Math question

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Feb 12, 2007.

Feb 12, 2007

Math question by jumpman17 at 5:40 PM (1,788 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    The forumla:
    m-M = 5log(d)-5

Now, does that mean I take the log of just d or do I take the log of d-5?

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    If only the d is in brackets, then you only take the logarithm of d.

I suppose the (d - 5) is less than zero in this case?

3. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    that means log(d) ... THEN minus 5

EDIT: You beat me to it [​IMG]

(Talking about math, I hate it [​IMG], or.... well it's hard)

4. mcbey

Member mcbey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry for asking but what branch of math is this?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth +1 to Issac and veho, some people do not like it but if you think about having constants or negatives first it reduces the chances of a mistake.
    @mcbey it could be many things but it looks like plain logarithms/exponential which are in fact an exceptionally important area.

6. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Yes, I must say logarithms and exponential functions are very important if you are planning to study at an university or such a place.

liniear algebra has been the hardest part so far... yuck!

Now we are playing with differentiation... like... Derivatives and anti derivatives... quite easy! [​IMG]

7. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Thanks for the answers.

This is for my astronomy class. Where m = the apparent magnitude of a star, M = the absolute magnitude of a star, and d = the distance in parsecs.

EDIT: Derivatives and anti-derivatives, I just had those last semester in Technical Calculus I. And they keep popping up in my Physics I class this semester too.

8. butaro

Member butaro GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    laplace transforms are fun as are maclauren series and his friends

9. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    ooh okay... this course is roughly translated to single variable analysis.. or something... [​IMG] math...

We will have physics I this autumn... [​IMG]

10. Veho

Croatia
    Around here it's called mathematical analisys 1.
    M.A. 2 would be multiple-variable functions, and M.A. 3 is complex variable functions.

And then there's Discrete maths (discrete/non-continuous functions), Numeric maths (interpolations, extrapolations, approximations, iterations, in short, ways to calculate decimal equivalents of discrete expressions, like pi/4 or log(75.2) and stuff), Stohastic maths (probability and combinatorics), Linear Algebra (matrices and vectors and linear operators), and chaos theory (everything).

11. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Linear Algebra is so hard.. even to think about it is hard... to calculate a vector in a 7-dimensional room.... it's much easier to just process the numbers, than to try to understand it all.
    But right now it's useful, and much easier to grasp, when using MatLab. Studying Hamming Codes now... THAT is much fun!

12. Veho

Croatia
    Yeah, well, it's easier since Matlab has functions that do all the meticulous calculation for you. For me, the hardest part of linear algebra is wrangling all those numbers... I always make mistakes when I try doing it "on foot"...

"Calculate A^4 when A is a 6x6 matrix with the elements as shown in Fig. 3.2. .... Use of calculators is prohibited... " [​IMG]

13. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    ouch.. that's just mean!
    Well, we aren't allowed to use calculators either... but when using matlab, you get a new perspective at it (we use it in a different course, with a lot of linear algebra implemented in it all).

Hamming Codes, if you havn't already, maybe you will, come across that... I think it's really interesting.
    (self "correcting" codes...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_Code

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    [Edit] Forget I asked, one look at Wikipedia and I've gone all "urk crazymaths!" [​IMG]

15. Smack

Member Smack GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You are doin Linear right now as well eh? I may have to remember this for when I am tearing my hair out. We are just covering vector spaces in n-dimensions right now and the theory you need to know for this subject makes your brain wanna explode. I truly envy anyone that can easily grasp this stuff as most of the people I know who are taking it or have taken it do not.

16. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    If you had to take the log of d-5, it would've been log(d-5) no ? Then it's just log of d and minus 5.. Don't you have it written on a paper ? It's freaking hard to type math stuff on computer !!

17. Nevin007

Member Nevin007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hahaha Linear Algebra was sooo easy at University of Michigan - Dbn. I waited a week before the test to even START the homework problems and I got an A in the class. Now what's difficult is this chapter I'm doing now "Fourier Representations of Signals and Systems". Now that's hard stuff. The chapter is 82 pages, almost all formulas!!!

18. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    God bless you hardcore maths nerds! I'm a chemist but I have a fellow chemist friend who only enjoys maths once you reach the level where they stop using numbers to represent anything. She misses her 3rd year advanced maths lectures.

19. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I'm not doing Linear now, I did a few months ago. Now we have the analysis course, which is rather easy right now, and we have, at the same time, an "applied mathematics to nature sciense and techniques" or something... (the MatLab course).

and the third and last one we are doing at the moment is Java programming... rather boring though.

20. Veho

Croatia
    We covered that in another subject... Digital Electronics. Logical circuits, binary code, redundant coding, self-correcting coding, multi-parity coding, cross-parity coding, and the implementation of all that into electronical circuitry. More transistor switches than you can shake a stick at [​IMG]