Matt Bronze Slim PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by ElChupaNibre, Aug 8, 2008.

Aug 8, 2008

Matt Bronze Slim PSP by ElChupaNibre at 9:50 PM (1,741 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. ElChupaNibre
    OP

Newcomer ElChupaNibre Member

United Kingdom
    So... slim PSP. I've had my fat one for nearly three years now, great machine, but it's always been a tad too big and heavy for my liking. I like the idea of a smaller, sleeker, lighter machine that will make playing games a bit more comfortable.

After mulling over the different colours available, I'm thinking of going for the Matt Bronze version:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/sony-announces.html

Not the most flattering pic, and not many people seem to like it, but I've seen some youtube vids and I think it looks quite good. My main reason for wanting this edition though is the matt finish all-over, front and back - unlike the other PSP Slim colurs which have a slightly cheap-looking (imo) glossy finish, on both front and back.

Anyone else happen to have this colour, and what do you think?

Also - I know the PSP Slim has a few cons (poorer build quality, cheaper finish etc.) but how big exactly are these cons? I'm thinking the pros (smaller, lighter, faster loading games, better buttons) will outweigh them. Not sure if the analogue nub has been improved, but that would be another big bonus...

2. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I associate metallic colors with car paints most of the time. When I paint plastic models I use gloss clear coat over metallic paints, and matt on other regular colors.

Personally, some colors like bronze and steel don't look good with gloss, I guess because steel is rather coarse and doesn't shine much, and I've never seen an unoxidized piece of bronze that is not an artwork. I paint those in semi-gloss and looks more metal-ish than gloss or matt.

As for matt bronze (or matt metallic brown according to the article, is metallic brown even an official color?) slim PSP, doesn't really look like bronze, and personally would have preferred semi-gloss bronze. As mentioned in the article, you should be willing to withstand people saying your PSP is mierda colored.

But bottom line, doesn't look like cheap plastic, except the buttons. (I think the same goes to DS, its matt inside looks good except cheap looking buttons) Still, limited edition and if the extra money isn't a barrier, go for it.

3. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's the exact same colour as the LE Monster Hunter PSP that was released a while back, and that was lovely. Some better pics on this page:

http://hugtee.spaces.live.com/blog/cns&#33...3!472.entry

Doesn't look so bad there, slightly gold-ish even.

Not a fan of metallic-looking consoles, and I also hate the glossy all-over style of the Slim PSPs, especially the back. The fat PSPs were best, with a nice glassy front, and matt back. This one is matt all-over, which will (hopefully) mean it'll be less slippery to hold, too! It's not going to cost me extra at all, and it looks like I'll be getting it with custom firmware installed.

I know it looks a little weird, but hey - it's something unique and different, right? Better than the usual boring old black/white/pink etc. consoles available. I've got a ceramic white fat PSP, a black DS Lite, and a Famicom GB Micro - wanted to go for something different this time. [​IMG]

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    thats the best colour you can choose, unfortunate for me i already have a psp slim lavender.

5. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    well each is own ... when i look at that bronze it remembers me of rusted garbage ... totaly no go for my eye.

i would even prefer lavender.

Currently i have a White one and a Black where i put a Crystal Blue faceplate on
    (one of those is for my cousin i am not rich or stupid to buy 2 for me in any way just to clear that out)

and i think the White one looks very good !

6. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, I managed to take a look at one in the flesh today. It really does look good, imo - the only thing I'm worried about now is that the matt finish looks like it might scratch off easily. Hmm, decisions...

Saw the Ice Silver PSP too... looked better than I expected, but still a bit too glittery and glossy for my liking. PSP Slim seems like a great machine btw, much more elegant and nicer to hold. Screen seemed a little brighter than the old PSP, too.

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Looks terrible to me, but to each their own.

8. deathfisaro

Canada
    I don't think matt coating is any weaker than gloss.

If you don't mind putting down some extra cash, check out ColorWare.
    A little pricey, yes. But totally custom color, and even though I don't see an option listed for matt finish, they'd probably do it if you ask.

If price was more appealing I would have got mine done.

9. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Is that in regards to my comment about the matt finishing scratching off (or being flaky), perhaps? That would be good to hear. You seem to know a lot about this sort of stuff, is this your line of work or something? [​IMG]

Never heard of Colorware before, but it certainly looks like an interesting site! The option to have the PSP modified in any colour I want is quite tempting, I must admit. However, there's always the risk of the modification not being done properly, the finish not looking nice and fitting with the original PSP design, or simply me not being happy with the final product. It'll be a lot of money wasted then.

10. deathfisaro

Canada
    Not my line of work, but comes from my hobby modeling experience.
    Gloss clear coats give some sense of thickness, as in it feels like there's a clear layer above the plastic. Personally matt clear coats give me an impression that it's grabbed onto paint more tightly. Even if I spray multiple layers, it doesn't look like it has a pretective clear coating compared to gloss.

But when I actually scratch it, I know it offers decent protection that the clear coat may be scratched the paint underneath stays safe. (Although, the damage done to the cleat coat will show)

And for ColorWare, I don't have personal experience with them so if you feel insecure, it'd be wrong for me to push you =P. It looks like they'be been in business for nearly a decade, so I felt reasonably secure about introducing the site to you, but no more I guess.

11. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    You know, I've just seen some pictures of the Felicia Blue PSP, and it looks gorgeous. A little bit feminine-looking perhaps, but lovely nonetheless. I'm thinking of going for that now...

12. deathfisaro

Canada
    You know what, that DOES look good. It screams byebye matt bronze [​IMG]

13. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    It definitely has the 'wow' factor, but still... I would feel a bit weird when whipping that out on public transport. Seems a little bit too glittery and sparkly. [​IMG]

The Matt Bronze, though... not exactly sure how to describe it, but the colour and slightly rough matt finish makes it look raw somehow, like it's been carved out of stone or something. Doesn't look like bronze at all of course, but it is still very unique and eye-catching. And of course very manly.

Bah. I'll have to quickly decide, otherwise I'll never end up buying the damn PSP.

14. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Did anyone see the unboxing of the blue PSPSlim that was just packaged with Madden? (It's on PSP Fanboy) Man that is a slick looking shade.

15. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I once had a blue phap psp and man it was nice, really thinking of getting the blue slim psp, but for what? are there any good games still coming out?

16. deathfisaro

Canada
    Does the blue slim look any different from blue phat in terms of color? I still have metallic blue phat, still looks good enough to me.

17. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, just a couple more Slim PSP questions before I order.

Firstly, can the original PSP AC adaptor be used with the PSP Slim? Don't see any reason why it couldn't, but I wanted to make sure.

Secondly (and this is rather trivial), is the pouch that comes with the PSP Slim any different to the fat PSP pouch? I'd expect it to be smaller (for a better fit with the new console), but from the pictures it looks exactly the same. I've seen some Slim PSP pouches on ebay (with a 'PSP 2000' logo), but they look cheap and fake... I don't think the official Sony pouches have '2000' on them.