OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Using a fixed root(hd0,0) will not work for every case!

Try to add: find --set-root /Win10PE.cd instead

APPEND --config-file="find --set-root /Win10PE.cd; chainloader /bootmgr"

This way grub will search for the file Win10PE.cd on the root of the USB flash drive and set the root() accordingly
That is very smart, I'll try this.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE!

It seems I've successfully fixed the UBCD boot errors, some entries were missing the /ubcd/ part before the rest of the boot path. Adding it fixed the broken ones. DBAN was broken too, and it's been fixed. Also used @mbovenka 's and @MrZeb 's fix to get Mini Windows 10 booting. Malwarebytes boot entry was reverted back to the old ISO booting method that worked before, and the "Continue Booting the PC" menu command was re-written and now continues on to the next bootable device, usually your harddrive. (Tested on my real machines)

I'll be writing up the changelog now and upload the newly updated ISO files in a moment. But for now, HERE is the new patch ZIP file.

Just extract it to your MediCat USB's root, replacing all files.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: Mat69

mbovenka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Using a fixed root(hd0,0) will not work for every case!

Try to add: find --set-root /Win10PE.cd instead

APPEND --config-file="find --set-root /Win10PE.cd; chainloader /bootmgr"

This way grub will search for the file Win10PE.cd on the root of the USB flash drive and set the root() accordingly

Ah, so that's how you do that! I was looking into doing this, but couldn't figure out how to do it fpr the USB stick itself and ended up just putting the root in. Thanks!

Reactions: Jayro

mbovenka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's in main_menu.cfg

That's where it's supposed to be, but the MiniWin10 entry in there looks like this:

label Mini Windows 10
menu default
menu label Mini Windows 10 ==>
kernel /boot/grub.exe
APPEND --config-file="chainloader /bootmgr"
text help
Boot into 64-Bit Mini Windows 10. [Win10PESE_x64]
endtext

royallyfedup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps I missed it at the first couple of posts in this long thread but I am a bit confused what the difference is between Medicat USB and the MiniWindows10 files. Is the Medicat USB come with a bootable Linux boot loader? Wanted something to use with Easy2Boot USB flash drive I already have. Perhaps an explaination if there is not already one explaining the difference between these two releases / ISOs would be helpful to others as well.

Never mind found the explanation it was hidden on the first page.

Last edited by royallyfedup,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to bump, but has the new update worked for anyone? Is anything else not working? It all works on my personal machines. I tried to fix as much as possible, so I'd love some feedback.

(Especially if anything is still broken.)

FormulaPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to bump, but has the new update worked for anyone? Is anything else not working? It all works on my personal machines. I tried to fix as much as possible, so I'd love some feedback.

(Especially if anything is still broken.)

I applied the update zip file and can now boot into Mini Windows 10 (yay!) but haven't had time to try anything else yet. Thanks!

Update: Nearly everything works for me and the things that don't work I wasn't interested in anyway. Here's what I found...
  • UBCD: none of the options that come up after choosing to boot to UBCD work, everything drops me to a "boot:" prompt with the message "linux.c32: not a COM32R image"
  • Kon-Boot: says something along the lines of a dummy bios has been detected and attempts to fix the problem, then "reboots" right back to the main MediCat menu (it says it's rebooting but doesn't actually reboot the system, just loads back to the main menu)
  • SpinRite: shows the following
    GRUB4DOS 0.4.6a 2017-10-14, root is (0x80, 0)
    Processing the preset menu ...
    (hd0,0)
    Load segment: 0x7C0 System Type: 0x6 Sector Count: 0x1
    Load RBA: 0x1B Boot Type: 2 = 1.44M floppy
    FreeDOS_ (this is where it stops with a blinking "_")
    It possibly does not like systems with more than a certain amount of RAM, I think I've run into this before but I'm not sure.
  • PassScape: says "Windows failed to start (blah blah blah)"
    File: \Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
  • UUKeys: "Your PC ran into an error. We're collecting information..."
  • Continue Booting The PC: reboots the PC
Again, these are things that I wasn't interested in anyway but I'm sure others will be so I thought I'd share what I found. Thanks again for all the work you've put into this!

Last edited by FormulaPhoenix,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

That problem with PassScape is because the WIM file inside the ISO is corrupted, someone reported this problem before.
That's next on my to-do list is investigate that, because I've got nothing erroring on my end.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
hello
Medicat DVD is great

How to connect wifi network with miniwindows ?

thanks
You open PENetwork from the task tray, and change to the Wi-Fi card. Then click on the Wi-Fi tab, and choose your wireless network.

(If no wireless networks show up, install the driver for it using Snappy Driver Installer in the PortableApps menu. Ethernet may be required, or a flash drive if you used another pic to download your wireless driver.)

zeromant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello, i've downloaded the incorrect version i needed and wasted like 19 hours, internet connection here is quite slow :(, is there a link to download only the portableapps suite from the full medicat USB release and patch it to the naked version? Thanks in advance.

jakin1950

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You open PENetwork from the task tray, and change to the Wi-Fi card. Then click on the Wi-Fi tab, and choose your wireless network.

(If no wireless networks show up, install the driver for it using Snappy Driver Installer in the PortableApps menu. Ethernet may be required, or a flash drive if you used another pic to download your wireless driver.)

thanks
Penetwork opens when usb stick boots , finds the wifi card driver , then freeze.
once y got a message newdev.dll is missing
i put the files in WinSxS in the boot partition without help

When y open Penetwork from the usb stick on my desktop PC , it works fine

have you un idea?

Best regards

royallyfedup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to use Easy2Boot to allow me to place several ISOs etc on a single USB flash drive. Easy2Boot has a util that allows one to create .IMGptn that allows one to boot the payload either under UEFI as well as under MBR. The website has several ISOs that have been tested including Medicat http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/list-of-tested-payload-files/

47. Medicat MiniWindows Win10PESE_x64.iso (based on WinBuilder ISO), Win10PESE_x86.iso (based on WinBuilder ISO). Use MakePartImage.cmd and choose syslinux v4 (not v3 as suggested). Medicat.17.04.01.iso
Medicat MediCat DVD ISO contains MSDaRT and WinBuilder WinPEs - use .iso file extension. If some systems that give a BSOD 0x000000A5 ACPI error, repeatedly press the F7 function key when it prompts you to press F6 as it boots to XP PE. Medicat.4.23.2016.iso. To run Chrome and some other programs in MiniWindows 10, convert the ISO file to a .imgPTN file (use syslinux v4 or v5 - do not use v3 or will not boot to Medicat menu). Medicat.17.04.01.iso

I have no problem using the Medicat MiniWindows10 17.10.01 since it does not have Linux bootloader attached. I attempted to use the 11GB Medicat USB ISO and make a .IMGptn file that I could put on a Easy2Boot flash drive. The instructions above indicate to use SyslinuxV4 or V5. When I do use Syslinux V4 the resultant IMGptn fails to boot properly on the Easy2Boot flash drive. It winds up hanging at the GRUB screen saying

Shell EFI 64
System Shutdow
System restart
Boot from First Hard Disk

Is anyone here sucessfully using Medicat USB ISO with Easy2Boot software?

UPDATE1
:

Figured a solution. Once you select the IMGptn file you are prompted to replace the Easy2Boot partition table which is normal. Once you do that you are presented with a Easy2Boot CSM Menu. Normally one would select BOOT FROM THIS DRIVE which is option 1. With Medicat USB one has to select 4. Alternate Boot (syslinux.bin) once you do that the Medicat USB iso/IMGptn file boots like it would if the image had been written to its own USB flash drive. When I created this IMGptn file via Easy2Boot I selected SyslinuxV4

UPDATE2:
I have two USB flash drives here boot using Medicat USB ISO.
Drive 1: A Easy2Boot drive using an IMGPTN file in the WinPE diretory
Drive 2: A flash drive which was created using the steps outlined in the first page of this thread.

Test system is a Dell Optiplex 3040 which is using Legacy Boot but has the ability to boot via UEFI

DRIVE 1 Test using IMGptn file

When I boot the computer in Legacy mode with Drive 1, under the computer boot device selection menu I see USB device under Legacy. When I select the USB drive option I wind up seeing the main menu of the Medicat US which has a variety of entries for Mini Windows10 and other utils. That is how it should work.

When I boot the computer in UEFI mode w Secure Boot off w Drive 1, I see two entries in the boot selection menu. One under Legacy which boots to the main selection menu. If however I select the UEFI boot entry the USB drive boots directly into Windows10 Mini.

DRIVE 2 Test

When I boot the computer in Legacy mode with Drive 2, under the computer boot device selection menu I see USB device under Legacy. When I select the USB drive option I wind up seeing the main menu of the Medicat US which has a variety of entries for Mini Windows10 and other utils. That is how it should work.

When I change the computer to boot via UEFI w secure boot off and boot with Drive 2 then under the computer boot device selection menu there is only 1 entry for USB device and that is under Legacy. There is no UEFI mode menu entry. Selecting the Legacy entry the drive boots to the Medicat selection menu.

It seems that if you want to see the main menu of the Medicat USB ISO then you have to boot the USB drive via Legacy Mode.

Why is it that I can not see a USB entry under this computer's UEFI using the Medicat USB standalone flash drive and instead only see a Legacy entry?

The only way to get a UEFI boot menu device to show is to use a IMGPTN Easy2Boot file. Even then the drive boots directly into MiniWindows10. What I would like to be able to do is to boot either via Legacy Mode or UEFI mode and see the main selection menu of the Medicat USB. Is this not possible?

Last edited by royallyfedup,

jakin1950

Trophies
XP
Country
France
greeting
I have installed the drivers for the wifi and Ethernet cards.
I can see the 3 wifi networks available at home
I tried to log in manually with the network name, WPAS, and password, unsuccessfully.
Do you have an idea?
With kind regards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...