Me and the Christians

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Jun 3, 2007.

Jun 3, 2007

Me and the Christians by mthrnite at 2:03 AM (6,788 Views / 0 Likes) 114 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Hello Tempers,
    Don't know if anybody missed me this past week, but I'm back now. I've been in Mississippi doing Hurricane Katrina disaster relief work with the North Carolina Baptist Men Association. It was a very interesting trip, and very rewarding. To make a long story short.. my next door neighbor, who has been a good friend through all my recent trials and tribulations, asked me to go with his church group to help frame up a house for a family who's entire house floated away during Hurricane Katrina two years ago. At first I thought he was joking.. he knows I'm an atheist, and that I might be a little... erm... out of place, eating, sleeping, working, and overall existing 24/7 with a bunch of Christians for a whole week. But he was serious, and he's been a good friend, so I accepted.

Well, it was pretty strange. We all met at his church and 9 of us piled into a church van at 5 am last Saturday morning, and off we went to Gulfport, Mississippi. I wasn't sure at first if anyone knew my non-believer status, but it became pretty clear that at least one of 'em did (no love lost between me and that one, but it got better with time.)

Anyway, we got down there and were to start work framing the house on Monday. In the meantime we went to New Orleans for a day. That was interesting too.. walking down Bourbon street with a church group while drunken tattoo'ed college students screamed "Show us your tits!" (lol), but they survived it, and I got a nice internal chuckle in the bargain.

On Monday, we started work. Now, I'm no carpenter, but I found out I can dig 4 foot deep post holes with reckless abandon, so that's what I did the first two days. I also helped framing some, and I put Tyvek house wrap on the walls, including the roof. Yes, I being afraid of heights, was working twenty feet up in the air on what I would consider dubiously unstable scaffolding, nailing wrap to a roof... and I've got the pictures to prove it! Well, I don't have the pictures right now, but I will soon, and I will share.

We worked very hard and got the entire house framed in three days, and spent the remainder building a porch and nicing things up.

Every night we had a devotional, and testimony and all that stuff, lots of praying and all. I was very respectful, and kept my mouth shut until the last night, at which time I gave my own testimony, came out as an atheist to anyone who might not have known, and basically let everybody know exactly who I was and why I was there. I was not surprised when they all accepted me and told me I was their friend. They are good people. You can tell good people by their works, and these folks worked real hard, and I alongside them, to help out a man and his son who had been through hell.

I just though I'd share a little, and let the doubters know that atheists and Christians can work side by side and be brothers and sisters despite the margins between them.

Gotta run.. I'll post up pictures when I get 'em.

2. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Wow, Kudos to you for helping out!
    It's great when people don't have to discriminate between each other.

Q~

3. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    one of the many reasons why I'm your #1 fan mthrnite [​IMG]
    karma can be so beautiful sometimes [​IMG]

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    What a great, great story.
    We shouldn't see Christians,Atheist,Muslims,Jews, etc. We should se people, good people or bad people [​IMG]
    Glad to hear you were with good people doing good things. [​IMG]

5. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    ..oh, and I came back all bronze and muscular too!

[​IMG]
    (actual bronzeness and musclularliness may vary)

6. lagman

Mexico
    And long blond hair, right?
    [​IMG]

I knew it!

7. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
  8. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    looks like he'd be the one getting hamm'rd

9. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]
    Separated at birth?

..seriously though, to Qpido & lag, if we humans could focus on similarities first, then differences, and not the other way around, the world would be a much happier place.

..and dice.. I love you too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I'm glad they were okay with you being an atheist. Many self-declared Christians don't act very much like one, especially on TV. It drives me nuts to see the girls on TV on Amazing Race go "What bitches, they suck, I hope they die. Oh well, God is on our side and will make us the winners of this race." Then viewers see that and make judgments based off of those people on TV and it drives me nuts to know I'm being represented to the world by people like those on TV.

11. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

United States
    You'd be surprised how unaffected we (Christians) are to Atheists. The Baptist Student Union at my school (which coincidentally also went to Gulfport for this year's Spring Break) has many self proclaimed Atheists in it. They don't participate in a few activities, namely Bible studies and whatnot, but you almost always see them hanging out with the rest of us.

This generation of Christians, at least those that I've associated with, seem to be much more tolerant (for lack of a better word) of Atheists. So long as we don't get the "you guys are retarded for believing in God" speech, we get along fine.

Good to hear you had a good time. [​IMG]

12. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Excellent that you were able to put aside your differences with the Christians in order to do something good for other people. And it sounds like you had a good time and made a lot of good friends.

13. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Besides the whole "getting along" thing (which is great), I remember walking down Bourbon street and a girl flashing us (which is awkward when you're 12 and with your mom)...is bourbon street "rebulit" then?

14. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Great to hear your back [​IMG] It sounds like a really worthwhile and tiring week. It's wonderful you could help out like you did, its something to really be proud of [​IMG]

Also good work bridging the gap between atheists and Christians. Sounds like it went well.

15. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    Wow, that sounds like a great experience.

Yeah...the past generation (no offense to anybody!) seems more strict. I'm an atheist, and I've heard from a parent "he doesn't believe in God, don't play with him." I don't know how parents could raise a child to hate someone for their lack-off/different faiths.

good news: we became friends anyway
    bad news: her parents got pissed when they found out (we weren't even going out or anything, just talking to eachother...)

16. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Top stuff Mthrnite! You are our our hero [​IMG]

Good to see such generosity from you and friendliness between faiths.

17. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Well, you know me.. I'm a uniter, not a divider. I was a Christian myself when I was younger, and I know how I was then. I always felt it was a mistake to proclaim to know the mind of God. I think a lot of Christians feel the same way, and I think it makes 'em better Christians, not to mention better humans. You'll always find the one who thinks they've got the Bible down pat, and can freely judge you based on their knowledge, and yes, we had one like that in our group.. but I think in the end even he came around somewhat. Still, it's scary to hear them talking about Muslims as extremists in general, and therefor ending up resembling that which they (incorrectly) speak of. Not all of them were like that, just the occasional big mouth, with a bunch of "nodders" (uh-huh, amen) by their side. Also it was a little disturbing how adamant they were about the world ending soon... but I guess I could be assessing from a small sample group on that note. Anyway, again, any collection will have it's themes, but in reality, all people are best assessed as individuals first, that's where the truth comes out.

..and phuzzz, it's good to hear what you're saying, and by no means do I think Christians are retarded for believing in God. I've felt the urge firsthand, and don't consider myself retarded for my former beliefs. I'm not shy about stating my beliefs, and I'm sure some think I'm retarded for considering "God" to be a singularity that is the simplest component from which everything is assembled...

.. uh.. well, maybe I'm a little retarded.. [​IMG]

18. lagman

Mexico
    Can we sing?
    I want to sing before I go to sleep [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We are the world....

19. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    nice job [​IMG] i have a tin of paint waiting to be used for my house are you up for some painting [​IMG] you would of course have to get a plane first [​IMG] [​IMG]

Serious note: Your really a great guy you seem like one of they guys that spend thier life helping others [​IMG] Well you do nice things for people and you get nice things back thats the way i see it [​IMG]

20. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    @lagman: Yes, we can sing...
    [​IMG]
    We are magic in the night
    We are shadow, we are light
    We are forever you and I
    We're stars
    We're stars

@thegame07: Yeah, sure, I'll paint your house. Be careful what you want in life, you may end up getting it.
    (I'm a crappy painter, but if you need any holes dug, I'm yer man.)

@everybody: Sorry if it sounds like I'm fishin' for compliments, I'm not...
    .. but you're welcome to say nice things about me all the same, lol.

Pictures tomorrow evening if all goes well.