Maybe a Suggestion

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since the site seems to be getting inundated with spam again, maybe have it to where staff has to approve say 5-10 messages from the user before they can actually post on their own, then remove the limitation on posting links and whatnot if the post is approved?
Very bad idea hated that on other sites always took at most 2 fuking days

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's the only way I know of to eliminate them. there is a way to ban temp email addresses if that's what they use, but it would require knowing all temp email addresses that exist, and I think there are a lot of them, like sharklaser iirc. the only other alternative is to hire more mods, ones that might be awake at certain hours. it seems the vast majority of users are in the Americas considering how quiet it gets at night, though some might be in western Europe, where it could be night in both locations depending.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
it's annoying, but it's like a second to clear the spam out of existence. Even if some might be visible for a short period of time, it's usually taken off in a reasonable amount of time.
Obviously, timezone and real life might influence the outcome, but usually it's rarely missed for longer than a few hours in the worst case.
Just to give a perspective, I literally just nuked a spam that popped up a moment ago simply because I loaded the recent contents page at the right time to spot it within seconds.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's annoying, but it's like a second to clear the spam out of existence. Even if some might be visible for a short period of time, it's usually taken off in a reasonable amount of time.
Obviously, timezone and real life might influence the outcome, but usually it's rarely missed for longer than a few hours in the worst case.
Just to give a perspective, I literally just nuked a spam that popped up a moment ago simply because I loaded the recent contents page at the right time to spot it within seconds.
I think the biggest problem might be that the home page with most recent posts isn't refreshed quickly enough, so I may have thought it was a worse problem than it really is.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think the biggest problem might be that the home page with most recent posts isn't refreshed quickly enough, so I may have thought it was a worse problem than it really is.
Oh well I can actually see where you are going with this.
The contents was indeed destroyed, but the thread's mention still remains visible.
At least, trying to open it will return an error page if it was already taken care of.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not mods. If I were a Mod, with things to do, the last thing I'd think of is to approve 5 posts from users (probably, the TEMP has 10 new users registered each day... I assume)
Imagine how much time that work would take for 1 Mod. Besides, new users, registering to the forum would probably loose their interest in the site altogether just because they're waiting to be approved.

The idea is not bad, but the execution could be improved if you guys forced @tempBOT, @TaeWong to do the job for you. I mean... they're bots... why not use them?

How about making a bot called @AutoMod to make the dirty job?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The spam filter is already a hurdle for real users seeking help (cannot post links and/or pictures). Most of the time the filter does a pretty good job. Maybe add "Service Phone Number" and similar to phrases that must not be used by new accounts (lately a lot of probably scam phone numbers).

Moderator review would get rid of all spam – at the cost of time delay for users and massive work for the staff (free volunteers and not paid employees).

I don't think there is an ultimate solution to the problem solving all of these:
  • Near 100% spam prevention
  • Prevent too much manual work for moderators
  • Not constricting actual new users

I think the best we can do is report all garbage and have it removed as soon as mods see it.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for me, I do not mind the "spiced ham".............. Just kidding!

Spam_2.jpg

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but what is meant by "spam"? I always thought it was the unwanted and intrusive third party advertising....What does it have to do with user messages and limiting them? 🤔

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for me, I do not mind the "spiced ham".............. Just kidding!

View attachment 316185

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but what is meant by "spam"? I always thought it was the unwanted and intrusive third party advertising....What does it have to do with user messages and limiting them? 🤔
Because someone has been posting using various new accounts numerous scam adverts for airline's for a number of days now. Every morning I wake up and there is about 10 new posts by this person.

D

Deleted member 575334

Because someone has been posting using various new accounts numerous scam adverts for airline's for a number of days now. Every morning I wake up and there is about 10 new posts by this person.
Can confirm. Yesterday it was the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse