Mario Party 64 romhack sees classic Mario Party boards get turned into platforming levels

Super Mario 64 romhacks have reached impressive heights, thanks to talented romhackers throughout the years, keeping the N64 classic alive and playable in ways never previously imagined. The latest release of a new project--Mario Party 64--attempts yet another interesting premise: recreating the original Mario Party game boards as fully-fledged platforming stages. The creator of this romhack, MrComit, managed to take classic Mario Party levels such as Yoshi's Tropical Island or DK's Jungle Adventure, and make them into their own adventure, complete with minigames and 70 Stars to collect. Version 1.02 is available to download in the video description as a .bps patch, which can be applied to a copy of Super Mario 64.

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being used to Super Mario 64 rom hacks that just recycle pre-existing mechanics and animations, this blew my mind. Looks like somebody has been playing with the decompiled code!

That guy deserves a serious chunk of cash.

Last edited by Argonitious,

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it on an Everdrive and, of course, it doesn't work. It always seems to be case with the SM64 hacks but not others. I've played extensive Banjo-kazooie, Goldeneye, and even Diddy Kong Racing hacks on an Everdrive, but not Mario. I know the reasons why, I just wish there was some kind of a movement to get these kind of hacks playable on real hardware. That way this stuff can reach a broader audience, not just someone with a PC.

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it on an Everdrive and, of course, it doesn't work. It always seems to be case with the SM64 hacks but not others. I've played extensive Banjo-kazooie, Goldeneye, and even Diddy Kong Racing hacks on an Everdrive, but not Mario. I know the reasons why, I just wish there was some kind of a movement to get these kind of hacks playable on real hardware. That way this stuff can reach a broader audience, not just someone with a PC.

Technically, putting games on your Everdrive requires a computer. You want to play the game on the real hardware. I get that. I'm just saying that doesn't mean you don't still have the opportunity to play the game in an emulator instead.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Excellent I knew nothing about this Rom hack it looks really good I’m definitely going to give this ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I’m sure it can be done I’ve used a sm64 Rom hack before in the past with a dstwo supercard it’s still on my the sd card I cannot remember of the top but I will edit this comment let you know
great i will wait for it.

skinnyBIGGS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Super Mario 64 romhacks have reached impressive heights, thanks to talented romhackers throughout the years, keeping the N64 classic alive and playable in ways never previously imagined. The latest release of a new project--Mario Party 64--attempts yet another interesting premise: recreating the original Mario Party game boards as fully-fledged platforming stages. The creator of this romhack, MrComit, managed to take classic Mario Party levels such as Yoshi's Tropical Island or DK's Jungle Adventure, and make them into their own adventure, complete with minigames and 70 Stars to collect. Version 1.02 is available to download in the video description as a .bps patch, which can be applied to a copy of Super Mario 64.

Thats awesome i loved that smw 64 star mod thanks for share

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, putting games on your Everdrive requires a computer. You want to play the game on the real hardware. I get that. I'm just saying that doesn't mean you don't still have the opportunity to play the game in an emulator instead.
I don't have a computer capable of running n64 at any speed.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I was wondering about that.... are the people trying on real hardware using an expansion pack? since from what I read it requires the 8mb of memory or if it was something else holding it back?

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe it just needs more RAM? SM64 romhacks often need 8MB.

By default, the 4MB expansion pak option is enabled within the config ini settings for the N64 VC's, so it's actually already using the 8MB of ram.
If the following entry is present in the config ini settings:
[RomOption]
RamSize = 0x400000

This means it's only using 4MB of RAM (Expansion Pak disabled), F-Zero X has the above entry in the config ini as default by Nintendo, without this entry the game will not work with 8MB Ram.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for the a bit off topic: which banjo-kazooie hacks could you play on the real hardware?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
By default, the 4MB expansion pak option is enabled within the config ini settings for the N64 VC's, so it's actually already using the 8MB of ram.
If the following entry is present in the config ini settings:
[RomOption]
RamSize = 0x400000

This means it's only using 4MB of RAM (Expansion Pak disabled), F-Zero X has the above entry in the config ini as default by Nintendo, without this entry the game will not work with 8MB Ram.
But the config is per game right? Why would they enable it for all games?

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But the config is per game right? Why would they enable it for all games?

Correct, the config is per game, not sure why they enable it for game that don't require it, I guess if a game doesn't require it, it doesn't use it and doesn't affect the emulator they are using.

Out of all the official N64 VC's released on the WiiU (21 N64 games), only the following games require the 8MB Expansion Pak:
DK64
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Last edited by xs4all,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I will be delighted when someone finally cracks all of Paper Mario 64 code, even Nintendo has problems with that game. Heck not even Nintendo official emulators can emulate the game at full accuracy.

Then again give it a decade more and software that fully emulates the Nintendo 64 hardware accurately will be a thing.

I wonder if we will get a full remake of Paper Mario (64) for the Switch?

Since the franchise last few games, save for Paper Jam, didn't do so well and so on.

And heck I would buy the game if it is an actual remake.

Even with the Switch weak hardware you can probably do something amazing Paper Mario style. Paper Jam might not have been the best game in the series but it looked quite good. And the Switch definitely has more powerful hardware.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I will be delighted when someone finally cracks all of Paper Mario 64 code, even Nintendo has problems with that game. Heck not even Nintendo official emulators can emulate the game at full accuracy.

Then again give it a decade more and software that fully emulates the Nintendo 64 hardware accurately will be a thing.

I wonder if we will get a full remake of Paper Mario (64) for the Switch?

Since the franchise last few games, save for Paper Jam, didn't do so well and so on.

And heck I would buy the game if it is an actual remake.

Even with the Switch weak hardware you can probably do something amazing Paper Mario style. Paper Jam might not have been the best game in the series but it looked quite good. And the Switch definitely has more powerful hardware.
well paper jam is more of mario and luigi series than a paper mario game, and the company that made the mario and luigi series went bankrupt so i dont know what nintendo will do with that series, i mean the remastered 2 of them, i would love for a simple collection , a paper mario collection including paper mario 64 emulated hirez textures hd and 60 fps same for thousand year door+ they could just trhow the awful 3ds game and the meh wiiu one and make it a 4 title collection, i would buy it in no time.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Correct, the config is per game, not sure why they enable it for game that don't require it, I guess if a game doesn't require it, it doesn't use it and doesn't affect the emulator they are using.

Out of all the official N64 VC's released on the WiiU (21 N64 games), only the following games require the 8MB Expansion Pak:
DK64
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
well you can install wii64 vwii inject with gamepad compatibility and it does indeed work there aside of the beep noises while loading stages and if you use the vwii inject overclock function its 30 fps solid from what i tryed, got 2 stars.

Jiansetic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe how advanced has become Super Mario 64 romhacking, some years ago there were only a few romhacks available, now there are tons of them!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins