Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story working on R4 (on mine,

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by mikeym1979, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mikeym1979
    OP

Newcomer mikeym1979 Member

United States
    Hey folks. I found a version of YSMenu that seems to allow usage of this game on my R4DS. I played it until the first Bowser fight, and it all ran perfectly. You can download YSMenu *snip

I apologize if this doesn't belong here, or in this section. The link I provided contains the YSMenu I've used in order to get this game working on my R4DS.

2. dave950

Newcomer dave950 Member

United States
    thxs it worked!
    i can i finally play now

3. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    Right, im using an R4 card, and i would like to know exactly what i need to do please [​IMG]

4. ShinAbo

ShinAbo Newbie

Not working ! [​IMG]
    any special way to install ?
    using the patched rom or just AR codes ?

5. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    It's not a very special way. Try this, here's a copy and paste from a PM I replied to outgum.

You basically download the game I linked to (I say this because it's the one that worked for me. There are other versions of the game, as well as "patched" versions, so I can't say if those other versions would work as mine has), use WinRar to extract the game to your desktop. Once that's done, download the YSMenu link I provided, and again, extract it to your desktop.

Then you place the teeny tiny card (I forgot the correct term lol) into the little device that connects into your computers USB slot. If you have ANYTHING in your R4 card, I recommend you make a copy of it and place it some where safe, as I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, and I'd rather not be held responsible for things potentially going wrong and data being lost.

Anyhoo, once you've backed your things up from your R4, freely delete everything from your R4, making sure it's empty. Then open up the YSMenu folder you have on your desktop, drag and drop the contents of the YSMenu folder into your R4 card. You should have a butt load of items in your R4 card now. Create a new folder in your R4 card, and name it "Games". Place your Mario & Luigi game that you just downloaded and extracted to your desktop, into the "Games" folder in your R4. After that, just remove the device from your USB slot, and place the iddy biddy R4 card into your DS and play. [​IMG] Should work. I mean, I have an R4DS using the same YSMenu. I'm really shocked, I mean...I had YSMenu before, and the game always froze when choosing a save file. I'm unsure what's so special about this version of YSMenu, but I'm grateful it allows me to play this game. Though, it irritates me that I'm unable to skin it myself lol.

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It's not the version of YSMenu that's special, it's the fact that it was built with the unofficial DSTT firmware with the fix for M&L3 that makes it work. Plus you do know that linking to roms or places with roms is against GBAtemp rules don't you?

7. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    No, I didn't know that. I really should get around to reading the rules here. [​IMG]' Does this mean I will be banned? I only did this thinking it would be helpful to some.

Edit: I'll remove the link in my first post. But, is it alright to keep the download link to YSMenu?

8. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    If you remove the link you should be alright. It's not against the rules to link to a download of YSMenu but the creator of the program prefers it if people don't, well to be more honest he absolutely hates it! lol He'd rather they got it from his site and built it themselves. There's plenty of threads with instructions on how to do it around, the thread about the new unofficial DSTT firmware has them. Like I said, it's not the YSMenu that counts for it working, it's the DSTT firmware it's built with.

9. mikeym1979
    OP

United States
    I see. Well, thank you for your insightful information. [​IMG]

10. origamimaker

Newcomer origamimaker Newbie

Brazil
    ...Let me see if I understood... You played Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story until first Bowser`s battle, right? And after that ? Did you have any problems (like the "infinite live" of Bowser in the first battle)? I really need to know because I don`t want to pay about 100U$ on a single game (I`m brazilian, and here the games are expensive)...

11. GamerLord

Newcomer GamerLord Newbie

United States
    AWESOME IT WORKS ON MY DSTT

12. outgum

New Zealand
    i got it working on my R4 without using YSMenu, I used R4i V1.11b on my standard R4 and it worked

13. Azariel_z

Member Azariel_z GBAtemp Regular

Turkey
    I always thought that using one of those other firmware on legit old R4 would brick your card, OR your NDS..

14. Laurennopolous

Newcomer Laurennopolous Newbie

United States
    wow i didnt think id ever get to play this game on my r4. but finally this!
    thxxx x10000000!
    [​IMG]

15. outgum

New Zealand
    beats me lol, Risk = Reward? bricking is when you update it online, These are just files? Shouldnt damage anything

16. leonster

Newcomer leonster Member

Korea, South
    So why, exactly, are we not supposed to get pre-made versions of YSMenu? I consider myself fairly tech and computer savvy as far as ordinary things go--heck, even out-of-the-ordinary, such as manually tearing apart my Wii modchip to get it to work in a different region than it was designed for! But even as an occasional user of Linux, I've never compiled anything from scratch, and don't see any need to do so now, when I could just download a zip file and place it on my card.

??

17. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States

Simple answer,the creator of YSmenu doesn't like having premade links posted on forums and such and has threatened to cut off working on it anymore if premade versions are posted,but from what I hear there hasn't been an update in a few months he may have already stopped support.....

18. ReDevil

Newcomer ReDevil Member

United States
    And how exactly did you accomplish that? The system files are different between R4 and R4i. Not trying to be a jerk, but until I see proof, YSmenu is the only thing I have seen work on an R4.

19. outgum

New Zealand
    Hmmmm hang on, i shall show you pictures

Edit: I dont know WHY it worked it just did O_O I tried making a video on my webcam but i dont know how to get it to video, but if you want even more solid proof, feel free to PM me your msn or instant messenger and ill webcam and show you [​IMG]

But here are the pictures i said i would get!

[​IMG]

20. ReDevil

Newcomer ReDevil Member

United States
    Oh, I see you have the R4 upgrade. Thats newer than the regular R4DS that I am using. I have to use YSMenu on mine to run Mario:BIS.