Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I intend to order 8GB of Dual Channel ram from newegg to max out my machine. Ok, so bite my head off, I'm a greedy person/fur.

I'm a little torn on which brand to get, I dont know if I should get Corsair or Patriot. I've heard great things about both, but I really would like a second oppinion on the matter.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I run Corsair on next to every PC at home. Shit flies faster than anything else. Never used Patriot, though, so don't take my word on it.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corsair is a great staple ram...can't go wrong with it. I've actually had great results with Kingston memory after replacing failing Mushkin chips.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't anything over 4 gigs overkill at this point?
In a way, yes. But if you've got the money to spend, why not?
RAM is cheap anyway, I got dual channel 4GB (Per slot) and it only cost me $70 AUD so 8GB total and currently the max ever used that I've noticed was 44% Although alot tends to get page filed for some reason... Even though there is enough RAM available [/threadjack]
Anyway, Corsair RAM is brilliant, haven't had a problem since I got my system up and running.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I have 2 x 4GB DDR3 Kingston Value RAM and it's stable as hell on my notebook. (8GB)

I barely use more than 4 or 5 GB of ram during a full-day of work but having paging disabled is priceless. Everything's smooth

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Crucial/Corsair. Kingston has failed on me twice in the past, but Corsair never have so that's what I use in every PC I build. Crucial are a good brand too and keep getting recommended for their performance, not that it means anything at stock speeds.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Note the following:

A) The only performance gains you will see past 4GB are from disabling the page file.
B) If your board is dual or quad channel, having 4GB in before would have been faster than 6GB.
C) If your board is tri-channel (I doubt it since you say that 8GB is the max RAM) then 6GB would be faster than 8GB.
D) You should match the RAM with your existing RAM, if possible, and if not try to match speeds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1