Meet Double Fine's new game: The Cave

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tim Schafer is the famed man behind a bunch of wonderful games no one played. Ron Gilbert created the series Monkey Island, which apparently has a pirate named Le Chuck in it. With their powers combined (along with the rest of the fine folks at Double Fine), they form The Cave!

TheCaveBox.jpg

...um, the other The Cave.

Brütal Legend and Costume Quest developer Double Fine has unveiled The Cave, a new adventure game from Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert.

...In Cave, you assemble a team of adventurers, explore a subterranean amusement park and encounter inter-continental ballistic missiles. "Rappelling", "spelunking" and dark rocky caverns also feature.
:arrow: Eurogamer

(Before we get too far, take note: from what I can tell, this is NOT the Kickstarter funded project.)

The article also comes with some handy artwork for the game. If you want a hint of what to expect, these should probably be enough to wet your whistle.

That game had me at "spelunking". Look guys, Double Fine may just be your studio's name, but you are all just fine with me.

If you're willing to take the plunge, Sega will release the game (a downloadable title) for the PC, 360, and PS3 in early 2013.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused. Since when do you write articles about things besides science?

When you get down to the basics, everything can be related back to a science of some sort. My streak remains eternal.
I think you're cheating.

Technicalities aren't cheating; it's just skirting the boundaries!
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cheat?q=cheat
I'm sure I could be very silly like you and find a way to call that unfair.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When you get down to the basics, everything can be related back to a science of some sort. My streak remains eternal.
I think you're cheating.

http://oxforddiction...n/cheat?q=cheat

Citing a pretty obvious (or at least, far from obscure) fact could be construed as unfair?

I'm sure if you were silly, and maybe squinted a bit, you might conjure a justification or two. By that point, though, we'd be in the territory of clown silliness, where conversation ends and pie throwing begins.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think you're cheating.

http://oxforddiction...n/cheat?q=cheat

Citing a pretty obvious (or at least, far from obscure) fact could be construed as unfair?

I'm sure if you were silly, and maybe squinted a bit, you might conjure a justification or two. By that point, though, we'd be in the territory of clown silliness, where conversation ends and pie throwing begins.
Challenge accepted.
iNtAL.gif

We are way off topic, now. I just had to end it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Janthran

Are we? The screenshots appear to feature a carnival area of sorts within the game, and knowing Schafer, clowns could easily work their way into the game. He has a real knack for incorporating wacky, outlandish humor without going too far off the rails, and I hope that will carry over into The Cave (whatever the form is).

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Psychonauts and Stacking is also from Double Fine.

You also forgot that Tim Schafer made Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.

They are all unique games with that special amazing kind of humor. I'm certainly looking forward to anything new from these guys.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW JANTHRAN RUINING ANOTHER THREAD THIS IS NEW.

But back on topic as clarky and Hadrian have done, I really don't enjoy adventure games so I'll probably skip this as I have like... every other adventure game.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Kotaku did a preview and they claim its Metroid meets Maniac Mansion...
[obligatory "shut up and take my money / I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening" comment]

Tim Schafer is the famed man behind a bunch of wonderful games no one played.
Correction: a bunch of wonderful games no one paid.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to see Sega pick up more digital titles, I think that is what they should focus on more. They have a lot of franchises that would work so well on the digital market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security