Marvel's Spider-Man DLC story content announced ahead of the games launch

DlsnPJnVsAAzg8O (1).jpg

DLC story content has been announced for the upcoming Marvel's Spider-Man for PlayStation 4, which launches next week on September 7th.

The story content which is split into 3 packs of DLC available for $9.99 each or $24.99 for the pack has caused a bit of an uproar on Twitter with users asking why the content isn't available in the core package or why the game wasn't delayed to include it.

Insomniac Games; the developer behind the upcoming PS4 exclusive have defended the move, stating that the DLC is still in development despite the first part going live on October 23rd.

The DLC will be made available as follows:
  • October 23: Marvel’s Spider-Man: The Heist
  • November 2018: Marvel’s Spider-Man: Turf Wars
  • December 2018: Marvel’s Spider-Man: Silver Lining

Where do you draw the line with post launch DLC in modern games? Do you think this content should be available from the get-go when you pay full price for a standalone single-player experience or do you think developers are within their right to withhold planned content to release it as DLC?

Let us know your thoughts below.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dlc should be announced after you release a game.
depends on the DLC actually. Announcing "new full story in one year" like Zelda, Xenoblade2, witcher3 are fine, it just means they will reuse the same game's engine to release a new game's story. that's a good addon.
planning new features is fine too. they just plan supporting their game for few months/years.
Witcher3 even do free DLC, and only full new story are not free. that's how all DLC should be.

what's wrong is on release included DLC you need to pay to unlock.
Or, like the one in this game : releases are expected less than a month later, and are "Across three chapters, experience new story missions, challenges, enemies, ", which means you'll have to re-play the game if you already completed it, because it adds content to the main story and doesn't add new story.
a less than a month planned "fix" should just be included. or, if they are good developers, it was planned from the start like they said, then just release it as game update, or free dlc.

Post story addition DLC, characters, skins, etc., I think are fine. upgraded main story content should be released as free dlc or game updates.

Edit: I guess I didn't understand "across three chapters" and "story mission", I thought it was across the three already released chapters of the main story missions, not new added chapters. I've read it as "across the missions"

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: ShonenJump

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
depends on the DLC actually. Announcing "new full story in one year" like Zelda, Xenoblade2, witcher3 are fine, it just means they will reuse the same game's engine to release a new game's story. that's a good addon.
planning new features is fine too. they just plan supporting their game for few months/years.
Witcher3 even do free DLC, and only full new story are not free. that's how all DLC should be.

what's wrong is on release included DLC you need to pay to unlock.
Or, like the one in this game : releases are expected less than a month later, and are "Across three chapters, experience new story missions, challenges, enemies, ", which means you'll have to re-play the game if you already completed it, because it adds content to the main story and doesn't add new story.
a less than a month planned "fix" should just be included. or, if they are good developers, it was planned from the start like they said, then just release it as game update, or free dlc.

Post story addition DLC, characters, skins, etc., I think are fine. upgraded main story content should be released as free dlc or game updates.

Edit: I guess I didn't understand "across three chapters" and "story mission", I thought it was across the three already released chapters of the main story missions, not new added chapters. I've read it as "across the missions"
i feel like they should give their dlc plans a month after release or so instead of saying hey this more of what we have planned. Let us enjoy the game first and then give us Dlc and such. Its not like all those Dlc will come right after the game came out. So they could wait a bit before announcing season passes. You release the game then later announce the dlc or season pass to keep the attention of the game going in smooth phases. I would love if they did that cus then we might or might not know what's next in store for the game and the after the game release gonna asks things like "will there be Dlc ? Will there be free updates? Are they gonna make a season pass? also i don't like when come company announces a season pass but doesn't give us details what future content gonna give us.

Last edited by ShonenJump,
Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree about season pass.
either it's an episodic release (life is strange, telltall) and you get the full "season" (game) paid right away, or you just release a DLC-pack later to include all released DLCs which weren't announced at game release.
making unknown "season" content, is just paying for DLCs without knowing what you'll get, how many you'll get, or if they even planed some already.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: ShonenJump
D

Deleted User

Don't own a PS4 to get it, but if I did, this would have cancelled my pre-order. Whats the fucking bet the content is even on the disc too.

Friend of mine cancelled his pre-order over this. This shit is what's wrong with the games industry. DLC before the game is even fucking out.

Reactions: DarthDub

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well i just never buy any ps4 game on release date, because they will have latter releases with dlc on them via disc or code so i just wait tbh.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if it's a price problem, games often get a 50% sale on PSN, if not more with PS+
even retail shop have lower price than psn on old games.
we have enough games to play to wait until a good sale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.