Meet PDI Check, a $99 eye-exam 3DS app

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by zoogie, May 24, 2019.

?

What would you pay for this software?

This poll will close on May 24, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
  1. $100

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. $40

16 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. $10

21 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. $5

26 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. $1

23 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. I wouldn't even bother pirating it

230 vote(s)
    56.7%
  7. $0 (yarr)

82 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    I mean I guess it’s not unheard of, if you go to the Louvre museum they have a bunch of 3DSs available to use as your tour guides. They actually released the software on the eShop a year or two ago as well.

2. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
  3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
  4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
  5. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Yes, but are the ones in this 99$ version? They do look rather similar if not the same.

6. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    This kind of app should be not profit... but why now? 3DS is mostly died platform....

7. zoogie
    OP

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
  8. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't pay for it.

Probably wouldn't even download it for free, but maybe would just out of curiosity.

I don't mind that it exists, whatever the price. If it helps eyedoctors, great.

9. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    Joke I wrote
    In all honesty though, if you want to forgo the whole (99 dollar eye screening which is what I pay when I get my eyes check) and just order your glasses from 1-800-contacts (MY BRAND) I could see someone using (possibly in a country where economics are not good) this maybe a way to help the public in lower poverty countries. A lot of countries it's either pirating, or no video gaming, this could help the general public even if they pirate it. A doctor's job is to help patients, if a pirate used this for themselves, is it bad? This is for their own health and are not using it in a professional business like setting.

I for one applaud the doctors who spent the time translating the eye screening to the 3ds and I really do hope this helps some people in low poverty areas, I really hope I read stories about this someday.

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    If I had an American console I probably would :P
    (I have an O2DS but the effort to region change it is the thing I consider overly expensive more than the software)

11. templeofhylia

templeofhylia homo supreme

Sep 6, 2014
    Canada
    am i mistaken or is that icon literally just the same one used for one of the 3ds's dev apps? not sure which one it is off the top of my head but i wanna say the coin setter or config one.

12. Davidchao23

Davidchao23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    United States
    and they said the 3ds was dead

zoogie likes this.
  13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    So...if I ever lose my 20/20 vision and need to get my eyes checked, I will want to do it myself on a 3DS screen? Or will it be used to pass the time at the optometrist? It's going to help customers pass the time when they have smartphones or portable gaming devices of their own?

I'm afraid I don't see the practicality of this investment.

14. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    You guys are all poo pooing this game, but you'll be sorry when I kick your asses in Smash with The Optometrist™.

Last edited by regnad, May 26, 2019
  15. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    The issue I have with this app is that you have to input your answer with your hand using a stylus. And it goes beyond just testing your visusl acuity but your reflexes too. I mean, someone with poor reflexes will get worse results than those with average/good ones.

• Ex: I once tried to have my 50 year old uncle to play a game on my PS4. He had never played a videogame in his life before that day. And despite him using TV remotes everyday and having a good sight his inputs were so awful that you would think a two year old was holding the controller. It looked like he was trying to flight a plane qnd he was terrified to touch anything.
    I'm pretty sure they tried to account for this but someone inputting late may be registered as a "sight failure" when it had to do with reflexes instead.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I once had a conversation with a dentist about dealing with dementia patients (they have teeth issues like everybody else) and apparently it was not easy -- they mention to a carer that they had tooth pain this morning and might have forgotten when the appointment rolls around a day or two later, not to mention tooth might be "code" for I whacked my elbow. Does not mean you abandon patient history though for them and especially not your non dementia addled patients.

The medicine side of things here I don't know enough to particularly question, though simple visual acuity I am told is in some ways a lesser aspect of it -- the whole looking into the eye examination, puff of air in the eye and all that jazz likely doing far more, and a backlit letter board and tape measure to put a line on the floor not being too radical compared to the "is this or this better" machine (don't know if this fakes something there by going the other way).

My issue remains the 3ds seems like an odd choice for this. Having now ubiquitous devices like consoles and general purpose tablets do interesting things for medical fields is nothing new ( https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/03/software_patent_disabled_children_ipad/ https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/15/speak_for_yourself_app_judgment/ ). Before phones and tablets with easy end user programming took off, or took off in America at least (most of Europe and Japan had something like it, albeit nowhere near as free and open as even Apple were/are, never mind Android -- we had phone viruses in 2004 https://www.infoworld.com/article/2671045/cabir-mobile-phone-virus-spreads-to-france--japan.html https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/cabir.shtml ), then the handhelds and consoles often provided a nice in here by virtue of them being high powered (for the time) devices capable of some measure of computing -- https://web.archive.org/web/20160121120549/http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm
    There might be something to be said for a measure of standardisation, and it might be that the 3d screen being there by default for probably the majority of models means something else could be achieved that more conventional non 3d screens, possibly of various sizes and resolutions, would be a bit of a headache to work around.

17. The Frenchman

The Frenchman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    This looks like a cheap homebrew, selling this at 100$... hahaha!

wiewiec likes this.
  18. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    As a consumer I can get my eyes checked for free.

If i was a serious doctor /optician I would be a fool to test patients using a low res stereoscopic gaming system filled with ghosting and poor eye tracking.

19. zoogie
    OP

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    That dev icon is there because he's showing off an old build on a dev unit for some reason.

Honestly it looks better than the final retail icon imo (surprise surprise).
    f566aaa81ccc1a3a8f7464b0a1719480d21022853d4ea7bc93dbace1b28d3fc0.

Last edited by zoogie, May 26, 2019
    templeofhylia likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted