.

Reactions: 1 person

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What pissed me off about the seizure was all the rare Oblivion mods that I planned to download went *poof* in an instant.
Not to mention those of us (ahem, me) who had legit stuff on there.

Just imagine, there's probably some poor guy out there that was running out of HDD space and put a bunch of family photos on MU to make room.
Yep. Most of the stuff I used it for was actually legit stuff too.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
alot of people found other sites to get their stuff and moved on.
I never did.

There are quite a few Sims mods I have tried to download, but they're so old and lesser known that the only links were to megaupload and it looks like the creators have gone missing where these things were posted.

There were quite a few things permanently lost when Megaupload went down.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
alot of people found other sites to get their stuff and moved on.
I never did.

There are quite a few Sims mods I have tried to download, but they're so old and lesser known that the only links were to megaupload and it looks like the creators have gone missing where these things were posted.

There were quite a few things permanently lost when Megaupload went down.
What about on torrent sites?

Can't disagree, alot of older things were lost when megaupload got shut down and its a shame when you just found out you need something and it only exists on megaupload.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
What about on torrent sites?
Nah. Not there either.

It was really obscure stuff, like the kid from Cloud randomly flies over your Sim's house if it's raining and starts having the dark clouds and the light clouds battle, or actual anime episode synopsis videos and their own channel for your Sim's TV, or a new 'read manga' option for your Sim's computer that changed the screen to show a random manga page that changed every two in-game minutes. Among other anime/manga related things. Most of it was what Chell and Alessa wanted.

Can't disagree, alot of older things were lost when megaupload got shut down and its a shame when you just found out you need something and it only exists on megaupload.
Exactly. I had a lot of links to megaupload for things I had just in case I had to redownload anything.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah. Not there either.

It was really obscure stuff, like the kid from Cloud randomly flies over your Sim's house if it's raining and starts having the dark clouds and the light clouds battle, or actual anime episode synopsis videos and their own channel for your Sim's TV, or a new 'read manga' option for your Sim's computer that changed the screen to show a random manga page that changed every two in-game minutes. Among other anime/manga related things. Most of it was what Chell and Alessa wanted.
I wish I could help but don't have any links, sorry. Otherwise i'll uploaded it already.

Exactly. I had a lot of links to megaupload for things I had just in case I had to redownload anything.
I found MU to be really good for downloading which is why I prefer it to other sites, the day it got shut down was a sad day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...