mathematical puzzle calling all math greats!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by VashTS, Jul 3, 2012.

Jul 3, 2012
  1. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    Alright so the problem I need to solve is how many (or even just nonpossibilties) possible amts you can have in dollars based on 10 us currency notes. There are two known variables. One bill is a five...the other is the amt its between 30 and 300.

So in short there are ten bills USA currency and I need to know what amounts it can be or at least amounts it cannot be? Please help!!!!

2. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I can figure this out, but I don't quite understand what you need.

If there are 10 bills and one is a five, then there are only 9 others you need to figure out.

If the other 9 can be anywhere between 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 dollars then at this point you have 1 * 7^9 different possibilities.

Then if they can only be between 30 - 300, then you can rule out all of the cases that exceed 300 (like 100, 100, 100...). I think that's what you meant.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Why overthink it?

If you know for certain that one of the bills is a "5" and you have 10 bills with the AMT between 30 and 300, you could just as well count all the possible combinations of 9 bills with the AMT between 25 and 295, which is easier.

Now, consider the fact that there is a limited amount of note types, narrowing down your options.