Max size of SD cards in VWii ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Aglae Pheryl, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Hi,

I am currently using a 2GB SD card on the Vwii. It's a bit limited to store ds_launcher boxart and stuff. I tried to copy everything onto a 4 GB SDHC card but I could not get it working.

How big can the card be ? Does it have to be 2GB at most ? If not does it have to 'not be' SDHC ?
    Finally if this is what I beleive (no SDHC), where can we buy larger non sdhc SD cards ?

Cheers,

2. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    wii and vwii are sdhc and sdxc compatible, a 4gb card is no problem, but most homebrew dont support ntfs format, maybe that's your issue here?

3. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Right..........make sure to use fat32 and PPL have reported using 64gb and 128gb cards but they must be fat32 formatted or Wii/vWii won't detect them.

4. OfficerJeffrey

OfficerJeffrey GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2012
    United States
    Oh shit I thought it couldn't go past 32 gb! :blink:

5. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    just because windows tells you, that it won`t do it, doesn`t mean, that you can`t do it
    you can just use other format tools than the native windows tool or you can do it via command lines, there is no such a thing as a 32gb limit to fat32
    fat32 is merely limited to 4gb file sizes, 2^28 files in total and a total storage size of roughly 8.8 terabytes (8 tebibytes to be exact)

(edit: Im not saying, the wiiu would support such a size, this is just the technical limitation of the fat32 format, I doubt something like an 8 TB sd card even exists or if it does, it is not purchasable for the average joe)

OfficerJeffrey likes this.
  6. OfficerJeffrey

OfficerJeffrey GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2012
    United States
    I think I understand, very informative for sure! :yayu:

7. Quicksilver88

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Just google fat32format and I believe the first link will take you to a page that has a gui and cli fat32 formatting tools. I use the CLI myself all the time to format external USB HDs for use on things like the Wii or PS3. Just format that large SD card up with fat32 and it will work just fine in the Wii/vWii

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    64 and 128 GB SD cards would be very nice but a little insane lol. They even have 256 GB SD cards out, but they are not cheap. Is there any reason why Windows freaks out when it sees such large cards?

9. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada

It doesn't freak out and it is intentional. Microsoft wishes users switch over to exfat over the older fat32. Exfat serves to address the main issues with fat32 for the average user.

10. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Any size SD card will work so long as you format it to fat32, this means that even SDXC cards will work too.

11. Quicksilver88

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Yeah I have a 32gb in my WiiU and that has about everything I could want including about 15 GC games for use with devolution. I would think 64gb is about all you could use on Wii even if you had lots of GC and about every VC and WiiWare game you could want.