Maziacs v1.0

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Dec 30, 2010.

Dec 30, 2010

Maziacs v1.0 by Another World at 7:02 AM (2,146 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] Maziacs v1.0
    NEW NDS Homebrew
    [​IMG]

Alekmaul has released Maziacs in time for the Nintendomax dev compo. The user must swing swords, kill monsters, and find the treasure in this Zx Spectrum remake.

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Whoa - I remember playing this on the Spectrum when it first came out
    Might just give it a try

3. ferret7463

Member ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's a pretty fun game have playing it for about an hour on my DS2. It kinda reminds me of night stalker. [​IMG]

4. alekmaul

Member alekmaul GBAtemp Regular

France
    nice to see that you like it [​IMG]

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    It might have been some freak bug (I've only been able to have it happen once), but somehow after getting caught by a maziac and then defeating it, I was unable to move (and thus I lost TT-TT), though I think it might have been because a second maziac also went on top of me while I was battling...and apparently one of them continued on past (the other I defeated of course).

Apart from that, the game is awesome xD.

6. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    alek,
    this game is really fun. i wish there was an option to turn off the bottom map, it makes the game easier.

-another world

7. alekmaul

France
    Yeah, why not, i will try to find the curious bug from jurassicplayer and change hard mode with no map anymore.

I though also about better graphics but i'm not a professionnal, if someone can help me, just mail me

8. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Actually I quite like the map being there on 'Easy' and 'Hard' but here's some suggestions

1) Add an 'Extreme' mode: similar to 'hard' but without the map

2) How about adding 'Options' to the front menu which only appear once you've completed 'Extreme'
    'Options' include things like
    * With/Without Map: pretty obvious what this does
    * Half/None Swords: 'Half' means there's even LESS swords avaliable, 'None' means you only have the sword you start with (meaning you have to avoid rather than fight)
    * Double/Half Health: 'Double' the usual Health pickups avalible or 'Half' the usual pickups
    * Double/Half Prisoners: Same as for Health, you either have twice as many prisoners to guide you or only Half the usual amount
    * Original/Better graphics; give you a choice between the original type graphics (for us Retro-Heads) or 'new improved graphics' (if you decide to use them instead)

3) High score table: not sure how to score, perhaps any or all of these ?? :-
    * Number of steps to treasure (& back) Minus the Number of steps you actually take
    * Health left
    * Maziacs Killed
    * Time taken

As for graphics I quite like the original ones, I'm no graphics designer (I usually 'modify' other people works) but IIRC there was 'free gaming graphics' avalible on the net somewhere (while typing I googled & found this & this) which I guess you could use or perhaps ask some1 to modify to fit your specifications (I might even give it a try )

EDIT: Well I had some free time so I thought I'll try a mockup of what the screen MIGHT look like using bog-standard 'wall'/'path' graphics that I'd found on different sites
    Personnally I don't think it looks as good with graphics

Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. alekmaul

France
    Thanks a lot for your reply CannonFoddr, I will add this new mode soon. It's a good idea.
    About graphics, well, i think i will add an option to have original or new graphics, it will be better. Will try to search google to find graphics too.
    About high score table, you already have score and i have number of steps between start and "return with treasure". I don't know exactly how the original game computes the score, the formula is quite strange (i saw a video on youtube). I will try to think about this ....

10. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    FYI in my mockup - those graphics I used were originally larger in size which all I did was resized down to 24x24 & copy/pasted over the original screenshot (with a little 'tweaking' here-&-there).

I got those graphics from a set I found on one of those links I gave in earlier post (it was from the '2D Zelda-like RPG' ). That's why the main characters weren't done - there wasn't any I could modified [​IMG]