• Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

cputester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I am just know updated my USB stick with the latest version. Is the "Update Instructions" file used for something? I don't find a "Update_xx.xx.xx.zip" file to use as stated in the file.

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I have been trying to get UEFI booting, but I just don't understand it at all. I can't seem to get UEFI to chainloading into SYSLINUX no matter what I try. And I'm not opposed to help.

@Jayro
Did you look into using another bootloader instead of SYSLINUX, such as rEFInd, gummiboot/systemd-boot, or GRUB, GRUB2 or another?
I read that they are EFI-chainload-capable bootloaders.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
@Jayro
Did you look into using another bootloader instead of SYSLINUX, such as rEFInd, gummiboot/systemd-boot, or GRUB, GRUB2 or another?
I read that they are EFI-chainload-capable bootloaders.
I've tried modifying a Lubuntu disc, but only got so far... I don't understand grub commands fully yet, or I'd switch in a heartbeat.

dr_lucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I have a little small problem on a computer, medikat directly boot on windows 10 PE, not in the console menu.
That's probably because you are booting in UEFI mode. You should boot in legacy mode to get the full console. You may need to change your BIOS settings to boot in legacy mode or mixed legacy/UEFI mode, if that option is available, otherwise if your computer is UEFI only, you can not boot into the console menu until Medicat will be fully UEFI compatible.

principealex1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Both Mini Windows 10 and Lubuntu load fine?, because for me one of the two must not work, based on what i choose [Unlisted Grub or Unlisted Syslinux (Syslinux has the same effect as "Medicat entry" on Yumi to me)]
The latest YUMI just extracts MediCat to the root of the USB, like Rufus does. There shouldn't be any reason it won't boot those, unless the YUMI devs tried to move files and folders around.

Mat69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New version of rufus ( 3.1 ) is here . . . https://rufus.ie/

Changelog:

Version 3.1 (2018.06.19)
  • Fix extraction of ISO content for GRUB based ISOs (Manjaro, Kaspersky, etc.)
  • Fix text being truncated on some dialogs (mostly Russian and Thai)
  • Add detection & warning about the 'Controlled Folder Access' Windows 10 feature
  • Improve retry attempts for transient errors
  • Increase size of the ESP to 300MB, for Windows To Go drives partitioned as GPT
  • Update GRUB 2.0 and Grub4DOS to latest
  • Update libcdio to latest

Last edited by Mat69,
Reactions: Jayro

Herrmansen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to get JUST the portable apps aspect? I'm quite happy with my current setup of using Easy2Boot for Windows installs, and booting into Gandalf through it for troubleshooting, cdkey pulling for reinstalls and other stuff I need on a daily basis to service customer PCs. Been using Hirens' unpacked running from the USB stick without any of its bootable tools, but they're quite old at this point.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to get JUST the portable apps aspect? I'm quite happy with my current setup of using Easy2Boot for Windows installs, and booting into Gandalf through it for troubleshooting, cdkey pulling for reinstalls and other stuff I need on a daily basis to service customer PCs. Been using Hirens' unpacked running from the USB stick without any of its bootable tools, but they're quite old at this point.
Yeah, you can just mount the ISO and pull Start.exe and the PortableApps folder off, onto your USB stick.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.... I realized that seconds later. :rofl2:

Still missing some apps, but PortableApps seems surprisingly easy to work with. :D
The apps that show up in the Start Menu are in the Programs folder, and can probably co-exist with the others just fine.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
maybe i asked it before, what is it? what's the use for?
It's a modern boot disk. I wouldn't say it's a "Hiren's boot disk" killer exactly, but I've been trying to at least match it where it left off in 2012.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a modern boot disk. I wouldn't say it's a "Hiren's boot disk" killer exactly, but I've been trying to at least match it where it left off in 2012.
can you create a boot-able usb drive in case if ur pc is down due to virus? so is it a emergency rescue disk?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
can you create a boot-able usb drive in case if ur pc is down due to virus? so is it a emergency rescue disk?
Yes, absolutely. It even comes with a bootable version of Malwarebytes I maintain.

Reactions: Mat69 and leon315

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.