Hacking Max size sd card to use in wii u and suggestions for best?

thegameksk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking to purchase a new microsd card for my wii U. I want to get the max card that will fit into it. What size should I look for and which one is best? Thanks

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, prices do climb up sharply at a certain level. Two 64GB cards will usually be cheaper than one 128GB card. And I guess it only gets worse from there. But of course, less practical to use 2 cards than just one. Another factor to consider is, if the card goes bad, or if you lose it, if it was one of two cards, you still have the other one. But if you were only using one card, then tough luck!

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently using a microsd with an adapter in my wii u with no issues.
I have read that a micro sd with an adapter speed is lower than a normal sd, specialy to use with loadiine. Im not even sure about that because im on 5.5, but i always go for a normal sd for everything. Just saying bro, you are who knows what fits you better :)

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
Reactions: SigmaSebas

thegameksk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read that a micro sd with an adapter speed is lower than a normal sd, specialy to use with loadiine. Im not even sure about that because im on 5.5, bit i always go for a normal sd for everything. Just saying bro, you are who knows what fits you better :)

I wasnt trying to be rude and I apologize if I came off that way. Just didnt know if there was a difference between using a microsd with adapter vs regular sd.

Reactions: Litle_Bird

Azeryn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking to purchase a new microsd card for my wii U. I want to get the max card that will fit into it. What size should I look for and which one is best? Thanks

Max size? I don't know if there is one. People have successfully used 256gb ones.

I'd would just get a 64GB card. If you want more space, but a 2nd imo. Price gets too high quickly buy 1 high capacity card.

Last edited by Azeryn,

Net-KILLER

computer says no
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I have read that a micro sd with an adapter speed is lower than a normal sd, specialy to use with loadiine. Im not even sure about that because im on 5.5, but i always go for a normal sd for everything. Just saying bro, you are who knows what fits you better :)
Hard to believe.
Do you mean SD adapters in general or just when used in WiiU?
I'll run some benchmarks later.
First time hearing that

Reactions: CableLeecher

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have read that a micro sd with an adapter speed is lower than a normal sd
Hard to believe.
Do you mean SD adapters in general or just when used in WiiU?
I'll run some benchmarks later.
First time hearing that
Looking forward to see your benchmarks results. I find that hard to believe too. An adapter is just that, an adapter! Nothing complicated, just adapting sizes. I don't see how it could slow down the card. The only problem that could arise would be contact issues. But then, the card wouldn't work at all, not just be slow.

link270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually a microsd in an adapter will run a little slower than a normal sd card. Obviously it's going to depend on the read/write speeds of the cards themselves as well as the adapter. In the case of the Wii u, I doubt it would make a big difference either way really. I would just say to get whichever you can find a better deal on!

From my understanding you can do up to a 256gb card, or at least that's what's been tested. I'm sure you could use a 512, as they're both sdxc cards, but those run up words of $200 where a 256 you could find for less than half that, usually around $80 from a quick search.

Also, I don't remember exact numbers, but I remember seeing that the Wii u card slot could only read like up to 25 or 30 Mbps so there's not much point in getting a super high end card if it's going to be for your Wii u exclusively. I was looking into a much higher end card, but after doing that research I decided to go with a normal class 10 64gb card, and it works great! Plus it saved me at least $20 than going with a better one.

Last edited by link270,

CableLeecher

640K ought to be enough for anyone
Trophies
EARTH | SOL-SYSTEM | SECTOR 001 | ALPHA QUADRANT
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Total nonsense... It doesn't matter if it's a microsd or a regular one. The adapter is totally passive, just a few wires that adjust to the regular sd formfactor. There is no logic board with any chip etc. inside. See picture below.
I'm using several SanDisk microsd's with up to 95mb/sec. And a regular Extreme Pro with 512GB.
As long as it's formatted to FAT32 with 64k clusters you shouldn't have any issues.

And again, an adapter doesn't have any influence on loading times.

Please don't spead any false information or rumours and confuse newbies if you don't have the technical expertise how a sd-adapter works...

Cheers,
CableLeecher

Inside_microSD_Adapter_Pieces.jpg

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible for a micro card to run slow if the adapter allows connection in SPI mode but not SDIO, but that's an adapter fault, not a problem inherent with micro cards.

Reactions: CableLeecher

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible for a micro card to run slow if the adapter allows connection in SPI mode but not SDIO, but that's an adapter fault, not a problem inherent with micro cards.
That must be what was going on to make me think it was slower. I swear to god the adapters that came with the microSDs I've ordered were atleast slightly slower then when I used the card in a device with a microSD slot.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
That must be what was going on to make me think it was slower. I swear to god the adapters that came with the microSDs I've ordered were atleast slightly slower then when I used the card in a device with a microSD slot.

If you are seeing "slightly" slower that is probably not the cause, a faulty adapter could be 1/32 the speed.

SPI mode is a 1-bit serial stream, max clock 25MHz. SD/MMC mode is 4-bit, max clock 208Mhz.
(That's for plain old SD. UHS-1 cards use both edges of the clock. UHS-2 cards add more data pins.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: