Meet PDI Check, a $99 eye-exam 3DS app

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by zoogie, May 24, 2019.

?

What would you pay for this software?

This poll will close on May 24, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
  1. $100

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. $40

15 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. $10

21 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. $5

26 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. $1

23 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. I wouldn't even bother pirating it

227 vote(s)
    56.9%
  7. $0 (yarr)

79 vote(s)
    19.8%

Front-page
    This is not what anyone would imagine a $99 3DS game would look like, or even that such a thing would ever exist at all.

But here it is in broad daylight, a hundred dollar game that's intended to be a clinically viable vision screening tester (released yesterday, May 23rd).

This product appears to be a collaboration between licensed ophthalmologists and a PhD candidate in technology and humanities, so there is some legitimacy behind the endeavor. Whether that translates to a single sale at this price is yet to be seen.

Note: This game is only available in the US / North American eShop. Additionally, the "Stereo" test requires the 3D feature. Despite there being no warning on the download page, you can purchase this expensive game on a 2ds(XL) and not realize this.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (61 replies)
  1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While I am always curious to see common devices twisted to such ends (whether it be the glucoboy or even something basic like a talking dictionary) I have to wonder how useful this will be in an era of ubiquitous tablets.

2. PixelSergey

PixelSergey Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2018
    Finland
    Helsinki
    Infer what you will

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i guess it has something to do with the stereoscopy settings that they went and did this for a 3ds.

and I'd guess it might be a niche for testing children and perhaps for stuff like quick and mobile tests and such.
    when i was unemployed for a while, i was stuck in a course that was supposed to make me more employable by aquiring a drivers license and the required knowledge for a delivery driver.
    and instead of having everyone go to get an eye exam privately, some dude came to the course with a bunch of charts and a microscope-like device to test who'd have to get glasses to proceed with driving lessons.
    this could be helpful for that.

Quantumcat and zoogie like this.
  4. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I would ONLY pirate the game. You should have added this option in the poll.
    Time to ask a certain subreddit...

Last edited by Alex4nder001, May 24, 2019
    tbb043, ThoD, x65943 and 1 other person like this.
  5. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I like the "I wouldn't even bother pirating it" option lol

6. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    $99 might be expensive for an eShop game, but I vaguely recall that even the simplest paper-based eye-testing materials can have such ridiculous prices that this might very well be a viable alternative.

7. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    I... I don't really see the use of it. I mean, eye examinations are free in Canada if you are under 18, so useless for children, and if you're an adult, you probably won't trust an app over an actual ophthalmologist (which I'm pretty sure would cost you less than the app anyways). I don't know the prices in USA, but I would be very surprised if they get any profit out of it.

gnmmarechal, CoolStarDood and Larsenv like this.
  8. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Lol @ that pirating option.
    Bold of you to think anyone will put $100 into purchasing and dumping it. :rofl2:

(Though I'll gladly eat my words if someone does >_>)

Last edited by 8BitWonder, May 25, 2019
  9. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Game doesn’t look that bad, not worth $99 though, that video reminded me of the ds and I guess 3ds when you go to settings to test if your touch screen is working.

10. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    While this could be useful to diagnose those eye problems, the price is unwarranted, since it doesn't seem to do anything special, regarding code/assets.
    As with everything American regarding medical care, divide the price by around 20 and that's about what it's worth, at 5$ I think this could see some use.

11. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I’m surprised they’d let anything medical related like this on the platform, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

CoolStarDood and Quantumcat like this.
  12. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's precisely the point. There's lots of us who have very different visual acuity with each eye or have things like astigmatism in one eye. It's also an interesting point because of the fear that the 3D effect might adversely effect the vision of children, but I wonder if conversely the issue is just how few children are given good, comprehensive vision tests as early as possible--like 3yo--because a lot of the long-term visual system wiring of the brain is apparently mostly laid at a very young age. I mean, I got glasses when I was 6yo and still my vision is still incredibly monoptic--I perceive most everything through the world mostly through my left eye and virtually no 3D effect anything works for me.

CoolStarDood, Tarmfot and Larsenv like this.
  13. The_Provider

The_Provider Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2016
    United States
    I heard about the medical field using the 3ds's no-glasses 3D tech. for testing peoples eyes so this is nice to see that it became a reality.

Also that price is outrageous, thanks for the last poll option lol

14. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    inb4 damages eyes

Sono likes this.
  15. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    One, it's not a game ppl. Two, while I wouldn't buy it, it is actually cheaper than an optometrist visit here in the states, especially if you don't have insurance for whatever reason. Just odd this wasn't a thing during the 3ds' hayday. More ppl may have jumped on it.

CoolStarDood likes this.
  16. wownmnpare

wownmnpare GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Wish they release this on the early years of 3ds.

Tarmfot, Sono and CallmeBerto like this.
  17. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Where is the "What do you mean by 'game'? This isn't a game." option in the poll?

gnmmarechal likes this.
  18. nWo
    This message by nWo has been removed from public view by WeedZ, May 25, 2019, Reason: Spam.
    May 25, 2019
  19. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    I'm assuming that this isn't a tool for the everyday user, but something a trained ophthalmologist is supposed to buy and use in a professional setting with numerous patients. And that's why it costs so much – you're not paying for a fancy user interface, you're paying for the years of research that have gone into proving that it's just as good for making professional diagnoses as some of the alternatives, which cost just as much, if not more. Presumably.

Unfortunately I am not an ophthalmologist and couldn't even tell you what the tests are called.

20. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    Lol I would test my vision with this