Mega Man Legacy Collection sells over 1 million units, becomes 5th game in franchise to do so

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 13, 2018.

Front-page
    Mega-Man-Legacy-Collection-01.

Released in 2015 for PC, 3DS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and followed by a Nintendo Switch version later on was the Mega Man Legacy Collection. This set repackaged the first six Mega Man games that originally released on the NES, allowing for players new and old to experience the Blue Bomber's first titles. A second part of the collection offered the rest of the original series, 7-10, along with a few bonus features. As of the latest Capcom Financial report for 2018, the Mega Man Legacy Collection has reached a milestone 1 million sales, becoming the first Mega Man game in 15 years to do so. Though it may just be a compilation and not a new game, it now joins Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man Battle Network 4 as titles in the series to pass the 1 million sales mark.

Mega Man 11 does not have reported sales data, but the free demo for Mega Man 11 surpassed one million downloads across all platforms, while Japan sales debuted at almost 30,000 units sold.

:arrow: Source

azoreseuropa likes this.
    Discussion (26 replies)
  1. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    BN4 passed 1m? Oh god : | I feel sorry for those who lost interest in the BN series as a result of that.

Still happy for Legacy though! Praise the Blue Bomber!

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Didn't know how underwhelming the series of mega man games sell. Then again they was just saturating the consumers with them during early years, buying one after another on various consoles was not easy to keep up with.

3. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    God I love this collection. And the best feature of all is the rewind button so I can enjoy it with ...less gifted friends of mine.

chichen likes this.
  4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Yes, this ancient gimmick of homebrew emulators greatly showing Capcom's dedication for blue bomber.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Da fuk you mean no one likes mega man 5

6. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Did I ever say they are showing any dedication whatsoever? Nope.
    I'm just saying it's a great feature which doesn't get included most of the time when it comes to quick cashgrabs. It makes it enjoyable to play with younger kids too.
    But yeah enjoy the emulators. I'd bet you are one of those ''my raspberry pi is so much better and more effecient and cheaper and more cool and more compact and more pro than the NES mini'' guys.

Last edited by radicalwookie, Dec 13, 2018
  7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    The mind blowing thing is How this collection has sold better than Megaman X collection? I mean the later one surpass the original from any aspects and is more fun to play.

8. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    collection 1 is better on emulator, while collection2 (download only) is worth getting for switch

(X collection)

legacy collection is PURE trash

Last edited by gameboy, Dec 13, 2018
  9. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    Well during those times gaming was seen as a nerdy hobby and not as mainstream as it is now. So Megaman not selling gangbusters is kinda expected but they were profitable though.

10. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Now I want to get my Sega Genesis out the closet and play "Willy Wars" again even if the games are harder without cheating.

11. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    This is the power of marketing I guess... one trash compilation reached a milestone that at least 10 other games alone couldn't...

Do it, do it for us who can't :,)

12. raxadian

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    You know you can get a clone Sega Genesis for a few bucks, right? There is even a Legal (Yeah for real) portable Sega genesis that kinda looks like a PSP and you can hack to add more games. But that model is rare and actually not that good and the manual comes in Brazilian Portuguese.

Hence why Sega has not bothered to launch a Sega Genesis classic (yet), it licensed a brazilian company to do stuff like that for decades. Dunno if that company still has the license.

Did I mention Sega was huge in Brazil? That place loved the Sega Master System and continued to get Master Syatem games released there even when the Sega Genesis had already been selling for two to three years there. And Brazil was basically the only place you could get legal Sega Genesis games in Latin America without importing them from good old USA.

13. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    There's plenty of non rare official clones from atgames that are portable and have an SD card slot for roms. But the sound is awful unless you mod it

14. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    Megaman Legacy Collection is in this month's humble bundle monthly. I bet that's at least some of the sales.

Personally, I was very dissapointed with it. The last Megaman collection for Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 had the versions of the games with the remixed music and the navi mode. This new collection has less games and less features.

Last edited by Kraken_X, Dec 13, 2018
  15. raxadian

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Hence why I haven't bought a remixed Megaman collection since the PS2 days.

Honesty as this point they should sell the first ten Megaman games in a single bundle even if 8 might be a tad problematic, there should be no problems to do a full port of it, is a PS1 game, even if is just emulated any modern console can run it.

16. Molhel

Molhel Westworld Fanatic

Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Westworld
    Sounds like for the first time in a very, very long time I need to buy a Megaman game.

17. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    If by a few bucks you mean at least 10k, then sure, give me 10 grand and I'll buy one right away.
    That said, I can perfectly emulate it on PC which will have no additional cost, but nothing will ever overcome the real/intended hardware (even if it works like crap), at least for me.

Bottomline, the videogame industry sucks right now and who knows how long will it stay like so

18. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    Gotta love how something reaching an achievement a goal or a kind of success, instead of people going thats cool or congrats to a series that was honestly dying out. Instead gets shitted on, not to say that some of what is being said aint true. Like the whole why split it into 2 games instead of one solid collection and how the older version for GC or Ps1/2 were better.

But if your a fan of the series just say it and be happy its getting some kind of love after the past few years of abuse.

19. raxadian

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I don't mean those new "high compatible" crap, I mean the Asian clones that run pirated cardrdriges and you can still get. But those might have got a tad expensive if they are not manufactured anymore. Last one I bought was about ten years ago and it was quite cheap.