Marvel's Midnight Suns reveals its tactical gameplay in new trailer

Revealed exactly a week ago was Marvel's Midnight Suns, a new game from Firaxis, the studio known for its strategy games like Civilization and XCOM. The initial announcement consisted of only a cinematic trailer, but now a new video has dropped, showing off what the game itself will look like. You'll play as a customizable player character and can control familiar Marvel superheroes in battle, as you form a squad of three characters. Similar to XCOM, you'll need to consider how to tactically position your characters in the field to take out your enemies. Combat is turn-based, but utilizes a card system for your attacks, while gameplay outside of battle will have you build friendships between your collection of heroes.

Marvel's Midnight Suns is set for launch sometime in March 2022, for just about every modern platform: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Epic Games Store and Steam.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And here I outright rejected the notion that a Marvel game might have character customization. :lol:

I'm into it, sounds like they included a ton of both mainstream and niche heroes to pick from. Looked like performance was bad/stuttering at certain moments throughout the trailer, hopefully those rough edges can be smoothed over before launch.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
0:24 "World's greatest storytellers"...eh, I'd like to respectfully disagree on that point, voiceover guy. I'd say ATLUS has better storytellers, for one, and Capcom can be quite remarkable too. Not to mention Monolith Soft.
And, well, 'twas DC with the amazing Animated Series last century, not Marvel.

0:28 Except that the logo clearly says "Marvel Midnight Suns" - no apostrophes there, and no 's' after "Marvel".
Misread the title; F. See me after class.

And why is there no male Hunter shown? Disgusting misandry; please rectify.
Where's the Fantastic Four? They haven't been mentioned by Marvel in years, as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure they purchased Fox a while back too so conflicting copyright shouldn't be an issue.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop that racket Iron man. I'm trying to sleep. Put some oil on that rusty armor. I hear that clank.
(TRANSLATION: This is not hype enough to wake me up for, wake me when a fighting game gets announced) :sleep:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has there been a good marvel game outside of maybe some xmen titles back in the 16 bit era, marvel vs capcom (which is basically capcom fighting engine with some custom characters), a handful of spiderman games (though that was mostly the PS2 era, with the vast majority of more recent entries* often struggling to get "fans of the franchise might enjoy it") and possible upset entry in The Punisher (granted getting anybody to mention anything other than interrogation scenes today...) also back in the PS2 era? I guess if I am allowing The Punisher then I will also consider Deadpool back on the 360 as something maybe vying for hidden gem status.

*there are possibly 7 spiderman games for the PS3/360 (PS3 maybe lacking a few while it took time to spin up) not counting any crossovers. Tell me something about any of them, or get someone to speak of it the same way they might the ones from the Tony Hawk people or the more recent PS4 effort. They even had a few done from comics perspective rather than films or TV shows.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Marvel turn based rpg? Seems promising, but I am hoping that it was recorded on a ps4, the trailer didn’t look ps5 worthy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Card system would most likely mean microtransactions for the good cards... :/

Man if only Insomniac Games made other Marvel Superhero games, that would be sick.
So true

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Card system would most likely mean microtransactions for the good cards... :/
I seriously doubt it. There's nothing to indicate this is a "live-service" game like Avengers, and with environmental damage included, the combat seems somewhat on the easy side even if you choose only to use "basic" abilities.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I seriously doubt it. There's nothing to indicate this is a "live-service" game like Avengers, and with environmental damage included, the combat seems somewhat on the easy side even if you choose only to use "basic" abilities.

Time will tell, I'm not interested but I sure hope not. I guess it's unlikely the devs who made Civ and XCOM would do so, but then again this is Disney thing.

Reactions: Xzi

Sillyrabbit222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but the whole "daily interactions" in the hubworld seemed live service to me. I want this game to be good because I love marvel and tactical RPGs. But if it ends up being full of micro transactions I wouldn't even be surprised.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but the whole "daily interactions" in the hubworld seemed live service to me. I want this game to be good because I love marvel and tactical RPGs. But if it ends up being full of micro transactions I wouldn't even be surprised.
Nah they're referring to interactions with each of the characters to strengthen your bond with them/unlock team-up abilities. I think if anything they'll do an expansion or two depending on how well the base game sells. That's more typical of Firaxis' monetization model.

To further put peoples' minds at ease: the game's Steam page is already up, and "in-app purchases" is not listed on it. That might change closer to launch, but I doubt it, as it's also listed as a single-player only game.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: