max size for a wbfs partition?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by icebrg5, Jun 9, 2009.

Jun 9, 2009

max size for a wbfs partition? by icebrg5 at 5:16 PM (7,938 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. icebrg5
    OP

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I just got a maxtor external 1TB.

Now i remember when the loader first came out there was a limit of 512GB i believe.

Is this still the case?

and before anyone asks YES the drive im compatiable with usb loader with no issues of spindown or anything.

2. acesniper

Member acesniper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think the limit was 1TB or 500MB.

3. bluescreen81

Member bluescreen81 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    hey guys ... who needs more than 512 GB on a WBFS Drive ? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. icebrg5
    OP

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I do.

Well not really but i wont be using the drive for anything else so i might as well use the whole thing for wbfs.

I just formmated the whole drive to wbfs and the wii sees the whole thing just fine and it rips games to the drive just fine.So hopefully theres no issues.

Was the original 512gb limit the max you could use? or the max the wii could see with the original 1.1 loader?

Im wondering if there will be problems once its filled up past 512gb.
    Not like thats ever gonna happen though.

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Older loaders could not rip games to partitions larger than 512G, but could still read the games (which are put on with a wbfs manager) on them . The new ones should be able to write to these partitions too.

6. bunk

Newcomer bunk Member

Canada
    The maximum is 500 games per partition, not the partition size. 500 games (i.e, all game titles A-S) equals about 802GB. The next 92 titles (titles T-Z) total about 153GB, but you can't put them on the same drive, even though it would almost all fit on a 1TB drive.

7. 1carlos

Newcomer 1carlos Member

United States
    Yes the limit is still 512gb per partition but some people have said they have been using 1tb drives with no problems and I think the loaders will not read any games past 512gb I'm not sure though, what you could do is make two wbfs partitions.

8. dexter222

Member dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can actually format a 1.36TB (dedicating a 1.5tb drive) partition, however, I discovered that regardless of partition size there is a 500 file/game limit on a WBFS partition.

The average size for a game on the WBFS partition is between 1.7 to 1.8gigs - I ran up against the 500 game limit per partition right away. The first partition should be 850 to 900gigs - then you can use the rest on the second partition.

The only USB loader that will see multiple WBFS partitions is uloader.