Maybe this is old news...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by HyoImowano, Mar 16, 2008.

Mar 16, 2008

Maybe this is old news... by HyoImowano at 4:39 PM (1,702 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. HyoImowano
    OP

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Virtual Console?

Nintendo's Anti-Piracy Website

2. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    How selfish

3. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    after 10 years any media (music, softare, games, movies) should become public domain. the author/creator/estate should only collect royalties for 10 years.

charging $5 for 20 year old games is crazy to me

4. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Wow actually that is new.

Nintendo previously called all roms and emulators outright illegal, and even ignorantly left it up there when they had their own roms and emulators out there (animal crossing, etc.)

Their new terms actually are very interesting as it leaves a door open that was before closed on their write up. Notice it says downloading a game you already own is illegal. That in itself is true, as American law says you can't do it. BUT...notice they only address the 24 hour fake rule, and the other lies people use, YET...they now have completely removed the emulators are illegal, roms are illegal, and that you can NOT have a backup copy. While obviously not saying it to give people ideas, they indirectly yet clearly to the informed said if you can make a copy you can have a copy due to american backup copy laws.

That's actually kind of cool.

5. HyoImowano
    OP

United States
    Mind you, this isn't their entire Piracy Policy Page.

6. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    What's going on, have Virtual Console ROM sales declined?

7. HyoImowano
    OP

United States
    No, I was just pointing out how hypocritical Nintendo is by talking about how ROMs and emulation do nothing but hurt game companies and they're evil and they'll kill us all...and yet Nintendo uses emulation and ROMs to make the Virtual Console work.

8. Norman3000

Member Norman3000 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    So when you play with your dstt, r4 etc. you use roms right? does that make you a criminal?

9. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Well, if you say it like that then ofcourse it sounds bad!!!!

Though I really love homebrew and I have plenty of GBA and DS games lying around for the time being.

10. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    There is the law, and then there is reality.

The law says a lot of things, but the reality is the internet is not going anywhere. Nintendo can insist that the law be followed, but they can't ignore reality.

Another truth, every country has it's own laws. So when speaking about the legality of something, not identifying your country makes listening to the comment almost pointless.

I'm Canadian, and US law means nothing to me. Why should it? I'm not American, and this isn't America. It isn't Japan either.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of international commerce.

If I want a back up copy of my game, my choices are either buy the hardware, do it myself, or download it. Hmm such a hard choice. Nintendo can tell me anything they want, I'll stick with Canadian law thank you. If they don't like Canadian law, well I guess they can always refuse to sell Nintendo goods in Canada. But hmm how does that stop me from getting their games?

There is only one way to beat piracy, beat them at their own game. Do it better than they can. Not easy I realize.
    Sucks to want to be a business. And that too is reality.

11. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If I wasn't aware of piracy devices, I would have learned a lot from this site; they talk about modchips and R4, what they do, etc...

After seeing that site, someone can do a quick google search about "R4", "wiikey" or anything else presented on their "anti-piracy" site, order one of those "infringing devices", and they are good to go! [​IMG]

12. Mrbob2

Newcomer Mrbob2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have recently got a ds for the simple reason that i can play on my ttds card downloaded roms. If it wasnt for the ability to use a flashcart i wouldnt have bought a ds.

I bought 2 nintendo ds`s, 1 for me at £99 and one for my girlfriend £99

Thats nearly £200 nintendo WOULD NEVER HAVE GOT FROM ME.

So in my case they have piracy to thank.

In a way its debatable but paying £20 for a copy of The sun crossword challenge, a game that is 8mb in size and is basic at best is simply ripping off the consumer.

At the end of the day, people can discuss the pros and cons of piracy but you cant argue with free games............

13. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    I bought a DS ONLY AFTER I had ordered an EZ4 flashcart online. If I didn't know I could play Nintendo DS roms with a flashcart I wouldn't have bought the system...and my knowledge of the DS and modchips actually caused no less than 5 of my friends to purchase DS lites as well. And some of them bought real games eventually...

I want to say I buy every game I play to the finish but that is a lie.
    I will say that I'm glad I don't have to buy every game I am interested in only to find out that they aren't worth it...