• Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

aelfwine88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Any partition management tool like Gparted should be able to adjust the partitions.
Non of the partition managers I tried are able to resize an exfat partition. I tried Minitool, AOMEI, EaseUS, gparted.
DiskGenius the only one I found that claimed it can resize it but after a few minutes the remaining time counter was already up 5+ hours on a USB3 drive.

For reference:
gparted . org / features . php
(Stupid forum does not allow me to insert links...)

So how exactly can I resize that partition?

Last edited by aelfwine88,

Spiren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

Currently, I'm trying the Windows 10 mini OS from MediCat. However it doesn't boot on my main PC. It's getting stuck on the Windows logo with the rotating dots. After a while, the IO light of the USB device doesn't blink anymore, Which means WinPE stopped loading files. I have this issue with the separate ISO from 19.10 as with the new MediCat 20.05.

I've tried to boot from either BIOS (Legacy) mode and UEFI mode. I also tried USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. I also tried to boot from an USB stick and from a virtual USB stick mounted by a IODD 2541 HDD Enclosure.

Loading with MEMDISK also gives me the same result.

My PC has a Ryzen R7 3700X as CPU with a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard and 32GB of DDR4 RAM on 3200mHz. Also my PC has 3 monitors plugged in but i doubt the problem is related to that.

I've also tried to boot a different WinPE image from someone else and that one boots fine. Booting the Windows 10 mini OS on my laptops works fine as from the IODD hard drive as the USB stick.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Currently, I'm trying the Windows 10 mini OS from MediCat. However it doesn't boot on my main PC. It's getting stuck on the Windows logo with the rotating dots. After a while, the IO light of the USB device doesn't blink anymore, Which means WinPE stopped loading files. I have this issue with the separate ISO from 19.10 as with the new MediCat 20.05.

I've tried to boot from either BIOS (Legacy) mode and UEFI mode. I also tried USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. I also tried to boot from an USB stick and from a virtual USB stick mounted by a IODD 2541 HDD Enclosure.

Loading with MEMDISK also gives me the same result.

My PC has a Ryzen R7 3700X as CPU with a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard and 32GB of DDR4 RAM on 3200mHz. Also my PC has 3 monitors plugged in but i doubt the problem is related to that.

I've also tried to boot a different WinPE image from someone else and that one boots fine. Booting the Windows 10 mini OS on my laptops works fine as from the IODD hard drive as the USB stick.

If you need more information, please let me know.
This is the first time I've heard of this issue. I'm wondering if maybe there's a certain driver in the boot.wim file of the WinPE that your PC doesn't agree with. That's the only thing that really comes to mind. Easy_DISM can remove third-party drivers from the boot.wim, so you could try that and see if it fixes it for you. (I'm also a HUGE fan of my iODD 2541 enclosure, it makes PC repair a fucking BREEZE! Paired with a 500GB SSD, it's easily the best investment of my entire career!)

Reactions: BuxB

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is amazing. I've been using the 19.10 before on multiple PCs.

Unfortunately I cannot try 20.05, because it is distributed as a binary.
I use it to boot on any PC, including my macs. The previous versions were iso files, which means I could extract the files and make the necessary partitions and EFI to work.
It is not feasible to extract and change the image on its current format. Do you think you could provide this in iso?

Better yet, if you include rEFInd, which supports all the OS :D

Thanks!

Last edited by Henx,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

This is amazing. I've been using the 19.10 before on multiple PCs.

Unfortunately I cannot try 20.05, because it is distributed as a binary.
I use it to boot on any PC, including my macs. The previous versions were iso files, which means I could extract the files and make the necessary partitions and EFI to work.
It is not feasible to extract and change the image on its current format. Do you think you could provide this in iso?

Better yet, if you include rEFInd, which supports all the OS :D

Thanks!
I don't have any clue how to turn a bootable USB into a bootable iso, only the other way around.

aelfwine88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
As there is no feasible way to resize an exfat partition can you write a quick summary how can we create the necessary partitions and boot records (then just copy the files) for the current version of MediCat?

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any clue how to turn a bootable USB into a bootable iso, only the other way around.

It doesn't have to be bootable. In my case, I just need to extract the contents. My knowledge on boot logic is basic, but rEFInd supports creating a bootable USB that you can then modify. Works everywhere.

ChangelingSpy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't have to be bootable. In my case, I just need to extract the contents. My knowledge on boot logic is basic, but rEFInd supports creating a bootable USB that you can then modify. Works everywhere.

To extract the contents you can download "OSFMount" from osforensics dot com (I cant link since new member) and mount the BIN with it. From there you can access the ISOs unimpeded.

I'll see if I can reupload it in split chunks of 4GB later tonight. But I'm stuck at work for another 6 hours. My PC is on at home seeding. Hopefully between me and my friends seedbox it will pick up speed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any partition management tool like Gparted should be able to adjust the partitions.

The partition order doesn't allow for the data containing partition to be extended. The MediCat partition is the first one defined and is blocked from extension by the EFI partition to its right.
upload_2020-5-30_10-31-29.png

Additionally, extending exfat partitions appears to be a nontrivial task as it isn't supported in gparted nor in windows disk management and there are few softwares that do support resizing it

BuxB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Jayro : first of all, my condolences to you about your brother. I hope you and your family have found a way to cope with the loss. If you feel the urge or need to share more with us about what happened or about how you do, just do so. Other than that, your privacy is always respected.

2nd, thanks for your new release. It'll take me a while before I'll be able to download and test it.

