The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Amongst all the Marvel news of deals being broken and new TV shows being announced, the Marvel's Avengers game has seemed to slip off the radar. Developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix, the game has received its first look on the gameplay. The video features the Prologue/Tutorial section of the game, showcasing the combat, character specialties, and a small idea of the story. The game's initial release date is May 15, 2020.

Source

Reactions: NoNAND

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
is anyone going to talk about how the characters don't look anything like their cinema counterparts?

upload_2019-8-24_22-8-1.png
upload_2019-8-24_22-8-22.png

upload_2019-8-24_22-10-22.png

is it intentional?

Last edited by Costello,
Reactions: Humanity and NoNAND

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
is anyone going to talk about how the characters don't look anything like their cinema counterparts?

View attachment 177295

View attachment 177296

is it intentional?

Definitely intentional, they addressed it in the beginning. The voice actors are different as well. Though they look sort of weird though, like one person said, they're in between looking completely different and looking alike.

Looking at the gameplay footage, it looks clunky, animations don't snap smoothly and looks weird, definitely has that Square Enix vibe. And the sound design is bad.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Perhaps they have to downgrade the quality of graphics and textures a bit. Happens with many games, they give false impressions in the trailers but once the game releases is not as fascinating as it seemed to be.

Again as I said though, it's intentional. They want it to look like the comic book characters, and this game is not based off of the MCU. And it's no surprise the MCU characters look like the comic books, catch my drift? :P

“We knew we wanted to make an original Avengers game and go back to the roots in the comic books,” Crystal Dynamics creative director Shaun Escayg tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Escayg says that at no point during the game’s development process did they consider using the likenesses of the actors behind the MCU versions of the heroes. “We wanted to clearly show that this was our spin on the Avengers,” Escayg says. “Even the way we cast these characters was based on our story and our narrative.”

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/marvels-avengers-video-game-why-characters-look-different/

Reactions: NoNAND

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

View attachment 177295 View attachment 177296

View attachment 177297

is it intentional?
That already ruins the game for me.

I was going to ask if there will be a PC version with 60FPS but there we go. The game is rubbish already.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Again as I said though, it's intentional. They want it to look like the comic book characters, and this game is not based off of the MCU. And it's no surprise the MCU characters look like the comic books, catch my drift? :P

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/marvels-avengers-video-game-why-characters-look-different/
I am very certain the real reason is to prevent problems with the actors trying to get millions of dollars from Square Enix, and people complaining that the voices are wrong.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I am very certain the real reason is to prevent problems with the actors trying to get millions of dollars from Square Enix, and people complaining that the voices are wrong.

That could very well be the reason, but I don't know. And what do you mean by prevent people complaining that the voices are wrong? The voices are different, not the MCU actors, so they are "wrong" in your sense.

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That could very well be the reason, but I don't know. And what do you mean by prevent people complaining that the voices are wrong? The voices are different, not the MCU actors, so they are "wrong" in your sense.
Maybe they can use the real actor's faces for no more money but then people will be wanting the real actor's voices which will cost millions of US Dollars.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Maybe they can use the real actor's faces for no more money but then people will be wanting the real actor's voices which will cost millions of US Dollars.

Huh? Now you're saying they can use the real actor's faces at no cost? I'm confused. I'm certain the real actors (MCU) would have to be paid for them to appear in the game, they wouldn't do mocap for free, nor lend their "brand image" for free.

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Huh? Now you're saying they can use the real actor's faces at no cost? I'm confused. I'm certain the real actors (MCU) would have to be paid for them to appear in the game, they wouldn't do mocap for free, nor lend their "brand image" for free.
I dunno, maybe their faces can be used for free if they make a deal with the movie makers. I dunno the specifics of what contracts and other arrangements there are amongst all the various people and entities.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its definitely a due to the cost of using an actors likeness. If they wanted to make the in-game models be close to the actors they could but that would involve a ton of royalties to be paid. Same with voice acting, sure they could hire the original cast but that would cost Square a huge chunk of change given that all those actors and actresses are high level hollywood stars. So while it sucks they couldnt do that, its totally understandable why.

The game itself though, I want it to be fun but man it really looks like they just have the concept for the base game and nothing more. Animations, combat, and everything else look so clunky and rough. It does looks slightly better than what we say at E3 so maybe there is hope still but it needs a lot of work imo.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Its definitely a due to the cost of using an actors likeness. If they wanted to make the in-game models be close to the actors they could but that would involve a ton of royalties to be paid. Same with voice acting, sure they could hire the original cast but that would cost Square a huge chunk of change given that all those actors and actresses are high level hollywood stars. So while it sucks they couldnt do that, its totally understandable why.

The game itself though, I want it to be fun but man it really looks like they just have the concept for the base game and nothing more. Animations, combat, and everything else look so clunky and rough. It does looks slightly better than what we say at E3 so maybe there is hope still but it needs a lot of work imo.

They have a long time to refine it, so I hope they do. For now it looks like a mediocre or okay game, nothing like a Sony exclusive for example, which is what I would love this to be like.
Also again, the sound is bad. Thor's punches sound weird, and his hammer doesn't have enough "thump" to it, for example.

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If there is a PC version, we could get mods with the real actress' and actors' faces, at least.

Humanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The good thing is that this game is getting a PC release.

I hope to see the real actress' & actors' likenesses modded in to the game and the game running at 60FPS or more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup