Medal system idea?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disclaimer: this is just an idea for something fun for members on this site. I'm not making a complaint at all. So if you're going to read this post as a complaint, beat it, don't want to hear about it.

After reading a recent thread about medals, I had a little idea. Though I'm not even sure if it's possible to be honest with you, if it is, I think it could be kind of fun.

People always complain about posts and them not meaning anything, and with posts come medals.

What if we had more medals? Like, forum achievements sort of. Say, if you reach 100 posts, you get a certain medal. If you reach another certain number of posts, you get another medal. If you make a thread that gets stickied, thats a medal.

You know, sort of like achievements by having us members just do what we normally do. Though the only downside to this is we might get more spam and everything for people trying their hardest to get medals.

Or if you get to a number of medals, you get inducted into the GBAtemp hall of fame. (of course this would have to be invented).

I'm not sure if it's even possible, but having something like our own little achievements for the forums, I think would be fun for the whole community.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds fun, though I'm sure someone will think of a flaw and this idea will never come to exist.
happy.gif
I don't see the point in others complaining about post count.

(Click Block User, makes things a TON easier.) Aha.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am just going to repost his post since I was about to say the same thing
Slyakin said:
I support this idea, as long as there aren't TOO many medals. Then people will be really motivated to spam to "get them all!".

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
*snip*
Or if you get to a number of medals, you get inducted into the GBAtemp hall of fame. (of course this would have to be invented).
*snip*
I thought you got access to the shout box with 100 posts, and you will have an option to have a title at 500 posts. Not sure if I'm correct with the post numbers though.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
s4mid4re said:
I thought you got access to the shout box with 100 posts, and you will have an option to have a title at 500 posts. Not sure if I'm correct with the post numbers though.
You are correct

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I support this idea, as long as there aren't TOO many medals. Then people will be really motivated to spam to "get them all!".
the thing would be to give people medals for the quality in there posts, not the # of posts they have, i like the sticky idea, maybe a mod could mark all of our useful posts and those add up to a medal, or we implement a thanks feature and get medals for more thanks, also maybe a like button if someone posts something funny/interesting/awesome, for some sort of like medal

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
It's nice, but I doubt it will ever happen.
"Honor" stuff (like the "thanks", "like", etc) were asked already and the conclusion was that this would just work for attention beggars.
"GBATemp is place where you post because you want to, not because you want merit for it" was the prashe, or something like that.

BUT, the achievement idea is really nice. Like "Progidy son - post again after x days/months without posting) and stuff.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure none of the staff would want to be responsible for handing out achievements or marking helpful posts.
We get accused of favoritism enough as it is.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Vulpes Abnocto said:
I'm pretty sure none of the staff would want to be responsible for handing out achievements or marking helpful posts.
We get accused of favoritism enough as it is.

Then make a system. And as long as the requirements for the achievements are normal, everything will be alright. Like with the Sticky medal ShadowSoldier proposed. That´s quite hard to do, and you can´t cheat as long as it happens automatic.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Blogger?
EoF temper?
PSP, NDS, PC, Android, Iphone and such...
Reporter(making USN threads)
Trader/Seller for those who have good feedbacks.
Translator
Hacker
Welcome Committee(Catboy, FiReFoX_7,Chhotu uttam, and some...)
etc..etc...

Note: medals vary depending on the postcount. similar to current medals system.

wait... this sounds somewhat similar like a TV Temper??
unsure.gif

also, even though i like this idea, i think the temp still isn't big enough to add this. but i may be wrong... i don't go to all subforums.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
like some said this would introduce a problem-- people would try to increase the quantity of posts they make.
while on the other hand, we should reward people on the quality.

it's very difficult to come up with a system that is able to evaluate the quality of a message.
the only thing I can see is:
- the amount of words in a post, though then some people could stuff their message with random text
- rating from other users, but then people could create alt accounts to shamelessly rate their own posts

good discussion though.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Costello said:
- rating from other users, but then people could create alt accounts to shamelessly rate their own posts
Isn't creating dupe accounts already a bannable offense? Ban the first few (dozen) people to do that and the rest will stay put.

QUOTE(FireGrey @ Jun 8 2011, 10:07 AM) I think a like and dislike button should be added (like facebook and youtube)
People can click like on a post instead of replying to it say +1
+1

wink.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
I think a like and dislike button should be added (like facebook and youtube)
People can click like on a post instead of replying to it say +1

That would be bad.
I remember someone on cheats.gbatemp.net who managed to make a few enemies and word got around. Soon after, everyone was pressing the dislike button simply for the laughs and the bandwagon effect.

And the like button makes your e-peen grow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1