Maybe some good news for a flash player on DS

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by ak_, May 5, 2008.

May 5, 2008
  1. ak_
    OP

Newcomer ak_ Member

France
    Adobe launched the Open Screen Project to widen the presence of Flash on portable devices. It may be good news for a possible (homebrew) flash player on the DS.

Open screen project official website.

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    We'll see. I really don't Know if the DS is powerful enough

3. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I have so many good flashes that working flash player with ability to play movies and games on ds would be heaven on earth for me [​IMG] (ok maybe I'm little overreacting [​IMG] ). But seriously I doubt in this project, my brother have a spv something phone and have installed flash player for windows mobile, and that flash player don't want to play every flash, only a couple of them , so what could be with ds that have weaker insides than some new smartphone.

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Simply put, the Nintendo DS doesn't have the hardware to cope with 95% of the flasg movies/games out there. Not to many mobiles devices to. The Nintendo DS only has 4 megs of ram, which is far from being enough to handle a flash file. If anything was made for the NDS, it would only be capable of playing simple, small flash files and thats about it. Even if a RAM expansion pack was supported, the ARM processors in the NDS aren't powerful enough to run full features flash games or movies.

So this will unlikely ever to happen. What would be possible though is port over J2ME (Java 2 Mobile Edition) to the NDS and have them run the apps at full speed. Now only if the NDS ould run the J2ME app alled Opera Mobile, the new beta is quite amaing. Its faster then the Opera Browser made for the DS and supports downloads.

5. ak_
    OP

Newcomer ak_ Member

France
    Thanks for the info Narin. I'm not very aware of this technical stuff so i was expecting posts like yours. Well, too bad for FLashDS, but this J2ME thing sounds great, let's hope it'll come true someday.