Megaman Zero Collection hack to play other GBA games

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by ryan90, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ryan90
    OP

Member ryan90 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The megaman Zero collection is of gba games, and it clearly runs in DS mode, i don't know if these games have been modified in significantly, but all the data inside the rom is probably similar to what was inside the original gba roms

looking inside the data folder of the rom, there are 4 boot files named "boot_z1.bin, boot_z2.bin, boot_z3.bin and boot_z4.bin, these are obviously the boot files for each game in the collection, there are seperate sound data files for each game and so on, i wonder how much has been changed and if the boot files could be re-written to run any game.

i know you can already buy a ez 3 in 1 and run gba games, but i already have one and it has saving problems, you also can't use them with the dsi or XL,

Can anyone else take a look at the files and say if it could be done?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Another Sonic Collection scenario? I don't think so.

The emulator from Sonic was built off of a homebrew emulator, no such emulator exists for the GBA (note that this also runs on NDSL).

I was thinking the same thing, but I highly doubt it... How could Nintendo do something no one else could do and was deemed impossible?

3. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    it's not emulation, it's just a very straight port(even leaving the resolution the same).
    to do something similar to another GBA game i'm pretty sure you'd need access to the source.

4. ryan90
    OP

United Kingdom
    Are you talking about sonic classic collection?, those were genesis games, not gba games

Why would gba games be impossible?
    we can already run them from slot 2, and there are slot 1 cards with hardware that emulates them

I think it should be entirely possible since the system is backwards compatible

This is more like a Wii, running gamecube games in non gamcube mode situation

if this game uses some kind of gba interpreter, then surely others games would be able to use it too

5. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    This game is a legitimate port, not emulated.
    You can swap out text by swapping the overlays or re-add the blood.

6. ryan90
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok thanks for answering

7. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The reasons why that's not true have been covered tons in the past. Right now, if you don't have a flash card that holds the necessary RAM to run GBA games, be it slot-2 or the slot-1 cards you mentioned, you can't play GBA games on a DS.

8. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I was talking about that collection. No shit, Sherlock.

Extra hardware is needed to run them from a slot-1. It is in no way possible to boot GBA games from a slot-1 like, say, CycloDS without the use of a slot-2 device.

9. ryan90
    OP

United Kingdom
    well i actually have a ez 3 in 1 expansion my games load, and work from nor but they don't save, i can save sometimes but most of the time i can't

Is this a sign of a bad battery or is it just a failing 3 in 1?

i can also say that loading games from psram and nor works as well as using the rumble but just not saving, and the gba exploder software always asks if it cab set up the device, although its not supposed to if that was its last use,

my saves come back with the wrong names aswell, like instead of marioadvance.sav it will say ma5ioadtanc3.sav so i don't know what that shows, and reloading the saves leads to a message stating they are corrupted.

do i need to change my battery or new 3 in 1 ? please help

10. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    If I'm not mistaken, which Ill have to test this later myself, you can run some GBA games smaller than 32MB off a Cyclo without the use of a Slot-2 Device.

11. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    You're mistaken. NO slot-1 card except for the iPlayer and Supercard DSTWO will run GBA games unless you have the slot 2 card. The two cards i mentioned use emulators to play the GBA games. Many games don't work or are unplayable. And the speed is not perfect, often requiring frameskip which is a very choppy experience.

And for those who aren't smart enough to figure it out- Genesis is far weaker than GBA. It takes much much more power to properly emulate the GBA. Megaman Zero Collection is a port, meaning they rewrote the code to work on DS natively. It's not something you can swap out with other GBA games. You'd have to rewrite each game. Two other Megaman games they ported from GBA to DS are Battle Network 1 and 5.