@ all who feel the need to resize an exFat partition: just let Eassos DiskGenius do its job! Even though it might show a high estimated time remaining number at some point, my experience is that that goes down significantly suddenly. I never had to wait over nite for an exFat resize to finish. And even if, so what..

@ChangelingSpy , @ all: that there is another partition above the exFat one does not matter at all for resizing the exFat below it, because it (in this case the EFI partition) can be moved, too, either before (in case of up-sizing) or after (in case of down-sizing).

Last edited by BuxB,

Spiren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the first time I've heard of this issue. I'm wondering if maybe there's a certain driver in the boot.wim file of the WinPE that your PC doesn't agree with. That's the only thing that really comes to mind. Easy_DISM can remove third-party drivers from the boot.wim, so you could try that and see if it fixes it for you. (I'm also a HUGE fan of my iODD 2541 enclosure, it makes PC repair a fucking BREEZE! Paired with a 500GB SSD, it's easily the best investment of my entire career!)
I have removed all the third-party drivers using Easy_DISM, committed all the changes into boot.wim and repackaged the WINPE into an ISO. But sadly it's still stuck at the rotating dots.

Also, the IODD 2541 is a very versatile enclose. It just saves the hassle to re-flash USB sticks and it can do stuff like installing MacOS on a VHDD if an iMac doesn't boot or something which is very nice. I just need to get an SSD later since it's using an old HDD drive atm.

Reactions: BuxB and Jayro

CardcaptorRLH85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for MediCat USB 20.05.

Any idea how to disable "Windows Defender" during creation of the MediCat USB stick?
If you're having that issue, go into Windows Settings App (Windows+I), select "Update & Security", select "Windows Security" on the left, and then select "Virus & threat protection". You should turn off Real-time protection in the window that opens.

Make sure to turn it back on once you're done!

Reactions: BuxB and Jayro

aelfwine88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@ all who feel the need to resize an exFat partition: just let Eassos DiskGenius do its job! Even though it might show a high estimated time remaining number at some point, my experience is that that goes down significantly suddenly. I never had to wait over nite for an exFat resize to finish. And even if, so what..
Even so the pendrive become unbootable in legacy mode. Just tried it and after the move + resize process (which really finishes within 10 minutes) the drive refuses to boot up.

The only way I managed to make it work is the following (I used Minitool):
1. Create the pendrive as described by Jayro's guide
2. Copy every files to another drive
3. Move the EFI partition to the end of the drive
4. Delete the exFat partition
5. Create a new exFat partition with the right size
6. Copy back every files to the exFat partition

This process takes up a lot of time even on a USB3 drive and I don't even know that everything will work as designed. And even if everything works I know that you need to do it only once and hey its an epidemic out there so what if it takes up a lot of time etc... but frankly I just feel it a little bit clunky.

At this point it would be more user friendly to distribute the files as a compressed archive and give the users a guide how can they make their own partitions and copy the files. It would reduce the whole process time to 1/3.

Also I don't want to sound ungrateful here since I really appreciate Jayro's work.
I just wanted to point out some problems with the current release and that's all.

aelfwine88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Also a small suggestion, tweak:

Put a .ventoyignore file in every folder that not containing iso files (PortableApps, Programs, and your custom folders).
That will make the init process of ventoy much faster since it does not need to scan these folders\subfolders.
Boot for me went from 13 seconds to 2 with this.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Also a small suggestion, tweak:

Put a .ventoyignore file in every folder that not containing iso files (PortableApps, Programs, and your custom folders).
That will make the init process of ventoy much faster since it does not need to scan these folders\subfolders.
Boot for me went from 13 seconds to 2 with this.
Amazing advice, I'll do that. I might make a 64GB version too, since folks aren't too keen on my 32GB version. I was just trying to save space, but hopefully 7Zip will compress that empty space close to zero for a similar file size.

aelfwine88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Amazing advice, I'll do that. I might make a 64GB version too, since folks aren't too keen on my 32GB version. I was just trying to save space, but hopefully 7Zip will compress that empty space close to zero for a similar file size.
You have to put only 1 file in every root folders so they don't need to be present in every subfolders under them... but I guess you figured that one by yourself. :D

Also don't get me wrong, I'm keen with your work but how am I suppose to copy 2 or more windows install ISOs to the OSimages folder when there is not enough space on the partition? :P

Btw is there a way to boot up a windows installer iso in legacy bios mode?

zane90

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, is it safe to update ventoy in medicat? I downloaded Ventoy and doen't recognize the version installed on the flash drive.

Ventoy seems to have been an interesting discovery, has more advantages than other similar software and is just at the beginning of development.

Last edited by zane90,
Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, is it safe to update ventoy in medicat? I downloaded Ventoy and doen't recognize the version installed on the flash drive.

Ventoy seems to have been an interesting discovery, has more advantages than other similar software and is just at the beginning of development.
If you update Ventoy, it will undo all my changes, but will function exactly the same as mine. My changes are purely cosmetic so far, and I'm just trying to make things easier to use.

BuxB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even so the pendrive become unbootable in legacy mode. Just tried it and after the move + resize process (which really finishes within 10 minutes) the drive refuses to boot up.
1. launch BootIce. Choose your Medicat flash drive and backup both, PBR and MBR. Also note what kind they are, if BootIce displays that info
2. resize the exFat with DiskGenius
3. re-launch BootIce. Restore either PBR or MBR, whatever does not get detected anymore, leaving the partition table untouched
4. reboot your Medicat flash drive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Real Jdbye yeah those are great too