Maybe something to look into?

killeryunran

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I've seen a lot and a lot of post's just to say 'thank you' to someone for their help and such.
Or people who spam a topic with 'Thank you for the translation' and such.
Maybe the sitemods could make a special button under a post.

Which if clicked by people, their name would come under the post with:

These players have thanked ... for the post:
killeryunran, blalalla, yoshikiller, Mario64, ...

Or something like that. In which you can have a post and beneath it a list of people who thanked that person. That way
topic's won't be spammed with 'thank you' post's.

Well, at least that's my opinion.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about that system in particular, but I do agree that a lot of topics are filled up with needless thank you comments, and the like. I shall attempt to think up a solution that allows them to give thanks, without necessarily posting 18 pages of thank you replies.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
the site dreamincode.net has a thank you system. a user can click on a thank you button underneath each post, and then in the user status (under the avatar) it says Thanked xxx times.

It might be a good way to see if someones a helpful person or not, though it won't say in WHICH thread he was helpful...

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hatsu said:
I would say this is a well-needed attempt to stop spamming their post-count higher with "thank you", ect.

So you would rather people don't even thank patch makers, translators, etc and just ask for technical help? maybe they actually want to say thank you for all the hard work someone has put in instead of some fiendish plot to get more posts. I do agree people asking the same question (e.g how can I get spirit tracks to work on my R4) can be annoying but surely we should encourage saying thank you instead of condemning them for "wasting" a post

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Supersonicmonk said:
Hatsu said:
I would say this is a well-needed attempt to stop spamming their post-count higher with "thank you", ect.

So you would rather people don't even thank patch makers, translators, etc and just ask for technical help? maybe they actually want to say thank you for all the hard work someone has put in instead of some fiendish plot to get more posts. I do agree people asking the same question (e.g how can I get spirit tracks to work on my R4) can be annoying but surely we should encourage saying thank you instead of condemning them for "wasting" a post

But, most people, when they say "thank you!", there is no more to their post.

I think there should be more to their post that just "thank you".

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Supersonicmonk said:
Hatsu said:

The idea is to stop topics from being taken up by posts that don't contribute to the discussion. Thank you is nice, but if you've heard it from one person, hearing it from seven more is generally unnecessary. We already have a rule in place here at GBAtemp that works against such posts that don't contribute, but we also wouldn't want to take away the members ability to say a kind word or two.

What is being suggested in this topic is a happy medium of sorts. The topics don't become cluttered with a variety of posts that all say the same basic thing, leaving them easier to read/navigate, and for valuable post space to be used for replies that can move the topic forward. It's actually a rather noble endeavor. The translation patch poster (or what have you) potentially receives their kudos, and the topic is freed of clutter.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace, I have a site I frequent which implements them quite well if you are looking for ideas. Check out the PALGN forums. With that said though, when 100+ people say thanks, it could get a little messy and it also requires 25 posts to activate the option.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
at the top of every thread in the trading forum there is the trading rules box the same kind of thing could be implemented into every thread and by this I mean you have a button for saying thanks you click the button and your name goes into the box, but this could become an issue with taking up ALOT of space if alot of people say thank you so you could put in in some form of a spoiler tag. having a button that says thanks and then adds "1 thanks" to a thanks counter(basically the same as a post counter) wouldn't work because then it would become more of a competition of who has the most thanks with people going around spamming thanks button in every thread.

on another note some form of a thanks button would be brilliant and hopefully reduce ALOT of strain on the server when the scene gets rather busy (spirit tracks anyone? there where over 800 people in that thread at one point less than 1/4 members) so this would reduce alot of the crap posts in the scene release threads.

EDIT: about edgedancers post:

people needing 25 posts before they say thanks "could" work but it also couldn't poeple could just go spam thanks in 25 threads then come back to click the button (not likely but SOME people are sad enough to do it)

killeryunran

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think such a spolier thing would work if it were names that were displayed.
But a 'thank you' counter would probably work the same. Although, at that moment.
People could really spam the 'thank you' counter...
Maybe the mods could then make something that a account can only press the thank you button once.
And that you can only thank someone every 5 or 10 hours or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr