Meat made in the test tube

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by EzekielRage, Aug 5, 2013.

1. EzekielRage
    OP

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    So they now created the first test tube burger and it was a success. Any thoughts? I think it is a fantastic development.
    No more curelity to animals and less cows because we dont need them for food anymore means less methane which is good for the climate^^

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're forgetting about the whole "milking" business when it comes to cows, not to mention that "clone burgers" would have to be green lit by countries in which they were to be sold. ;)

3. EzekielRage
    OP

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    I am not forgetting that. This is a matter of vision for the future. If they can produce real meat in a test tube what makes you think they cant do teh same with milk, vegetables or eggs?

4. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    And what about leather? I've tried synthetic versions of my 'speciality' underpants but they're just not the same.

Rydian likes this.
  5. EzekielRage
    OP

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Haha XD of course there is always the need for the real thing but the need will go down to a point where it is a percentage of what we have now. furthermore think about places where its important like russia, china, india the entire african continent - do you think those people give a shit where their meal comes from as long as it is something to eat?
    we ar eprivileged and sure, it will take a while but it is a step in the right direction!

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well, the first one cost about $385,000, so it'll be a long, long, long time before we see this mass produced.

Still, I'd like to see this developed more. Such technology could hopefully cut down on our cattle herds (at least somewhat), which not only produce methane, but also drives deforestation (as more land needs to be cleared to contain the animals).

With the state of the environment right now, it's clear that the steaks have never been higher.

sevenstitch likes this.
  7. EzekielRage
    OP

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void

BWHAHAHAH XD

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005