Max size sd card to use in wii u and suggestions for best?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by thegameksk, Mar 8, 2016.

1. thegameksk
    OP

thegameksk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I am looking to purchase a new microsd card for my wii U. I want to get the max card that will fit into it. What size should I look for and which one is best? Thanks

2. thegameksk
    OP

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Id prefer to use a external hd but as far as I know loadiine/vwii wont work on external hds

3. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    Dont get a micro sd. Get a normal 64gb sd or a even bigger one. Just, no micro sd for your wii u.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  4. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Yep, prices do climb up sharply at a certain level. Two 64GB cards will usually be cheaper than one 128GB card. And I guess it only gets worse from there. But of course, less practical to use 2 cards than just one. Another factor to consider is, if the card goes bad, or if you lose it, if it was one of two cards, you still have the other one. But if you were only using one card, then tough luck!

5. thegameksk
    OP

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I am currently using a microsd with an adapter in my wii u with no issues.

Tony_93, TotalInsanity4 and LuigiXL like this.
  6. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Can I ask why no micro SD? Mine seems to work fine.

7. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    I have read that a micro sd with an adapter speed is lower than a normal sd, specialy to use with loadiine. Im not even sure about that because im on 5.5, but i always go for a normal sd for everything. Just saying bro, you are who knows what fits you better :)

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 8, 2016
    SigmaSebas likes this.
  8. thegameksk
    OP

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I wasnt trying to be rude and I apologize if I came off that way. Just didnt know if there was a difference between using a microsd with adapter vs regular sd.

Litle_Bird likes this.
  9. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    haha, dont worry. Wait for more answers and see what happens.

10. Azeryn

Azeryn GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    United States
    Max size? I don't know if there is one. People have successfully used 256gb ones.

I'd would just get a 64GB card. If you want more space, but a 2nd imo. Price gets too high quickly buy 1 high capacity card.

Last edited by Azeryn, Mar 8, 2016
    CallieMarie likes this.
  11. AmyGrrl

AmyGrrl Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2008
    Canada
    I'm using a PNY 256GB SDXC Card with my Wii U. Just be sure to format it to be a FAT32 Primary Partition using 64k clusters or higher.

Last edited by AmyGrrl, Mar 8, 2016
    CallieMarie likes this.
  12. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Hard to believe.
    Do you mean SD adapters in general or just when used in WiiU?
    I'll run some benchmarks later.
    First time hearing that

CableLeecher likes this.
  13. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Looking forward to see your benchmarks results. I find that hard to believe too. An adapter is just that, an adapter! Nothing complicated, just adapting sizes. I don't see how it could slow down the card. The only problem that could arise would be contact issues. But then, the card wouldn't work at all, not just be slow.

14. link270

link270 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Usually a microsd in an adapter will run a little slower than a normal sd card. Obviously it's going to depend on the read/write speeds of the cards themselves as well as the adapter. In the case of the Wii u, I doubt it would make a big difference either way really. I would just say to get whichever you can find a better deal on!

From my understanding you can do up to a 256gb card, or at least that's what's been tested. I'm sure you could use a 512, as they're both sdxc cards, but those run up words of $200 where a 256 you could find for less than half that, usually around $80 from a quick search.

Also, I don't remember exact numbers, but I remember seeing that the Wii u card slot could only read like up to 25 or 30 Mbps so there's not much point in getting a super high end card if it's going to be for your Wii u exclusively. I was looking into a much higher end card, but after doing that research I decided to go with a normal class 10 64gb card, and it works great! Plus it saved me at least $20 than going with a better one.

Last edited by link270, Mar 8, 2016
  15. ajd4096

ajd4096 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2009
    Adapters are purely passive devices, they are just a bunch of wires.

If you have a slow micro SD, it is a slow chip, nothing to do with the package size.

16. CableLeecher

CableLeecher 640K ought to be enough for anyone

Feb 15, 2016
    Gambia, The
    EARTH | SOL-SYSTEM | SECTOR 001 | ALPHA QUADRANT
    Total nonsense... It doesn't matter if it's a microsd or a regular one. The adapter is totally passive, just a few wires that adjust to the regular sd formfactor. There is no logic board with any chip etc. inside. See picture below.
    I'm using several SanDisk microsd's with up to 95mb/sec. And a regular Extreme Pro with 512GB.
    As long as it's formatted to FAT32 with 64k clusters you shouldn't have any issues.

And again, an adapter doesn't have any influence on loading times.

Please don't spead any false information or rumours and confuse newbies if you don't have the technical expertise how a sd-adapter works...

Cheers,
    CableLeecher

[​IMG]

17. ajd4096

ajd4096 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2009
    It is possible for a micro card to run slow if the adapter allows connection in SPI mode but not SDIO, but that's an adapter fault, not a problem inherent with micro cards.

CableLeecher likes this.
  18. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    That must be what was going on to make me think it was slower. I swear to god the adapters that came with the microSDs I've ordered were atleast slightly slower then when I used the card in a device with a microSD slot.

19. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    Also run everything perfectly from MicroSD adaptor. (128GB Sandisk)

20. ajd4096

ajd4096 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2009
    If you are seeing "slightly" slower that is probably not the cause, a faulty adapter could be 1/32 the speed.

SPI mode is a 1-bit serial stream, max clock 25MHz. SD/MMC mode is 4-bit, max clock 208Mhz.
    (That's for plain old SD. UHS-1 cards use both edges of the clock. UHS-2 cards add more data pins.)