Hacking Massive Modchip Bust

aligborat69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL

UK Love to crack down on easy criminals and let the drug dealers and pimps get away because they are too dangerous to approach!

rozire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Dave McLuckie Cabinet Member for Community Protection said: “I am absolutely delighted that the hard work across the agencies has produced such excellent results. People should be aware that by buying pirated equipment they are buying something that is unlikely to be of good quality an ultimately leads to a complete waste of their money.”

rofl2.gif

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Modding systems is legal here in Australia so I am okay.

I'm pretty sure they're not, and there was a conviction that means there is precedent and thus it's easier to convict in the future...

I don't think modchips are "illegal"[1] in the UK, unless they contain infringing material like some of the Xbox chips did, and any charges here will most likely be for copyright infringement or counterfeiting for they discs they had.. hence trading standards being involved.

[1] In "Common Law" is isn't just enough to make "laws" you have to have precedent. Basically previous cases of the same "crime" by which a comparison can be made...

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL

UK Love to crack down on easy criminals and let the drug dealers and pimps get away because they are too dangerous to approach!

The UK seized 216kg of cocaine on it's way to mainland Europe in Gibraltar recently.. You realise there are different types of police for different crimes right?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can see it being really hard to catch the chinese mod chip manufactures. They'll probably be able to move premises in less than 10 minutes
laugh.gif

aligborat69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, there are different types of police for different crimes, i was just being sarcastic and saying they should have better things to worry about! LOL

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SHIT
BILLINGHAM IS WHERE CHEAPMOD IS BASED
I just sent my faulty R4 to them for a replacement

ohmy.gif

- Sam

yeah cheapmod were the victims, if you visit there site they've updated it with the following:

22nd June
After taking legal advice, we are no longer selling modchips. All references have been removed from the site.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting happenings, I too am interested in a DS mod chip (the only thing remotely related was an overclock and I think was all but disproven).

Got to love statements that are given though:

"A financial investigation under the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) is underway. This can lead to serious financial loss for those criminals involved."

Wow so as far as I can tell nobody has even been arrested, let alone charged, let alone convicted yet the wording suggests the final option there.

"Thousands of chips were found as well as blank media, duplicating systems and piles of consoles waiting to be chipped."

My kitchen is full of knives and my bank full of money (ok maybe not that full), guess I must have stabbed an old lady and stole here wallet on my way to buy some meth. Unrelated to this I will share my favourite occurrence once touted, US RIAA/MPAA (unsure which) goons go into someones house and come out with the "equivalent" of X number of drives, it turned out that they count fast drives as 2 drives.

"The successfully executed operation is the outcome of a scrupulously planned six-month investigation"

It took that long to find an address or two and some evidence of "activities".

@moshii that may be the case but I can assure you having lived in the north of the UK for the last few years there are far more pressing concerns. Guess the police chiefs and politicians need their palms or equally sensitive parts of the anatomy greased though.

Everyone else I will start taking bets on how long it takes for the "group" to get tied to "terrorism".

Edit:
If that photo is supposed to be evidence of wrongdoing I seriously hope my front door does not get kicked down any time soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup