mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
I got my 360 in and I can load files off USB or the DVD Drive. Currently I have my PSP plugged into a USB port and a burned data DVD with some DIVX files.

When I try to play the MP4s off my PSP for the DIVX files it says a media update is required and to go on Xbox Live.

My console is modded, so what is a safe way I get a media update without bricking or getting banned?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure there is one, I think it works similar to XBL titles where it stores license info on the hard drive. If your console ain't banned I don't think you have too much to worry about.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
mpg187 said:
But won't it get banned if I connect, or is that only if I play a burnt game?

Nobody knows how bannings work as far as I know, there's plenty of people who play burned games on Live and never get banned. Same goes for DLC and XBL games. It's just a chance you've gotta take if you want DivX/XviD playback.

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the codec download acts like any downloadable content such as games. It is locked to your specific console. Therefore, the only way to get it is by connecting to live. Sounds like you're gonna have to bite the bullet. But if your 360 was modded correctly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
From http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
QUOTE said:
Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at http://free60.org/ will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.
If I install the media update, would it install that?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldnt worry about that
just a bunch of crap from them as usual

saying they would release a hack a few days after said update and yet almost 2 months later and absolute nothing

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
MS wouldn't put something in the update that makes the console inoperative

Also, I don't have Xbox Live and I don't wanna pay, is it free to get DLC if you don't play online?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mpg187 said:

Also, I don't have Xbox Live and I don't wanna pay, is it free to get DLC if you don't play online?
well there are ways but you need to inject them into your hard drive and its somewhat complicated

this is not true for all DLC though

for other DLC you can just wait until they become disc based like GTA Episodes from Liberty City (Lost and Dammed + Balled of Gay Tony), Fallout 3 GOTY (all 5 DLC + fallout 3), Oblivion GOTY (2 DLC + oblivion), etc...

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
What's not true?

So you sare saying I have to pay or hack?

I have never played a burnt game with this console, the eBay listing only mentions the lights and sh*t and "modded" but I messaged him and he said he played burnt games on it before.

Is there a possibility this isn't modded?

It plays an original of Halo 3 (My sister found that game and I didn't know until my brother said she had an Xbox game. I never really liked Halo, but I only played it for a few minutes one time, maybe now I'll give it a chance since I have it)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Interestingly enough, that's wrong. M$ have twice before (to my knowledge) released an update that potentially bricks 360s. I've heard there're a couple fixes if this happens (mainly involving a factory reset if red rings don't get in the way first) but the point is that M$ care more about fighting homebrew than the safety of their products. IIRC, I think around 20,000 consoles were bricked by these updates, although it may be much higher.

Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair. Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at http://free60.org/ will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.
If I install the media update, would it install that?
As for the Wiki extract you posted (and I repeated in the spoiler), I think that refers to the second such console-bricking update. Because of that update, it seems as if any 360 updated after August 11th will not be able to run homebrew (including the useful MoBo/DVD key extractor program to save people buying the connectivity kit for LiteOns). At least not until the next hack is released. I'm guessing M$ don't want to follow Ninty and Sony in how the Wii/DS/PSP turned out.

Oh, and incase you're worried (even though it's been said already), LIVE updates thus far have not affected drive flashed 360s at all, so even if you update to the latest versions, you'll still be able to play all the burnt games you like (providing you stealth/burn them properly - non-stealthed games get you banned fast). You just won't be able to use homebrew
biggrin.gif

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
So if it does brick it's on on purpose, it's negligence?

I don't wanna lost the ability to play homebrew.

Could I get the update off Xlink Kai or something?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not on purpose

rare error when installing the new firmware, corrupts the bootloader thus giving you a nice paperweight

that goes foe every single device on the market that you flash firmware too, phones, ps3, computer(bios), routers, etc...
like the latest update for the wii for ex.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing really, they are just trying to get your attention by claiming its a dangerous update (not really) just because it blocks homebrew

thats my take on it anyway, I havnt seen anyone bricked their xbox with the update yet when they announced this news on aug.11, alot of people posted in threads that they already updated etc... before they saw this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I just got 2 mig switch in the mail today
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father