Mega Man Legacy Collection sells over 1 million units, becomes 5th game in franchise to do so

Mega-Man-Legacy-Collection-01.png

Released in 2015 for PC, 3DS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and followed by a Nintendo Switch version later on was the Mega Man Legacy Collection. This set repackaged the first six Mega Man games that originally released on the NES, allowing for players new and old to experience the Blue Bomber's first titles. A second part of the collection offered the rest of the original series, 7-10, along with a few bonus features. As of the latest Capcom Financial report for 2018, the Mega Man Legacy Collection has reached a milestone 1 million sales, becoming the first Mega Man game in 15 years to do so. Though it may just be a compilation and not a new game, it now joins Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man Battle Network 4 as titles in the series to pass the 1 million sales mark.

Mega Man 11 does not have reported sales data, but the free demo for Mega Man 11 surpassed one million downloads across all platforms, while Japan sales debuted at almost 30,000 units sold.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: spotanjo3

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this collection, and love mega man 11. If anyone is interested I highly recommend them, especially that Capcom are clearly monitoring the sales of mega man 11

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, honestly I'm surprised that Mega Man Anniversary Collection didn't sell that well. I actually quite like MMLC* (for all its faults), and I'm not upset with the quasi-emulation approach (as much as I'd love if it were TAS compatible). I'm not as surprised that the X collection didn't sell as well (the 2006 version) as being a sequel series it's harder to gain a following. The other MMXLC? Most fans (like me) probably already bought the X Collection from 2006 and it's a harder sell to plunk down $30 to play two more X games of which one is considered terrible.

What I personally wish? That Capcom, Irem, and the many other old developers/publishers made their own version of a "Sega Mega Drive Classics" for Steam and start selling a lot of their back catalog for $1/game (with uncompressed/unencrypted roms includes). Maybe they could flesh out Mednafen with a nicer interface (and incorporate the whole challenge system). There's basically a gold mine compared to the amount of effort involved. Perhaps MMLC will show that.

* Since it was part of the Humble Monthly, I tried to trade for it, but someone was kind enough to give me a key for free. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bought it**.

** Unless it was in a bundle and decently cheap. :)

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea, honestly I'm surprised that Mega Man Anniversary Collection didn't sell that well. I actually quite like MMLC* (for all its faults), and I'm not upset with the quasi-emulation approach (as much as I'd love if it were TAS compatible). I'm not as surprised that the X collection didn't sell as well (the 2006 version) as being a sequel series it's harder to gain a following. The other MMXLC? Most fans (like me) probably already bought the X Collection from 2006 and it's a harder sell to plunk down $30 to play two more X games of which one is considered terrible.

What I personally wish? That Capcom, Irem, and the many other old developers/publishers made their own version of a "Sega Mega Drive Classics" for Steam and start selling a lot of their back catalog for $1/game (with uncompressed/unencrypted roms includes). Maybe they could flesh out Mednafen with a nicer interface (and incorporate the whole challenge system). There's basically a gold mine compared to the amount of effort involved. Perhaps MMLC will show that.

* Since it was part of the Humble Monthly, I tried to trade for it, but someone was kind enough to give me a key for free. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bought it**.

** Unless it was in a bundle and decently cheap. :)

One thing is questionable timing. Anniversary Collection released well over a year late for the anniversary it was targeting. X Collection was shortly after the Xbox 360 launch, when people were beginning to shift attention to next-gen consoles.

And the recent collections are available on more platforms, in more countries.

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Megaman Legacy Collection is in this month's humble bundle monthly. I bet that's at least some of the sales.

Personally, I was very dissapointed with it. The last Megaman collection for Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 had the versions of the games with the remixed music and the navi mode. This new collection has less games and less features.

This! So much this! I loved the remixed music to bits. Was tremendously disappointed with the PS4 version, hoping it had more features than the 3DS version. It didn't.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing is questionable timing. Anniversary Collection released well over a year late for the anniversary it was targeting.

I definitely agree that Capcom is often not good at timing things, but I don't think most Mega Man fans or just casual people wanting to get into it would care enough to not buy it. :/

X Collection was shortly after the Xbox 360 launch, when people were beginning to shift attention to next-gen consoles.

Yea, I'd admit that didn't seem a wise move, but the X Collection was for the PS2 and Gamecube for which plenty of people either kept or had BC with (at least at the beginning on the PS3).

And the recent collections are available on more platforms, in more countries.

Well, the PS2 alone sold almost more units than all current systems combined. But, yea, releasing a DS version would have made a lot of sense to compliment the PS2/(XBox/)GC release and would have been near equivalent. I know a lot of people complained about the swapped buttons on the GC and perhaps that did it for many people? I definitely agree about the limited (was either collection released out of NA?) substantially hurt sales, but even sales in NA (if vgchartz is remotely accurate) were still pretty horrible.

So, I do agree with you in a lot of ways. The lack of good marketing, wide region release, and timing it at a generation turn over without having new gen ports were all bad decisions. I guess the real point given the relative low sales of all Mega Man games is it isn't nearly as popular overall. I wonder what sort of figures you'd get for sales if you combined all MM VC sales on Wii+WiiU+3DS or went by sales. Maybe that'd be close to MMLC? *shrug*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off