Mega Cat Studios to bring its "retro" games to PC and consoles

mega cat studios.PNG

If you've been taking a look at the review section, you might have come across my reviews for some of Mega Cat Studios' games like Creepy Brawlers and Little Medusa. If you were a bit more curious and read the reviews, you'd know that there's a trend with Mega Cat Studios: that of making new games for retro consoles (think NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive). Their effort alone is commendable but not everyone has a functional retro console lying around ready to boot some new games. Somewhat in an effort to address this issue, the company is aiming to bring its games to current-gen consoles.

As a first step towards consoles, their beat 'em up title Coffee Crisis is making its way to the Switch! As the name suggests, its plot revolves around a crisis that involves coffee, aliens, the internet and metal music! As random as these elements sound, they surprisingly condense into a meaningful storyline enough to get you to play through it. I am myself playing the Sega Mega Drive version and I can attest that it packs a lot of fun! (keep an eye out for an official review... sometime soon™ or so...) However, the Switch port has no firm release date yet but you can checkout the official trailer to have an idea in the meantime:

The company has also launched a Kickstarter campaign to bring another of its game, Log Jammers, to contemporary consoles. The title was initially released on the NES last year (told you that's their thing) and the PC game, which is nearly finished, will be launching within 6 weeks of the end of the campaign. The PS4, Xbox One and Switch versions are expected to drop by Q1 2019.

This revamped PC and console versions will boast new features like:
  • Updated graphics
  • New music and sounds
  • Online multiplayer
  • New smack talk from the roster of timber beasts
  • All new dynamic levels
  • Twitch and Mixer integration, and special modes just for these streaming platforms
  • Razer Chroma intergration for dynamic and reactive lighting
  • Cheerleader mode, featuring human and zombie cheerleaders
Interested? There's a free demo available on Steam for you to try out right now. If you do try it, share your thoughts below!

Our contact at Mega Cat Studios also mentions that they are working on a way to bring Little Medusa to current gen platforms as well. Additionally, they plan to have their future retro titles to have both cartridge and PC/current console versions. How would you prefer to play their games?

Still unsure about Mega Cat Studios' games? Check out my reviews for Creepy Brawlers and Little Medusa below!

:arrow: Log Jammers Kickstarter campaign
:arrow: Creepy Brawlers Official GBAtemp Review
:arrow: Little Medusa Official GBAtemp Review

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of updating grafx in retro game?
Nintendo did it for Super Mario All-Stars, and it looked great. It was only a one generation gap, a port/remaster, but it was still something that was a bonus and technically wasn't required.

Last edited by sup3rgh0st,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Nintendo did it for Super Mario All-Stars, and it looked great. It was only a one generation gap, a port/remaster, but it was still something that was a bonus and technically wasn't required.
I don't know about looking great, it didn't looked bad but pretty generic, but I agree that it was a general upgrade.
and anyway, if you ask me I'm pretty sick of new retro games looking all the same trying to emulate the nes, snes looking games are much more appealing while maintaining the retro look.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
mario games werent retro by then lol they only had afew years, its like saying ps3 games are retro...

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
What's the point of updating grafx in retro game?
We all try to make our retro games look crappier (using CRT filters and such) on purpose, and they are updating them, making them look "better" xD
Yeah, i get you!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i would rather go for content upgrade than visuals. (only visual improvement i validate is 60fps)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mario games werent retro by then lol they only had afew years, its like saying ps3 games are retro...
rxWSBAh.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte