Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
hi,
#request
can u add this iso in your MediaCat USB its very useful win PE boot cd.
WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec (x86/x64/Native x86)

almost all tools in one pack

https://sergeistrelec.ru/winpe-10-8...-x64-native-x86-20201127-english-version.html
I'm well aware of this toolkit. Sergei has my respect, and I love that he does his own thing. But I believe having more options is a positive thing in this industry. Adding Sergei's WinPE to MediCat would really muddy my project in ways I just don't want. I love Sergei's tool, so feel free to add it yourselves, but it's not a good fit for me to include on MediCat USB. I know this isn't the answer you probably wanted to hear, but I kind of enjoy the friendly competition. of making my own boot disk. Gotta leave some fruit in the garden, ya know? :sleep:

Thanks Jayro for the latest version with the new tweaks. Wishing you a safe and happy Christmas and New Year. Will keep looking for the cats.
I wish you the best over the holidays as well. :toot:

(P.S. - The pictures aren't really difficult to find, they're almost where you'd expect them to be.) :ph34r: ;)

Last edited by Jayro,

NLS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
MediCat USB v20.12 has just released!

Any easy way to update an existing USB stick?
(because I already have extra ISO's plus other things I store in the stick, plus ventoy is already .30)

Just compare and replace new and eliminate old?

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Any easy way to update an existing USB stick?
(because I already have extra ISO's plus other things I store in the stick, plus ventoy is already .30)

Just compare and replace new and eliminate old?
Prettymuch. It's a bit too much for me to handle making update packs. I'm quite the scatterbrain. :rolleyes:

Update: Okay, the file hosts are all up and the torrent is seeding like a motherf***er. I'll give it a good long seeding for a few days until it's self-sustaining.

Last edited by Jayro,

NLS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Prettymuch. It's a bit too much for me to handle making update packs. I'm quite the scatterbrain. :rolleyes:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, the file hosts are all up and the torrent is seeding like a motherf***er. I'll give it a good long seeding for a few days until it's self-sustaining.

Will seed too, to help.

You can make a robocopy script (or I can) to include, for people to run and make a "mirror" of the new MediCat over the old (except extra folders where a user can store own extra isos etc.)...

BTW I think ventoy you include in 20.12 is still .29.

Reactions: Jayro and thiih_

thiih_

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
BTW I think ventoy you include in 20.12 is still .29.

Yeap, I was about to post that, just downloaded from magnet and Ventoy is 1.0.29.

Try remaking the usb, but in Ventoy2Disk use GPT setting instead.

Got another laptop with same issue:

Boot menu (UEFI) detects it as 'Linpus lite' (this one detects just LINUX). This one has CSM and UEFI options, both detects LINUX boot disk and don't boot to MediCat Menu.

Remaking ventoy using GPT seems to solved it. But I'll be able to boot on Older Legacy BIOS with Ventoy using GPT partition? I tested on a machine with Legacy SandyBridge (Oldest I have here) and seems to work.

Last edited by thiih_,

Abominator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
MediCat USB v20.12 has just released!

View attachment 238873

This release brings a few cool changes. I managed to replace the 3 password reset discs on here with 1 that I made myself, called Jayro's Lockpick. It bundles all the best and latest password reset tools for Windows user accounts into a single WinPE, in a nice easy to use menu. The menu can also be launched on a live Windows OS installation as well. There's a new translation app in the PortableApps menu, there's new Driverpacks, and many boot discs have been updated. Malwarebytes Bootable has been re-worked from a 2018 WinPE into an older 2016 WinPE, to boot faster and it's smaller. Still gets the job done, but with far less bloat! Lots of other changes, so go read the changelog. (I'm kind of shocked nobody has found the pictures of my cat yet, I've hidden 4 of them in Mini Windows 10.)

So feel free to check that out. Thanks for your patience, and have a happy holiday!
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
TBW I think ventoy you include in 20.12 is still .29.
Yeap, I was about to post that, just downloaded from magnet and Ventoy is 1.0.29.
Whoops, slight oversight on my part. I forgot to update Ventoy2Disk. Sorry about that. That will be an easy fix on the file hosts', but the torrent will still have the old version.

madbomb122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Update: Okay, the file hosts are all up and the torrent is seeding like a motherf***er. I'll give it a good long seeding for a few days until it's self-sustaining.

if I may suggest, since we create the drive instead of from an img file... instead of having everything in 1 split zipped file.. have 3 or more different zip files.. 1 for the medicat theme, 1 for portable apps, 1 for everything else (boot disks and stuff)
Or even uploading the boot images or folder on there own

this makes it so you don't need to update the whole thing if just the boot images change.. or if people don't need the portable apps since they already have them or whatever

also this makes it easier for us users to update if you don't provide an update file

edit: some images are also not updated often or anymore those should also be in a separate zip

Last edited by madbomb122,

NLS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if I may suggest, since we create the drive instead of from an img file... instead of having everything in 1 split zipped file.. have 3 or more different zip files.. 1 for the medicat theme, 1 for portable apps, 1 for everything else (boot disks and stuff)

this makes it so you don't need to update the whole thing if just the boot images change.. or if people don't need the portable apps since they already have them or whatever

also this makes it easier for us users to update if you don't provide an update file

I think his suggestion is valid.
Will provide more flexibility to you @Jayro too, not just help us.

pertus

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello from Paris, the little beginner that I am

Downloading recently from Mega the 6 Medicat.main.partition.00x files (instead of the 9 Medicat.7z.00x ones - not the same name ??) and decompressing with 7-Zip (with defender initially "shorted") never gives me a .img or a .iso file, but a total complete files layout, as seen in every computer when looking on C: so about my questions :

- what did I wrong, in order getting the whole trees isntead of this unique wanted image file ?

