Mega Man 9 - New Screens & Details

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Jul 3, 2008.

Jul 3, 2008
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More art & screens:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/mega-man-9-w...626165055938021

Still not into the old school NES look? Well I guess its a case of tough shit but we all know what Capcom are like for remaking stuff. Now I welcome the look of the old style stuff but I reckon that there should be some better backgrounds there.

- There are doors marked Dr. L (Dr. Light) before each boss. This goes with Dr. Wily accusing Dr. Light of creating the evil robot masters
    - Galaxy Man: use portals to travel through the level, enemies that split and multiply
    - Plug Man: “disappearing block” puzzles
    - Hornet Man: lots of bees
    - Jewel Man: stand on swings and use momentum to make jumps
    - Magma Man: lava, lava, lava
    - Concrete Man: reminiscent of Guts Man
    - Tornado Man: spinning platforms, mid-air leaps
    - Splash Woman: Inafune designed this Robot Master, level features bubble puzzle reminiscent of Megan Man 5
    - Dr. Light’s shop is included
    - items to purchase: energy balancer, spike shoes, armor
    - play as Mega Man without his helmet, if you want to
    - Select screen and Menu screen feature music directly from Mega Man 2
    - Select screen features options that are not allowed to be discussed until E3
    - charged mega-buster and sliding not in the game, at this point. It is unclear if they will be in the final version.
    - Rush Coil confirmed
    - more to look forward to than the ‘regular game’. Menu screen holds other game options

Interview with developers:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mega-man-9-exc...070217152878013

2. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    From the screenshots it's a plain NES game.. I was hoping to see some features that couldn't be done on the NES, like a big number of sprites on screen.. hope that the final version has at least wide screen support :/

3. leathco

Newcomer leathco Member

United States
    There will be at least a few.

Check the seventh pic, Mega Mans' sprite is rotating around the think he is on. Don't think that would be doable on the old NES.

I'm with ya on the huge number of sprites, or maybe a single massive old-skool sprite, ala Giant Mario from Super Paper Mario.

4. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States
    Well the game was better when it was like this, but this is what Nintendo should be doing with the older hardware in turn creating new 8 bit, and 16 bit games in for wiiware.

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Mega Man 1 & 2 will be released on VC in August leading up to the release of 9.

Its been confirmed for release in Japan in September so I guess the NTSC/PAL will follow.

6. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    this is supposed to be wiiware? j\k

havent really played this kind of megaman
    \

only played megaman 4
    rockman 8
    and all megaman titles loaded up on vba wii

7. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I'm stoked for this. I don't mind the NES look because the GAMEPLAY of the NES games were great!

8. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    To be honest, this is kind of stupid.

Megaman 1 to 6 were supposed to be totally retro.
    Megaman 7 got a cartoonish overhaul
    Megaman 8 toned it a little more serious but still cartoony

Megaman 9 should have a BETTER look than Megaman 8. If this is the crossover between Megaman and Megaman X, it's going to tell a very shitty story with 8-bit graphics.

I expected a much better look, cool powerups, and so far I'm less than amazed and probably won't even go near this, even though I'm a huge Megaman fan.

9. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    When this comes out, maybe we can extract the nes rom from the channel, since they're probably developing the game as a NES game.

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yes, it has a NES look... but I'm sure it isn't being developed as a NES game [​IMG]

They'll probably use a lot of new technologies like real-time rotating sprites and sprite zooming and deformation... Things that a NES couldn't do [​IMG]

11. pwn3d91

Newcomer pwn3d91 Member

United States
    *Sigh* Guys. This is NES styled, not a NES game. Trust me, there'll be a crapload of effects/tricks that couldn't be done on the NES.

12. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Actually, they have it so close to the NES that the only way you can play is by either using a Gamecube Microphone or Download Play+DS and blowing on the microphone to get the game to start.

All jokes aside, it's only images thus far. We will need to see what they show off at E3. Who knows what goodies they have in store.

13. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, I'm not seeing any over-worked palettes or anything. This looks like an authentic NES game almost down to the 'T.'

That rotation-pill-thing pic can easily be done on the NES--all you have to do is load different graphics, mirror it on the bottom-side, and mirror Megaman's standard animation (same goes for any other frames not noticed in the shot)

14. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
  15. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    It seems the genius who ripped the video from NicoNico Douga forgot to turn of the comments.
    If you have an account the footage is from this video and starts at 17:15.
    The Inafune interview is so-so to watch even if you understand Japanese. I'm just happy he appreciates the whole Okkusenman thing.

16. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Somehow I can't believe this is happening...but then I think it's very cool they go ULTRA-OLDSCHOOL with this one. Imagine if Nintendo would make a new Super Mario World in the genuine SNES style....that would be wonderful!!!!

With Megaman I'm not too excited as the Megaman games were insanely tough....and sadly I don't have that patience anymore...

17. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    We already have Mega Man 1 and 2.

I don't care about the NES look. I just hope that this won't be one of the "50Hz" games on PAL systems. It's just a pain to see graphic glitches.

18. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    First video is out [​IMG]

19. alucard77

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just find it funny how everything is going full circle. Developers went from wanting to update graphics to downgrading graphics.

I have mixed feelings about this. Ideally I would have liked to see this done in a 2.5D Fashion like the PSP versions of the games, which are great. However, there is something to be said about the retro feel of the game as well.

The only problem I see with this, is that the game will look really poor on my 50" HDTV. It would look great on a an old school TV, but when you have the pixels get that big, it looks really poor. All the NES games need VSYNC and everthing else on to look good on a large TV in the emulators, so this may hold it back.

I think they should have released this for the DS or the PSP. The screen size would be great, and for whatever reason, I think it would be more fitting. For me personally, I think all handhelds should have 2D, 2.5D games and retro games, and the Home Console should really try to push the envelope.

Also, I am not sure about that interview. There is no real reason why they need a big group to make this game. 6 people could and should have made this game. Not sure how they did it, but they should have created as a NES game, sell it both as VC and as a pyschical NES cartridge. That would have been sweet.

20. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States

Boo! I just posted this in the User Submitted News section! Now I look like a plagiarist!

I'm ruined!