• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,898
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted_171835

OP
_68523475_96263974.jpg

Over the past month, there has been a lot of backlash over the recent revelations of mass surveillance being carried out by the NSA against American citizens, foreign embassies and more. Quite a few people have decided to take action with a petition calling for full disclosure of the US's "spying" programmes as well as a real-world protest set to occur this Thursday.

Some of the web's biggest names have backed mass protests over internet surveillance carried out by the US National Security Agency (NSA).

The Restore the Fourth movement - referring to the US constitution's fourth amendment - said it wants to end "unconstitutional surveillance".

Reddit, Mozilla and Wordpress are among the big web names backing the action, due to take place on Thursday.

Almost 100 events have been planned across the US.

The site quotes a line from the fourth amendment which pledges "the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures".

As well as the "real-world" protests, many influential websites plan to display messages of protest on their homepages on Thursday, co-ordinated by a group called the Internet Defence League (IDL).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23160309

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite sure this is USN territory but I will leave it alone for the time being.

Personally I had kind of always assumed this was happening (technically speaking it is expensive but not necessarily hard) and decided "peh, not like there is anything that can be done really". Watching the realisation in some others has proven to be amusing though.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Not quite sure this is USN territory but I will leave it alone for the time being.

Personally I had kind of always assumed this was happening (technically speaking it is expensive but not necessarily hard) and decided "peh, not like there is anything that can be done really". Watching the realisation in some others has proven to be amusing though.
Prism + Trapwire.

person_of_interest.jpg

Nolanstradamus.

Reactions: Costello

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't really care as long as I can pirate and browse everywhere I want to go. I don't have any terrorist intentions too, so I really really really really doubt they'll check my facebook/mail/whatever. I just don't care basically

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I wasn't too worried about privacy, as I'm compensating that for having a lousy and boring life. But the development of the Snowden case is getting pretty disturbing.

I mean...America stops the private Jet plane of the Bolivian president, solely based on the RUMOR that that guy was on board.

Seriously, USA...WTF is this shit? The guy is a former NSA-employee who isn't even charged with a crime. You know damn well that's an act that has huge international consequences*. If that's a risk you're willing to take...then what kind of information does this guy have?

So yeah...I'm glad these protests are there. I was thinking of saying "they're hunting that poor guy as if he was a terrorist"...but I kinda get the feeling that in a way, he's hunted even MORE than terrorists (remember: in the aftermath of 9/11, some prominent Saudi families were put on a plane home by the US government).

*for reference: suppose Belgium flagged down Air Force one because there MAY HAVE BEEN an ex-employee on board. You would have nuked us off the earth.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...I wasn't too worried about privacy, as I'm compensating that for having a lousy and boring life. But the development of the Snowden case is getting pretty disturbing.

I mean...America stops the private Jet plane of the Bolivian president, solely based on the RUMOR that that guy was on board.

Seriously, USA...WTF is this shit? The guy is a former NSA-employee who isn't even charged with a crime. You know damn well that's an act that has huge international consequences*. If that's a risk you're willing to take...then what kind of information does this guy have?

So yeah...I'm glad these protests are there. I was thinking of saying "they're hunting that poor guy as if he was a terrorist"...but I kinda get the feeling that in a way, he's hunted even MORE than terrorists (remember: in the aftermath of 9/11, some prominent Saudi families were put on a plane home by the US government).

*for reference: suppose Belgium flagged down Air Force one because there MAY HAVE BEEN an ex-employee on board. You would have nuked us off the earth.

Even I don't like my own government, they're full of self-entitled, self-conscious douchebags who get upset just because an ex-NSA employee calls them out on something they knew they were doing was wrong. They're just butt-hurt and they seriously need to grow the hell up and realize that we, the people, will not tolerate this s**t.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Even I don't like my own government, they're full of self-entitled, self-conscious douchebags who get upset just because an ex-NSA employee calls them out on something they knew they were doing was wrong. They're just butt-hurt and they seriously need to grow the hell up and realize that we, the people, will not tolerate this s**t.

Does anyone ever like their government?

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/shady-companies-nsa/all/

http://www.businessinsider.com/israelis-bugged-the-us-for-the-nsa-2013-6

http://abundanthope.net/pages/True_...nals-Behind-the-NSA-Spy-Scandal_printer.shtml

snowdens "revelations" in glen greenwalds piece in the guaridian were not exactly any revelation at all, in fact the government had just admitted on CNN that it not only collects metadata but that it also records ALL digital communications just a week or two before glen greenwalds piece in the guardian , so its not exactyl breaking news or a secret

Reactions: g4jek8j54

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does anyone ever like their government?

Americans seemed pretty pleased to hear Obama say Osama Bin Laden was dead, so much so that they chanted "U-S-A" like they were world supremacists. Not sure if that's them liking the government, or their own stupidity.
Wifi being crap right now due to thunderstorm, so I can't find a reference.

Reactions: totalnoob617

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
USA spies on the web.
If that wasn't bloody obvious.

Pretty much every American action film made involves spying and what not.

I'll just continue like nothing has happened like I did a year ago.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
snowdens "revelations" in glen greenwalds piece in the guaridian were not exactly any revelation at all, in fact the government had just admitted on CNN that it not only collects metadata but that it also records ALL digital communications just a week or two before glen greenwalds piece in the guardian , so its not exactyl breaking news or a secret
Exactly. It's already out and in the open. I can understand why your government wants to capture him (even though I completely disagree with it), but damaging your international reputation for it is something I don't get. It's not like arresting him for revealing ugly truths is somehow going to make people un...know these things.

(oh, and...sorry, but I don't have the time to read all your sources right now. My apologies if this was already in the media you provided :( )

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. It's already out and in the open. I can understand why your government wants to capture him (even though I completely disagree with it), but damaging your international reputation for it is something I don't get. It's not like arresting him for revealing ugly truths is somehow going to make people un...know these things.

(oh, and...sorry, but I don't have the time to read all your sources right now. My apologies if this was already in the media you provided :( )

Precisely. Snowden tattled on the government's wrongdoing and they want to silence him. Sounds like an ideal situation between a bully and a small fourth-grader on the playground; you know it's not going to end well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.brandeating.com/search/label/News