- 7-zip decompressing on D: of the internal D-D or an external SSD (via SATA to USB cable) gives me exatly the same thing (NTFS formatting and with or without Wentoy)

- Impossible to boot it via the normal BIOS mode, and my computers are too old for UEFI mode

NB : absolutely no decompressing problems with both Hiren's boot(s), Medicat 19.10 and Sergei Strelec ones - only with Gandalf's 3-03-13-2018 ISO also not booting, so what coult I did wrong ?

Best thanks in advance an 73 from Marcel near Paris

neofita

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hello from Paris, the little beginner that I am

Downloading recently from Mega the 6 Medicat.main.partition.00x files (instead of the 9 Medicat.7z.00x ones - not the same name ??) and decompressing with 7-Zip (with defender initially "shorted") never gives me a .img or a .iso file, but a total complete files layout, as seen in every computer when looking on C: so about my questions :

- what did I wrong, in order getting the whole trees isntead of this unique wanted image file ?

- 7-zip decompressing on D: of the internal D-D or an external SSD (via SATA to USB cable) gives me exatly the same thing (NTFS formatting and with or without Wentoy)

- Impossible to boot it via the normal BIOS mode, and my computers are too old for UEFI mode

NB : absolutely no decompressing problems with both Hiren's boot(s), Medicat 19.10 and Sergei Strelec ones - only with Gandalf's 3-03-13-2018 ISO also not booting, so what coult I did wrong ?

Best thanks in advance an 73 from Marcel near Paris

did you follow the instructions exactly?

usb-creation-instructions-png.235216

A_long_ID_to_avoid_dup

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello all,
This ventoy combo admin key so far is the best I've seen. I have now personalized it to create my personal key (to my taste ;-).
I only have 2 questions about MedicatPE and its associated folders located in the first partition:
1) a "PortableApps" folder exists: OK - easy to understand, but what about the "Program" folder. It looks like the Windows 10 "Program Files" folder but not referenced in the Medicat PE start menu - does it contain portable applications? if so: why have 2 different files?
2) My USB drive is a 256 GB SSD with multiple partitions. I know that ventoy is not (yet?) able to boot an ISO file from a partition different from the first one, so I would like to move all portable programs to another partition to save room for other files ISO. Do you think that it is possible to declare to MedicatPE in a future version the partitions where the additional files are instead of X:? (a file like CdUsb.Y?)

tellis100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to share this in case anyone else has this issue. Fought this problem for a week and finally figured it out. My issue was booting Mini_Windows_10.iso or any other flavor of WinPE, my resolution was always defaulting to 640x480. Tried several USB drives using both MediCat 20.11 and 20.12 on two different laptops. I dug through the ventoy.org forums and found some info and started playing around with the ventoy\ventoy.json file. This still resulted in 640x480 boots regardless of what I set the resolution, GFX or CLI mode didn't help either.

Long story short. When creating your USB drive, in Ventoy2Disk, under options, uncheck Secure Boot Support. That's it. After digging through the bioses on both laptops, neither had secure boot set.

Spiren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello again,

I had problems booting the Windows 10 Mini disc quite a while ago (i think between 20.4 to 20.9) but since 20.12 i can finally boot the Windows 10 mini disc on my PC. It might have solved with a BIOS update i did between 20.9 and 20.12. But now it boots.

I do have found some issues with MediCat 20.12 though:
  • The MalwareBytes Bootable Disc doesn't work: MalwareBytes doesn't update it's definitions and cancels it's scan after a few seconds. I have it with the Threat scan and the custom scan scanning a drive only.
  • .Net framework on the Windows Mini 10 disc seems to be missing: TreeSize Pro and ShadowExplorer doesn't work due to this.
  • The MalwareBytes Bootable Disc doesn't boot in UEFI mode, it says that the PC/Device needs to be repaired with the error code: 0xc000009a.
  • When booting in UEFI, the Ventoy menu spazzes out until i press the down key. It may open a folder while doing it but after that the spazzing is gone, it might be a peripheral on my local PC but i only have it in UEFI mode.
I created the USB drive with the method that's included with the release using Ventoy2Disk version 1.30. The USB Drive is an virtual one that's on my IODD 2541 (.rmd file with no extra CD or HDD mode and with no extra virtual disks loaded).

Last edited by Spiren,

ZoRRo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ventoy 1.0.31 release LoL

Fix a bug in Ventoy2Disk.exe for 2TB+ disk
Fix a bug when use workaround for Legacy BIOS access limitation.
Fix a bug about source media missing when boot rhel 8.3/CentOS 8.3
Rebuild some x86_64 binraries with musl-libc to avoid virus false positive. (issue #660)
Change default label from ventoy to Ventoy in Ventoy2Disk.sh (PR #656)

Reactions: BastardFromNowhere

NLS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Rebuild some x86_64 binraries with musl-libc to avoid virus false positive. (issue #660)

So how do we update to new ventoy without formatting the stick again?

Chansm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore

Make sure you dont use 1.0.30 as it has virus detected (for my case, by symantec).

Gremlin220366

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So how do we update to new ventoy without formatting the stick again?
On windows download latest version of ventoy and extract all. plug in your usb then open ventoy2disk exe and then hit UPDATE button. Your ISO files already on the usb will remain OK. DO NOT PRESS INSTALL BUTTON or it will format the usb and you will lose everything

NLS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
On windows download latest version of ventoy and extract all. plug in your usb then open ventoy2disk exe and then hit UPDATE button. Your ISO files already on the usb will remain OK. DO NOT PRESS INSTALL BUTTON or it will format the usb and you will lose everything

Can you believe I never saw that button?
My brain registered it as cancel or something...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off